dash cap on earlier years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been wondering what to do for awhile and will still be on a look out for original dash cap... but i can take pics of the install and update what the finished results look like... my original is pretty messed up and cracked and ugly...so with new headliner and door pannels and cargo pannels on the way... need a semi good looking dash...lol

Noah, You found the aloof clean used dash pad. Now those are rare birds. Good for you!!! Sitting under a mulberry bush for decades. Who woulda thunk it.

Fjfjfj...got the cap in and I was wondering when yall cut off the center section for the cap...was it all metal behind it.. or did yall Have to fab a piece?

on this, I pondered this for awhile, I don't think it would come out looking good, I may be wrong but after laying the later style over the earlier style dash I just think it would come out looking weird, especially since the "cap" material is plastic and it will be hard to get it to lay flat and even with the existing dash.

I was lucky enough to source an almost cherry new early dash from a friend up in canada. Had been sitting under a mullberry tree in moist weather for decades. :)

it is my "precious"....

Noah

Let's get that thing reproduced!

No idea how to get it reproduced. I guess the moisture kept the dash and everything else in perfect shape while the metal rusted. It has one spot that has small crack but the rest of it is perfect. It soaked up armor all fora week after I got it

No idea how to get it reproduced. I guess the moisture kept the dash and everything else in perfect shape while the metal rusted. It has one spot that has small crack but the rest of it is perfect. It soaked up armor all fora week after I got it

I think we determined someone with a 3D scanner and printer could do this?

I know Jeff Zepp of Rising Sun is in the 3D printing business.

honestly I can't imagine it will be a cheap endeavour. You can get your existing dash redone for around 700-800 bucks as far as I remember. The differential would have to be large enough to make it worth the time. Of course I know nothing as far as 3d printing, etc so if someone has any advice let me know.

I pinged jeff to see if I have his email correct, if someone has his correct email let me know, I will ask him what the cost would be to get them redone and if it is even possible.

Good deal man! Did you ping him on the Rising Sun forum?

I can check for his email...

so I chatted with Jeff Zepp, one hell of a nice guy, we came to the conclusion that doing this type of item in a 3d printer would be very expensive, much more than just having a dash restoration shop recover your existing dash. Sorry guys, it's a no go.

Talked to him about the same thing a few weeks back.

There has got to be a way to get this done, producing very small quantities of all the formed interior components.....haven't figured it out yet, though.

Can you go all metal? My 40 was like that and it looked good.

not sure on early dashes, but here's a 78 dash sans the padding

DSC07626.JPG

DSC07627.JPG

Just an idea. To do it simple, why not Use a later dash from SOR or used one in good shape and add a repro for the center section created with wood and vinyl or 3d printing then glue it ??

Can you go all metal? My 40 was like that and it looked good.

not sure on early dashes, but here's a 78 dash sans the padding

Oh, yeah! This was what I was hoping was under there.

attachment.php

Consider that along with J Mack's work:
IMG_20131022_160057_714_zpsac89179b.jpg

I'm starting to think, "forget the whole dash as it just gets in the way of a roll cage."

Strip it down to like as in nuclearlemon's photo and in the dash pad's place have a bar go across below the windshield and put a rollcage pad on it. Below that have a completely flat dash panel like an FJ40, maybe even with some FJ40 dash components visible in the end.

Looks like the defrost vents would still remain without any work.
attachment.php

Nuclearlemon, any chance you can confirms that a flat plate dash panel would easily stretch form side to side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom