Desirability of a low mileage FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are full floated nice to have. Yes. Are they needed. No. Regardless, we’re all stuck with 30 spine shafts and considered losers in the offroad community

Haha, could be worse, could be Zuk axles!!

Here’s a pic of of 9.5 pinion compared to my old 14bt pinion.

IMG_8082.jpeg

FWIW I thought you were very reasonable here. And not that it matters, but I agree. The semi-float vs full-float debate is basically moot in 99% of uses.
I only have real data to go by. I wheeled my semi as much and often as most full floaters out here with upgraded axle shafts and all i know is my style of driving plus my semi float can handle the type of abuse i put forth on these axles on 37s as much as most hardcore rock crawlers in this community and i have yet busted a semi. Time will tell, but so far, they are holding up just fine and if it is good enough for me, i am sure it is good enough for 99% of those who run 37 or smaller tires...

Look no further than broken axle threads right her eon this forum or some vids on youtube....

Your single anecdote doesn't change physics or the overwhelming evidence between semi-float vs full-float. It's not even a debate.
I just read through 7 pages of a search for "broken axle". Every one referenced an FZJ80 with a FF rear. One mentioned a 100 Series SF rear.

I only have real data to go by. I wheeled my semi as much and often as most full floaters out here with upgraded axle shafts and all i know is my style of driving plus my semi float can handle the type of abuse i put forth on these axles on 37s as much as most hardcore rock crawlers in this community and i have yet busted a semi. Time will tell, but so far, they are holding up just fine and if it is good enough for me, i am sure it is good enough for 99% of those who run 37 or smaller tires...

FWIW, I've never broken a semi-float axle or a CV on IFS despite running every trail in Moab to include those rated at a 9 and every non-buggy trail in CO :)

Some people really like 3fe 80s. It should bring some decent money. I like the simplicity of my 92, and they are great vehicles. I don't love early 80s enough to pay a ton of money for one unless it had a cammed 6.0 swap, hydroboost, updated interior including heated and cooled seats, and later model e locker axles swapped in.

We are going a bit off topic here, a sub 50k miles early model 80s should fetch decent cash, if the body is straight, zero rust underneath and have full functional and clean interior. With that said, most ppl on MUD would agree that a clean low miles 80s from the West coast in stock or close to stock trim should fetch decent money in the used car market especially given that fine clean examples are getting harder to come by especially for a late OBDII models with lockers option.

Ok lot to read. But someone asked for the story, here it is:

1) Owner purchased a LS400 and a FJ80 same day, brand new. 80 series was wife's car, LS400 is his and he still has (50k or so miles when it last month).

2) His wife had a pretty bad health condition, and 80 was hardly driven, except for servicing and once in a while by him.

3) She passed away. He hasn't been able to get the heart to sell the truck. He still isn't there.

He is deciding between, either selling it, and split the profits 2 ways between 2 grand kids 529c, or giving it to his son.

*I make no profit from this sale. I am not interested in buying it. I am not interested in buying it to flip it. He was a mentor to me, and a long term friend, and due to him I have been able to be successful in life. I owe all my success to him, and he is a father figure in my life. Thus looking to get some info from you guys, to pass it along*

1) Owner purchased a LS400 and a FJ80 same day, brand new. 80 series was wife's car, LS400 is his and he still has (50k or so miles when it last month).

2) His wife had a pretty bad health condition, and 80 was hardly driven, except for servicing and once in a while by him.

3) She passed away. He hasn't been able to get the heart to sell the truck. He still isn't there.

He is deciding between, either selling it, and split the profits 2 ways between 2 grand kids 529c, or giving it to his son.

*I make no profit from this sale. I am not interested in buying it. I am not interested in buying it to flip it. He was a mentor to me, and a long term friend, and due to him I have been able to be successful in life. I owe all my success to him, and he is a father figure in my life. Thus looking to get some info from you guys, to pass it along*
#3 - I doubt he will sell the truck now if he wasn't ready back then. I would just give it to his son so he can take his grand kids wheeling/camping and be reminded that their grandma is with them in spirit.

#3 - I doubt he will sell the truck now if he wasn't ready back then. I would just give it to his son so he can take his grand kids wheeling/camping and be reminded that their grandma is with them in spirit.
Absolutely, that may end up happening.

The issue has been, he told me "could you find a value for it, before I make a decision." I just haven't been able to find a value. I know the later 80 series low mileage, are valuable trucks, but the earlier 80 series low mileage, I haven't seen any comp to provide him any concrete info.

The reality is, if it is cleaned up and placed on BaT with the story, it will bring huge money, in spite of it being a 3F-E.

You need to encourage and assist him in getting it where it will benefit him and his family in the largest way possible.

The history of the 91-92 are shown below and you can get a quick price range. Most of these have many more miles, but there are the rare ones. Yours would fall in the lower mileage range. Possibly as much as the $56K range realistically. I think we may have missed that bnubble here, but it can still be significant.

1991-1992 TLC FJ80 on BaT

If it's perfect and has 27k miles on it and always garaged...I'm going to guess between 30k and 65k on bring a trailer. It's kind of hit or miss on the 80s that are more basic models. I would plan on getting 30k for it and if it goes higher that's a bonus. Some of the low mileage 40th anniversary ones go over 100k.

@BILT4ME has shown the best comps in terms of the max that it may bring.

You'll notice that the 91/92 80s that sold for the most in the sales history chart were LS swapped or diesel imports, etc. Here are the listings that seem like they have the most overlap with US spec, low mileage, one-owner 80s though all are higher mileage than your friends 80 is.

$25k to $30k seems possible depending on how it shows and market timing. The miles are low enough that it could catch the eye of collectors (vs. drivers) that are willing to pay more, if it's condition matches.

Another relevant detail is how much time / $$ may go into the listing process and then how much BAT may skim off of the top. I assume it's easy to find more details about that online or from folks on mud. BAT is likely your best option for getting the highest sales price but other options, like mud classifieds, may be easier in some ways (and harder in others).

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the BaT link. I have looked through as much as I can to get the best idea. I initially thought $25K or so. Reading what you guys are writing sounds like $30K or so is more reasonable.

I am going to print out this thread this weekend (yes need to do that), and take it over to his house and show him the info. I will delete the "float axle" stuff :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom