CV Boots/Axle/Front Bearings Replacement side effects help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Team -

235k, just had CV boots/axle/front bearings replaced by my good friends Les and Schwab. The job and time required are above my paygrade, so didn't even want to try. This felt like a pretty straightforward decision.

Now - experiencing a very specific side effect that did not exist previously. Quite simply, under acceleration starting at about 60mph (like an onramp), I'm getting low level vibration feedback coming from the front end. Low level meaning, I'm not experiencing an earthquake, but its a humming steady vibration. Can feel it through the steering column and front seats. As soon as I'm off the accelerator/coasting, its gone.

I've taken it back twice to LS to have them check their work, most recently including taking it out with both the tech (who did the work) and manager. They confirm that the work they completed checks out, and suggest that the vibration is a previously existing condition that is now noticeable because of the work they completed.

All other variables that I can possibly think of:

All stock except:
* Tundra wheels
* 305/65/18 KO2s
* TT sway bar links
* 1.25" Bora spacers

Last note - recently tightened my driver's side torsion bar. Initially made a bonehead move by sticking my jack under the lower control arm skid and using that as my jack point. Proceeded to loosen up the T-bar only to notice that taking out the tension caused the wheel to completely sink into the wheel well. Quickly jacked back up via the frame rail and finished up. I only mention this in the event that having the shock under full compression with no t bar support may have toasted the shock (or something else) and has something to do with what I am currently experiencing. However if that was the case, seems like I would be experiencing the issue more frequently than just while under acceleration.

Throwing this out there for those of you who are farther down this trail than I am, appreciate any insights.

replaced by my good friends Les and Schwab
That’s problem #1.

just had CV boots/axle/front bearings replaced
They likely did not torque the wheel bearings to the spec’d breakaway preload and, because the bearings are loose, you’re getting vibrations.

Alternatively, were the CV axles new OEM, new aftermarket, or reman units? New OEM axles is about the only surefire way to not get vibrations.

Last edited:
I think @JunkCrzr89 is on point. Could this have anything to do with improper C-Clip sizing?

Bottom line is if the problem didn't exist before and does exist now it shouldn't have much to do with the other variables you mentioned.

Or maybe ask Schwab how they torqued it all down. Schwab can be hit or miss, they do work on big heavy machines and trucks so I'd hope they have some know - how in this repair.

>> Any chance this problem existed before and you are now just tuning in to it?

That’s problem #1.

They likely did not torque the wheel bearings to the spec’d breakaway preload and, because the bearings are loose, you’re getting vibrations.

Alternatively, were the CV axles new OEM, new aftermarket, or reman units? New OEM axles is about the only surefire way to not get vibrations.
thanks @JunkCrzr89

First - I'm realizing the error in my ways with taking it to Les, but enlighten me - where should I have taken it (for future reference)?

Second - it was the one piece CV axle and boots swap exercise. So I believe that falls into the remanufactured category. Also they replaced both bearings at the same time, as mine were beyond saving.

Also they replaced both bearings at the same time, as mine were beyond saving.
Who did the last wheel bearing job?

My money is still on Les didn't set the bearing preload correctly and your wheel bearings are loose and causing a vibration. Or they didn't sufficiently grease the new bearings, which are now about to disintegrate and blow your wheels off. Either way, your sparkly new wheel bearings will be "beyond saving" in short order if not remedied quickly. BUT, for your sake, I hope I'm wrong.

but enlighten me - where should I have taken it (for future reference)?
If I'm not mistaken, in a previous thread a few months ago, you mentioned your plan to take the truck to Les Schwab and I and others chimed in advising you against doing so (but maybe that was someone else). Nevertheless, I strongly suggest a Land Cruiser specialty shop, or at least an independent Toyota specialty shop. Based on your location, the most logical place to have work done on your 100 would be Torfab ( @torfab ) an hour north of you in Everett. They're a Land Cruiser specialty shop that's been in the game for a long time and are highly recommended by PNW folks: Torfab » The NW destination for Land Cruisers parts and service, including complete one-off custom built Cruisers, maintenance, suspension, and expedition builds - https://torfab.com/

I have noticed grease from the rubber boots on both sides of the CV axles. Should I replace the CV axles, or is this normal wear? The rig is a 2007 LX470 with 90k miles.

20221104_154304[1].jpg

20221104_154141[1].jpg

20221104_154021[1].jpg

20221104_154029[1].jpg

Last edited:
Any monkey can replace a CV axle; no specialized training required. A Toyota tech is certainly not a requirement.

While I normally agree with you statement.. there is something to say with doing CV axles on any car 10x times and knowing yes its done right.. and this is obvious...b/c u do it so may time you know or have a better idea of how the job's done..

anyways in this case the FSM does a good job of showing how to do the CV axles...so follow that and you can get it installed properly 9/10 times.

- @JunkCrzr89 so reading a lot about the vibrations on the LC/LX. I think it depends on a LOT of stuff.. like CV axles, front bearings, many many bushings (front and back), Universal Joints etc. and even then there might be a vibrations..lol so right now I just think just live with the vibrations at highway speeds.

Any monkey can replace a CV axle; no specialized training required. A Toyota tech is certainly not a requirement.
To be clear - any monkey cannot. You would think they could, but I'm living proof that this is unfortunately not the case. Thus the string. Proceed with caution with that assumption.

If I'm not mistaken, in a previous thread a few months ago, you mentioned your plan to take the truck to Les Schwab and I and others chimed in advising you against doing so (but maybe that was someone else). Nevertheless, I strongly suggest a Land Cruiser specialty shop, or at least an independent Toyota specialty shop. Based on your location, the most logical place to have work done on your 100 would be Torfab ( @torfab ) an hour north of you in Everett. They're a Land Cruiser specialty shop that's been in the game for a long time and are highly recommended by PNW folks: Torfab » The NW destination for Land Cruisers parts and service, including complete one-off custom built Cruisers, maintenance, suspension, and expedition builds - https://torfab.com/

That wasn't me, but wish I had seen the advice. Yes familiar with Torfab, hindsight is always 20-20. I'll give them a call and see if they have any ideas. Before my wheels blow off as you forecast, hopefully.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've lost count of how many FDS (AKA CV's), how many diff side seals, how many axle bearing and bushing, how many wheel bearings and all its hub components, how many snap rings, how many grease caps, how many ball joint, how many ball joint boots............ I've replaced, because some "monkey" replaced a FDS!

Thinking, a tire shop is good place for any other service than tires, is a big mistake. Even using an INDY shop that works on all makes & models, is asking to increase long term cost and reduce reliability. Even using these chain brake shops for our brakes, is a mistake. One that almost always leads, to increased repair cost. Even "some" Toyota tech mess this stuff up, but they're better than most other options.

- @JunkCrzr89 so reading a lot about the vibrations on the LC/LX. I think it depends on a LOT of stuff.. like CV axles, front bearings, many many bushings (front and back), Universal Joints etc. and even then there might be a vibrations..lol so right now I just think just live with the vibrations at highway speeds.
I completely agree, but OP’s situation likely rules out many of the potential causes. He had No vibrations prior to wheel bearing and CV axle replacements, now has vibrations afterwards. As @2001LC so eloquently noted, a chain store like Les Schwab is extraordinarily capable of NOT following the FSM when doing wheel bearings and arguably most folks (including a lot of 100 owners here on MUD) don’t get the bearing preload within spec, resulting in loose bearings and vibrations.

I completely agree, but OP’s situation likely rules out many of the potential causes. He had No vibrations prior to wheel bearing and CV axle replacements, now has vibrations afterwards. As @2001LC so eloquently noted, a chain store like Les Schwab is extraordinarily capable of NOT following the FSM when doing wheel bearings and arguably most folks (including a lot of 100 owners here on MUD) don’t get the bearing preload within spec, resulting in loose bearings and vibrations.

Totally understand your point @JunkCrzr89

There are more CV axle and wheel bearing job **** ups on this forum than anything else.

Replacing the wheels bearings for sure is a tricky job to trust someone else with. Getting the outer races seated all the way in without doing damage, packing the hub with grease per the FSM picture, packing the bearings with grease, getting the right pre load on the bearings and following the procedure in the FSM to settle them (rotating the wheel etc). I don't trust anyone else to do that for me.

There are more CV axle and wheel bearing job **** ups on this forum than anything else.
True.

I have noticed grease from the rubber boots on both sides of the CV axles. Should I replace the CV axles, or is this normal wear? The rig is a 2007 LX470 with 90k miles.

View attachment 3159291

View attachment 3159292

View attachment 3159294

View attachment 3159298
Depends on how long they have been doing this and how much grease you think you've lost. These cvs have a s*** ton of grease in them so a little seeping isn't going to hurt them. But you should at least cut off the old clamps and reclamp them. The rolled edge band clamps work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom