Dealer screwed up alternator replacement, HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't done it myself but from the pics and vids I have seen I am surprised that the engine would need to be lifted out to remove that cover / housing :). I seem to recall that it is right there up front easily reachable. But could be mistaken on that.

At this rate, if they (and you?) keep finding "problems" you'll have a new engine soon... Don't mean to be a party pooper but I'm hoping you won't have a nasty surprise come bill time... You better have everything iron-clad in writing with no fine print. Hoping for the best!

Unfortunately the oil pick-up tube is connected to the oil pump. Both oil pans must be removed to get at pick-up tube securing nuts.
Someone in mud is attempting to pull pump now, without pulling engine. It can be done! But makes remove oil pans a bear.

interesting, good to know about that pickup. Thanks.

Hate to hear this. We would have followed the following process at our service department (Toyota) here in Lubbock:

Mistakes happen. I've had master techs that have worked on Toyota's for 30 years break bolts. Call customer and explain situation. Ask for more time with the vehicle to allow a second tech to try and remedy the situation properly. If that works, all is well and customer gets vehicle back with work done properly, maybe a discount coupon for the time inconvenience depending on how long it took. During this time, research the service history of the vehicle and see if they alternator had ever been replaced. If so, look into the possibility of improper installation. If not, assume liability and begin looking at repair options. Involve customer in discussions and make it right, regardless of what it takes.

We've eaten entire motors due to technician mistakes. Not every dealer is out to scam it's customers.

Hate to hear this. We would have followed the following process at our service department (Toyota) here in Lubbock:

Mistakes happen. I've had master techs that have worked on Toyota's for 30 years break bolts. Call customer and explain situation. Ask for more time with the vehicle to allow a second tech to try and remedy the situation properly. If that works, all is well and customer gets vehicle back with work done properly, maybe a discount coupon for the time inconvenience depending on how long it took. During this time, research the service history of the vehicle and see if they alternator had ever been replaced. If so, look into the possibility of improper installation. If not, assume liability and begin looking at repair options. Involve customer in discussions and make it right, regardless of what it takes.

We've eaten entire motors due to technician mistakes. Not every dealer is out to scam it's customers.

I don't believe they were out to scam me. I've done tons of work with them. I just think they were hesitant to take the hit initially before they knew all the circumstances surrounding the work and what I authorized and how poorly the work was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom