Desirability of a low mileage FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

As lots of you know me over the years, I have had and enjoy lots of LC (40/60/62/100/200). I have never gotten into the 80 (life just didn't work out for some reason on the 80s for me). I know the desire-able years, etc.

I have a friend who has a 27K mile, 1 owner FJ80 92 model. It isn't going on BaT or Mecum. It isn't for sale, as he is starting to give it some thought.

What do you guys think of the market or valuation of the early 80 USDM trucks?

Since it's a 3F-E, I'll limit it to $60,000.05.

I own one for almost close to a decade now. The 91 92 is very underrated in the MUD community as most ppl elect to pick the more desirable OBDII and 4.5L engine with lockers offered as an option.. With that said, the more utilitarian nature of the 3F-E platform is best suited for a dedicated trail rig, a farm rig or just a grocery getter or for weekend overlanding. If you are looking for more creature comfort and better highway manners, the 4.5L is better fit. With that said, the 91 92 USDM trucks are starting to come up in price in the used market world and IMO, they are fantastic rigs for the money, probably not for long...

friend who has a 27K mile, 1 owner FJ80 92 model

That's a cool bit of info since you likely know the history and it may possibly be a very nice 80. You seem to already know the general desirability and values of different versions of the 80 series so I assume you are trying to ask about the potential value of your friends 80. I don't see how you will get useful value ideas on this particular 80 without providing more information as mileage and owner count are near useless on their own for determining value.

Generally the earlier models are worth less than the later models. Beyond that location, condition and motivations of buyer and seller prevail.

Go ahead and tell us the whole story with pictures. Even if it doesn't help you or your friend we all want to see this 1 owner 27k example! ;)

Oh, and to counter @BILT4ME I'll say $40,000....

I own one for almost close to a decade now. The 91 92 is very underrated in the MUD community as most ppl elect to pick the more desirable OBDII and 4.5L engine with lockers offered as an option.. With that said, the more utilitarian nature of the 3F-E platform is best suited for a dedicated trail rig, a farm rig or just a grocery getter or for weekend overlanding. If you are looking for more creature comfort and better highway manners, the 4.5L is better fit. With that said, the 91 92 USDM trucks are starting to come up in price in the used market world and IMO, they are fantastic rigs for the money, probably not for long...

Semi-float axles are undesirable for many looking to off-road. One of the chief reasons the early 80's were ruled out for me.

Semi-float axles are undesirable for many looking to off-road. One of the chief reasons the early 80's were ruled out for me.
i have wheeled my semi float for as long as i have owned it on 37s and many hard trails and i have yet to break one...knock on wood. It isn't a deal breaker for me, many 1 tons, 3/4 tons out there are mostly semi floats and have proven their places. Unless you go 40s or have bad driving techniques, full float or semi float both get the job done. Sure full float is more desirable, but most 80s owner will never benefit from them or will never tell the diff. overlanding their 33s or 35s

And with that said, how many semi float FJ80s have broken axles or have had issues with them?
I wheeled the crap out of my 91 running 36" TSL/SXs with ARBs front and rear. Never an issue.

Easily more desirable than a stock FJ62 to me!

Being said, it will not command FZJ price levels, maybe 1/2- 2/3 value of what an equal later version will command.
IMG_9384.jpeg
IMG_9383.jpeg

Caught this one around town a few days ago! One owner, 54k miles, immaculate original!

many 1 tons, 3/4 tons out there are mostly semi floats and have proven their places.

All solid front axles are full float, and all 1-ton rear also full float. Full float axles are also standard on 3/4 ton trucks.

Semi-float axles are more common on 1/2 ton trucks, SUV's and older small-batch light duty 3/4 ton. None of which are used for axle swaps outside of cheap junkyard builds and are also vehicles that are not wheeled.

I won't presume what other 80 owners do, I only know those who wheel.

The point remains, less people want semi-float, which translates to a smaller market of people willing to buy an early 80

And with that said, how many semi float FJ80s have broken axles or have had issues with them?
I wheeled the crap out of my 91 running 36" TSL/SXs with ARBs front and rear. Never an issue.

Look no further than broken axle threads right her eon this forum or some vids on youtube....

Your single anecdote doesn't change physics or the overwhelming evidence between semi-float vs full-float. It's not even a debate.

All solid front axles are full float, and all 1-ton rear also full float. Full float axles are also standard on 3/4 ton trucks.

Semi-float axles are more common on 1/2 ton trucks, SUV's and older small-batch light duty 3/4 ton. None of which are used for axle swaps outside of cheap junkyard builds and are also vehicles that are not wheeled.

I won't presume what other 80 owners do, I only know those who wheel.

The point remains, less people want semi-float, which translates to a smaller market of people willing to buy an early 80
Sure, not to mention all jeep Wranglers, JK, or JL all comes with Semi float rear.... they must be junk for those who wheel or mostly rock crawl....

Sure, not to mention all jeep Wranglers, JK, or JL all comes with Semi float rear.... they must be junk for those who wheel or mostly rock crawl....

That doesnt change the fact that you said 1-tons are semi float. They arent...

It also doesn't change the fact that most Jeesps that wheel, swap to 1-tons especially after their first break.

It also doesnt change the fact that the Dana44 on Jeeps is now FULL FLOAT

It also doesn't change the fact that most Jeesps that wheel, swap to 1-tons especially after their first break.

It also doesnt change the fact that the Dana44 on Jeeps is now FULL FLOAT

OK buddy, i am done with this debate...nothing new. Your full float takes the cake buddy. I am happy with my semi- float and until they break. It is what it is...and I know i didnt pay a premium on a 93+ for something that looks good on paper.

OK buddy, i am done with this debate...nothing new. Your full float takes the cake buddy. I am happy with my semi- float and until they break. It is what it is...and I know i didnt pay a premium on a 93+ for something that looks good on paper.

Cool story, like I said, it's not a debate. I'm just pointing out that the market will be smaller. You trying to argue just makes you look foolish.

Not really. Fusion or Prorock 44 can handle 37s or 38s all day long. Many of my buddies on 40s or 42s have 1 ton swap in the rear, UD60 or similar. They are also semi float. I wheel with jeeps more than most ppl on here. Not foolish.

Obviously I am getting sucked in on the Fj80 vs FZJ80 debate again and i promised i won't fall for it again...lol
Good try. I am happy with my 91 92 with s***ty semi float and a ancient motor, and i bet it will out last your 4.5L. full float or not...

Not really. Fusion or Prorock 44 can handle 37s or 38s all day long. Many of my buddies on 40s or 42s have 1 ton swap in the rear, UD60 or similar. They are also semi float. I wheel with jeeps more than most ppl on here. Not foolish.
ProRock 44 is a Full-Float Axle... lol
The UD60 is also full float....lol

Dana 60s are good axles but fall short compared to one-ton axles, thats why they kind of died out in the 80s and 90s

Last edited:
Obviously I am getting sucked in on the Fj80 vs FZJ80 debate again and i promised i won't fall for it again...lol
Good try. I am happy with my 91 92 with s***ty semi float and a ancient motor, and i bet it will out last your 4.5L. full float or not...

I hope it does.

FWIW I thought you were very reasonable here. And not that it matters, but I agree. The semi-float vs full-float debate is basically moot in 99% of uses.

FWIW I thought you were very reasonable here. And not that it matters, but I agree. The semi-float vs full-float debate is basically moot in 99% of uses.
Are full floated nice to have. Yes. Are they needed. No. Regardless, we’re all stuck with 30 spine shafts and considered losers in the offroad community

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom