ATF? leak after dealer repair work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, All.
I took my ‘05 LX470 to my nearest Toyota dealer for a pretty good list of repair items I didn’t want to take on. New front upper and lower control arms, new shocks, new radiator, hoses, thermostat, fan clutch, and new exhaust manifolds and gaskets. I picked it up after hours this evening and noticed dealer didn’t get my engine splash guards reinstalled. I’m glad I took a closer look because that led me to see a small puddle of fluid on the asphalt under engine / trans area, however, I didn’t observe any dripping while I was looking. Unfortunately, due to a recent back injury, I couldn’t get down low enough to check for leaks on the engine / trans. I drove fairly slowly down the highway to a close by gas station to check again and observed red fluid dripping from my truck. I moved the truck to get a better look. No strong smell from the fluid. It was definitely red. The truck smelled a little hot. The fluid felt a little viscous and appeared to be running down side of trans. or engine oil pan. So, I limped it back to the shop and threw keys back in drop box. Trying to see what might cause this with a severe back sprain wasn’t happening. Could a cooler line get knocked off during exhaust manifold or radiator work and leak in this area? I had no fluid leaks (aside from slight engine oil weep from VC gaskets) when I dropped off truck for this repair work. Unfortunately, I was in enough pain I couldn’t tell if fluid was running down side engine oil pan or transmission case. Any thoughts / recommendations appreciated. It seemed to be shifting OK, best I could tell. I drove the truck about 4 or 5 miles total from dealer pickup to return. But there was a fair amount of fluid lost…however, not a complete blow-out like I recall having on an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer I once had.

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2399.jpeg

Shields not re-installed? ATF leaking in PUDDLES?
I wrenched in dealerships for years, and there is NO excuse for not completing the job to the way in came in except poor ethics and a flat rate mentality.
Sure hope you don't get the "uh... they weren't on there when it came in" thing.

Good luck with getting a great resolution to the issues.

That almost seems more like coolant than ATF. I see some white spots on the frame which is dried coolant.

The orientation of your pic appears to be Left side. And you had a lot of cooling system work done. Did they do heater T’s with the rest of that laundry list?

My guess is they borked some of the coolant lines at the rear of the engine. Either a T disintegrated or you have a larger issue with a coolant bypass pipe on the rear of the engine.

I would get some good light and inspect from the top driver’s side. Start looking for those white deposits or crusty pink bits.

That almost seems more like coolant than ATF. I see some white spots on the frame which is dried coolant.

The orientation of your pic appears to be Left side. And you had a lot of cooling system work done. Did they do heater T’s with the rest of that laundry list?

My guess is they borked some of the coolant lines at the rear of the engine. Either a T disintegrated or you have a larger issue with a coolant bypass pipe on the rear of the engine.

I would get some good light and inspect from the top driver’s side. Start looking for those white deposits or crusty pink bits.
Thanks, I guess it could be coolant but it felt a little slimy when I swiped it off the concrete at the gas station. My sense of smell isn’t the best, but the fluid almost seemed odorless which is more likely coolant, correct? I did notice overflow tank was basically empty. Truck was cold when I looked. Seems like coolant overflow should maybe be 1/4 to 1/2 toward full line on a cold truck? I can bend at the knees but my back won’t allow me to bend over fender to look down in engine bay. They were to replace the heater Ts based on my request.

Since I just changed my radiator on Monday I can with 100% certainty say that Toyota SLLC is very slimy without much of an odor. The ATF I lost during my change was more pungent and a lot more cherry red than your pic.

Coolant res should be between Low and High marks. Kind of doubt they spent the time burping the system properly and double doubt they would have vacuum filled it.

Hi, All.
I took my ‘05 LX470 to my nearest Toyota dealer for a pretty good list of repair items I didn’t want to take on. New front upper and lower control arms, new shocks, new radiator, hoses, thermostat, fan clutch, and new exhaust manifolds and gaskets. I picked it up after hours this evening and noticed dealer didn’t get my engine splash guards reinstalled. I’m glad I took a closer look because that led me to see a small puddle of fluid on the asphalt under engine / trans area, however, I didn’t observe any dripping while I was looking. Unfortunately, due to a recent back injury, I couldn’t get down low enough to check for leaks on the engine / trans. I drove fairly slowly down the highway to a close by gas station to check again and observed red fluid dripping from my truck. I moved the truck to get a better look. No strong smell from the fluid. It was definitely red. The truck smelled a little hot. The fluid felt a little viscous and appeared to be running down side of trans. or engine oil pan. So, I limped it back to the shop and threw keys back in drop box. Trying to see what might cause this with a severe back sprain wasn’t happening. Could a cooler line get knocked off during exhaust manifold or radiator work and leak in this area? I had no fluid leaks (aside from slight engine oil weep from VC gaskets) when I dropped off truck for this repair work. Unfortunately, I was in enough pain I couldn’t tell if fluid was running down side engine oil pan or transmission case. Any thoughts / recommendations appreciated. It seemed to be shifting OK, best I could tell. I drove the truck about 4 or 5 miles total from dealer pickup to return. But there was a fair amount of fluid lost…however, not a complete blow-out like I recall having on an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer I once had.

View attachment 3569675

View attachment 3569676

View attachment 3569677
This leak ended up being coolant from one the hoses that drops down from one of the Ts behind the engine. They replaced those hoses- all good now. The splash guards got reinstalled, as well. Good dealer / people; just seems to be a shortage of help these days and a rush to get work done on flat rate jobs. Frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom