Dealer screwed up alternator replacement, HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dealer snapped off the lower bolt on the alternator trying to remove the old one. Tech said it must have been cross threaded by the previous mechanic. But to my knowledge this is a factory alternator. No aftermarket markings or history of alternator change . Service said they'd have to drill it out. I asked if it was on it's own bracket or the cast part of the engine. He said it's own bracket, I took his word and told him to drill it out and put a nut on the end. This is how they drilled it...

Called me back in and said there wouldn't be enough metal left to mount the alternator and they'd need to replace the entire bottom of the engine. Quoted me 3200 but would do timing belt, water pump and everything else while doing it. 21 hours of labor, basically an entire timing belt job and more..

Does this look like a professional drill out? Way off the bolt, you can see the original threads where the bolt is. Need some thoughts and opinions on how to handle this one. Paid 3.5k for the vehicle so there is no way in hell I'm paying that to have them fix their mistake.

Last edited:
Wow looks like amateur work, i bet he cross threaded it when he put it in himself and snapped the bolt. Talk to the service manager, then call corporate Toyota, heads gotta roll for this.

I can't do anything to help here but I am very sorry it happened. I know that has to be an awful feeling and prognosis having to get anything out of the dealer.

Wow looks like amateur work, i bet he cross threaded it when he put it in himself and snapped the bolt. Talk to the service manager, then call corporate Toyota, heads gotta roll for this.

Opened a case with Toyota corporate, going in tomorrow morning to see what the service manager can swing with a senior tech coming in as well. Happy I'll have Corporate as a backup if the dealership wants to make me pay for anything more than the alternator change.

Very sorry to read that. Can't quite figure out the pic, but seems like it's time to look at the fine print on your estimate, I'm sorry to say. However, seems like most issues of that nature should be able to be redrilled properly and rethreaded, maybe after some welding to fill in or reinforce. Which should not come close to 3K.

Very sorry to read that. Can't quite figure out the pic, but seems like it's time to look at the fine print on your estimate, I'm sorry to say. However, seems like most issues of that nature should be able to be redrilled properly and rethreaded, maybe after some welding to fill in or reinforce. Which should not come close to 3K.

It's the bottom bolt mounting location on the engine. They tried to drill it out and apparently completely missed the bolt and took away too much metal too close to the edge and say it has to be replaced

Youre not responsible for the tech’s/dealership’s rookie mistake. It really sucks when a service dept diverts responsibility on the customer It happens all the time which is why its so easy for them to play you.

You have and they have the service history on your truck- if there is no record of the alt being replaced they cant argue it was a result from a previous service. If it can be proved it was cross threaded- whos to say it didnt happen during assembly at the factory?

They should know that this bolt can be problematic on aged trucks ( many here know) and taken precautions when removing.

So be prepared for several rounds of back and forth. Hold your ground and accept nothing less than a corrected solution to their mistake with in the original estimated cost repair to RR the Alternator.

If you inspect your removed alternator, to compare this is the original I pulled out of my truck last week- 2005 model 195k notice the yellow sticker with Toyota and the part number

I've had two close calls dealing with those bolts. So much so that i order new ones when i have to touch them.

And just so you know, the dealer needs to eat this job 100% and charge you for an alternator r&r only. Don't accept any other outcome.

If i drop your car off my lift it's my fault, not yours for choosing me to work on it. This is exactly the same thing. And moreso if it's the original factory unit.

Just see what they and Toyota say. If they are in the wrong and don't make you whole within a reasonable amount of time, well, it's easy enough to go through small claims. (But be sure you get the truck out of there first and beware of mechanic's lien ugly potential...) If you end up having to fix it, don't assume you have to replace the whole thing. "Enough metal" can always be added by a good welder. Of course, depending on access to the location that may or may not be easy or even possible in situ...

Any DIY'rs attempting this job; spray this bottom bolt from the backside and side of the Alt where the bolt slides through with PB Blaster or AeroKroil preferably a day or even a week ahead of your job (if you have time this will aid in removal). If you live in the Crust Belt or spend time in & out of the water, put a dab of grease in the back side of this bolt hole; there is about 1/4~1/2" of open space in there that crud, corrosion builds up. This will help minimize the corrosion effect on the threads. Order a new bolt as well and replace with the alternator.

90119-10791 BOLT(FOR ALTERNATOR LOWER)

Those bolts are known too break during disassembly. More so when using and air wrench. If you search mud you'll find it. The two minute attempt to remove it, was a poor one!

Replacing oil pump housing is one solution, as they are suggesting, $3,200. Which if someone else is paying for great go for it!

Another solution, as suggested above, is to find a wielder at a machine shop that specialize in aluminium. <$320. Done with skid plate and hoses pulled out of the way.

Bolts break, don't sweet it!

They managed to drill out the bolt. Senior tech seemed to fix it. helps support the thought that it was due to an inexperienced technician. There is still that small drilled out hole to the left but they're going to mount everything up and see if it holds well. Seems like there is a good amount of metal there left. If there is any movement or alignment issues I'm having them replace the entire thing. I will ensure I have a guarantee from them saying they'll replace everything if it fails or doesn't line up.

Last edited:
I broke that exact same bolt off while changing the timing belt a few weeks ago. After a few futile attempts, I ended up drilling it and then used a through bolt. Even though I was successful in drilling it straight through, I still didn't bother re-tapping the threads and used a longer bolt with a locking nit on the back. Here's a clearer picture of the offender.

20190313_102851-jpg.1926523

Have them weld up the wrong hole, leaving it could weaken the integrity of that boss.

Requested they do that and they said they don't weld nor think it's necessary. I told them if they bolt the alternator up, I take it and it breaks they will cover the cost of it. From the service manager "Then we're in the same boat we were yesterday. And I'll help you out with it". Called corporate again and updated them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom