Custom SS exhaust for the 80 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
pd 2000.00 drove 600 miles to have it installed in under 2yrs have had 11 separate issues, SS pipe shattering like glass (in Ouray) blown out header gasket 2 months after install. all gaskets smoked. now this. Anyone know of a exhaust guy, that will make it for real?? trucks sounds like S*&^ AGAIN over 800 in on the road repairs. Already had welders and exhaust guys look at it, and explain its the wrong thickness SS
DSCN2508.JPG
DSCN2509.JPG
DSCN2510.JPG

Wrong type of stainless. It appears that the tubing is 300 series and the muffler is possibly something different. This can happen when shops are lied to by the people selling the mufflers. Watched it first hand when a shop outsourced their exhausts and the first couple batches were good, but then the overseas production started using cheap s*** products without approval.

If you want a truly lifetime exhaust have a shop build it out of 300 series, 304 or even better 316 and use a name brand muffler also made from 300 series.

Last edited:
Wrong type of stainless. It appears that the tubing is 300 series and the muffler is possibly something different. This can happen when shops are lied to by the people selling the mufflers. Watched it first hand when a shop outsourced their exhausts and the first couple batches were good, but then the overseas production started using cheap s*** products without approval.

If you want a truly lifetime exhaust have a shop build it out of 300 series, 304 or even better 316 and use a name brand muffler also made from 300 series.
And make sure it gets welded with 308.or 309 wire (or TIG filler rod)

Just to play devils advocate here.... Could it be a usage issue?

You are taking a fancy hand made exhaust and tossing it between rocks and a 6,000 lb rig.

This probably isn't the best way to find solutions with vendors, like when you said Delta VS "Takes forever to ship... Just Saying" in one of your videos. The first order I made had their boxes landing on my porch in 3 days.

I have no dog in this fight, I just wish people would try to find more positive solutions. Especially in a small community like us 80 series guys.

sorry to hear.
I had stainless exhaust needs before i knew about OTRAMM. ended up with a Borla cat back stainless system. good fit, easy install but now i think it was a mistake.
good luck

devo

His is made by OTRAMM....

@OTRAMM have you changed the tubing size yet on SS exhaust mines broken more times that I can count. I wat it fixed its sounds badass, but breaks, shatters or leaks constantly

I'm using the thickest tubing you can get without moving to pipe. We've got quite a few out in the wild now. Your's is the only one I've heard of having an issue. Have you broken more than that front mount? The only part that you've told me has broken is the front mount. Everything else you've had an issue with has been with the Magnaflow down pipe. The down pipe is not a part we make. We fixed the down pipe leaks when you brought it by after we figured out that the Magnaflow gaskets don't last and switched to the Toyota ones. If you've had additional problems with the exhaust itself you haven't relayed them to me.

Since you live on the east coast you're going to see rust like that on lower quality stainless. Thickness is not as important as the nickel content in the metal. For that area I'd go with 316 stainless.

As for the break it looks like the insertion depth was no where near enough. With that short of length into the muffler that pipe will be able to wiggle around it will break at the weld since that is the most brittle area.

Weld type is important too. TIG is the preferred method with stainless filler rod.

The tubing is 14 gauge 304 back purged and welded with 308. I'd have to call and see what the mufflers are made of since we don't make them in house. We've got quite a few exhausts out there and RFB's is the only one I've heard of having issues. The gasket complaints he has are with the Magnaflow downpipe. We replaced them under warranty when he brought it to our attention that they were leaking. We go above and beyond to make things right for our customers, but I can't fix things if I don't know there's an issue.

Just to play devils advocate here.... Could it be a usage issue?

You are taking a fancy hand made exhaust and tossing it between rocks and a 6,000 lb rig.

This probably isn't the best way to find solutions with vendors, like when you said Delta VS "Takes forever to ship... Just Saying" in one of your videos. The first order I made had their boxes landing on my porch in 3 days.

I have no dog in this fight, I just wish people would try to find more positive solutions. Especially in a small community like us 80 series guys.

This has to be the issue.

I have the original stainless exhaust from OTRAMM. Been on the truck for just about or over 3 years now. No issues at all with his craftsmanship. The one problem I had was with magnaflow’s gaskets; which OTRAMM replaced, as he did for RFB, with Toyota OEM.

I also live on the east coast, deal with similar conditions, and wheel a truck that weighs in at 7400lbs.

Maintenance: Shortly (no more than 2 days) after each wheeling trip, I thoroughly clean the undercarriage. Learned with my previous vehicle that leaving trail reminants and road salt/brine for that mater will tear up anything.

Anyhow, that has been my experience. Everyone has different usage, but in this case the same product; so you choose how to proceed.

Again: No issues with this exhaust to date.
Will post pics later this week.

Also: I had two custom exhausts built previous to OTRAMM’s first one didn’t last 3 months, and 2nd lasted only a few weeks.
Good Luck on your searches for quality.

The tubing is 14 gauge 304 back purged and welded with 308. I'd have to call and see what the mufflers are made of since we don't make them in house. We've got quite a few exhausts out there and RFB's is the only one I've heard of having issues. The gasket complaints he has are with the Magnaflow downpipe. We replaced them under warranty when he brought it to our attention that they were leaking. We go above and beyond to make things right for our customers, but I can't fix things if I don't know there's an issue.
yea actually I replaced the gaskets on the downpipes in MOAB , because when I showed up at your shop you only had one. And the pipe shattering like glass has happened in ouray(had to get repaired there) then again in north carolina and then one more time in colorado springs. still have slips from getting all three when I tried to contact you turns out i was blocked. And all repair welders told me it was wrong SS tubing.

The Mufflers and headers are magnaflow and they claim to warranty for lifetime. I just need to know if ANY of this salvagable? at ll never had any issues with previous exhaust, I swapped to SS because A. I figured it would last longer and be LAST exhaust I would ever need and B to support a MUD member, and I sure held up my end.

We replaced both gaskets. You've never reached out to me that I've seen other than bitching on the internet. I haven't received a phone call or email from you. I'm done with dealing with you. We went out of our way to fit you in several times as you rolled through for other repairs. No mention of any of that. Not sure how someone can say it's the wrong tubing. Again, we've helped you resolve the issues you brought to our attention. Can't help you with anything else. There's a common denominator is all of your problems, you should try looking there.

This isn't an issue with wall thickness or strength. This is an issue with corrosion. Since you live on the east coast some of this is to be expected, although I will admit this looks like advanced/deep rust for a couple of winters. Also, like @OTRAMM said, call him first prior to airing it out on a public forum. Keeping things private was your best bet for getting an easy resolution.

Preventing corrosion on exhaust systems is not an easy task. It's not as simple as slapping on a coating or using a specific type of alloy. Magnaflow is a massive company with a large RND budget and they still have issues with premature corrosion. Even Toyota has had some major problems with their exhausts rusting out. I've seen 4 yr old 200's with rust worse than that here in MN.

Last edited:
If I went with an exhaust like ottram I would have it ceramic coated before installation

another issue could be the mounting points for the exhaust. if they are hard points without insulators and dont allow any flex in the exhaust cracks and damage can occur due to expansion when the exhaust heats up as well as when the truck flexes off road. hard mount points will put stress on the weakest points and cracks will develop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom