Custom exhaust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There was no problems welding during my recent exhaust remodel.

Before and After exhaust <link

except you falsely list it as 49 state legal. we know cali is out, but now you can throw out colorado. i got nailed for only having when cat since the truck called for two and i have heard i'm not the only one...that makes it only 48 state legal;)

except you falsely list it as 49 state legal. we know cali is out, but now you can throw out colorado. i got nailed for only having when cat since the truck called for two and i have heard i'm not the only one...that makes it only 48 state legal;)
Howdy! I thought Colorado was pretty much the same as Az, in as much as there is no visual inspection for OBD II rigs. Did you fail the plug-in first, or what?? John

Are you OBDII?

it is obdii and there is a visual. always has been. the nuclearlemon passed sniffer 16 years ago and failed visual, that's why it is no longer. the 80 passed the sniffer with flying colors last year, but failed visual for not having both cats.

stupid emissions nazis.:mad: the visual should have nothing to do with it! it should only be on the actual pollutants! it's all politics, money and bull^$@#:mad:

it is obdii and there is a visual. always has been. the nuclearlemon passed sniffer 16 years ago and failed visual, that's why it is no longer. the 80 passed the sniffer with flying colors last year, but failed visual for not having both cats.

stupid emissions nazis.:mad: the visual should have nothing to do with it! it should only be on the actual pollutants! it's all politics, money and bull^$@#:mad:

They sniff tested your OBD II 80? A quick search shows no sniff test required on ODB II in CO.

entire front range area except for southern is now in emissions areas. these are the denver area sniffer requirements, which are, btw, stricter than when the truck was built. :mad:

1982 & Newer Light-Duty Truck Limits

Model Year CO HC NOx
1982 65.0 6.0 6.0
1983 65.0 6.0 6.0
1984 55.0 5.0 6.0
1985 45.0 4.5 6.0
1986 40.0 4.5 6.0
1987 30.0 3.5 5.5
1988 25.0 3.0 5.0
1989 25.0 3.0 5.0
1990 25.0 3.0 5.0
1991 25.0 2.5 4.5
1992 25.0 2.5 4.5
1993 25.0 2.5 4.5
1994 20.0 2.0 4.0
1995 20.0 2.0 4.0
1996 20.0 1.2 3.5
1997 20.0 1.2 3.0
1998 20.0 1.2 2.5
1999 20.0 1.2 2.0
2000 + 20.0 1.2 2.0

Anyone have a high flow cat welded straight to a stock Y-pipe? I'm having trouble (and so is my exhaust guy) sourcing a Y-pipe for my custom exhaust build. I know about the cat-less EMS y-pipe, but I'd like to not pay that much.

Anyone have a high flow cat welded straight to a stock Y-pipe? I'm having trouble (and so is my exhaust guy) sourcing a Y-pipe for my custom exhaust build. I know about the cat-less EMS y-pipe, but I'd like to not pay that much.

that's where the one i had to add got stuffed. the original one i put in is welded to the muffler (i bought the rig with the stock cats cut out)

^so you welded the new high-flow cat straight up to wear the original cat was cut off the Y-pipe?

Summitracing.com has some y-pipes... but it is crazy tight getting up in there where the stock y-pipe is. If you extended the primaries it might be easier to get to.

A lot of us are using the original y pipe all the way past the turn back towards horizontal. Then weld on the cat. Are you missing the y pipe? John

yep. next time i'll relocate the 02 sensor farther up, so i can move the cat farther forward.
1.jpg

Depends on where you are in CO. Emissions vary by county. Down here in El Paso cnty, we have no emissions. For now...

Definitely not statewide. In fact, most of Colorado (geographically speaking) does not have any emissions. We used to have tests, but no one cared what equipment you had, and they got rid of it because they realized it didn't improve air quality. A trip to the Front Range quickly confirms the same is true there.

Got cruiser back from shop last night and it is night and day difference on ground clearance from tucked out of way cat and over frame piping. And NO CEL on dash!!!

First couple pics are factory exhaust and pics after those are are finished Single 99306HM cat and rerouted pipe.

Now I can start on my sliders, yeah

Topher
image-846553190.jpg
image-4140990571.jpg
image-262739833.jpg
image-2301305363.jpg
image-2449701801.jpg
image-1698346022.jpg
image-403550945.jpg

Looks good! You might want to wrap the section that goes up and over your frame rail with header wrap. I had to as the exhaust heated up the floor board and created bad smells inside the cab.

Atoyot1031 said:
Looks good! You might want to wrap the section that goes up and over your frame rail with header wrap. I had to as the exhaust heated up the floor board and created bad smells inside the cab.

Okay. I didn't think of that till someone mentioned a few posts before also. Def makes sense. Thank you

A lot of us are using the original y pipe all the way past the turn back towards horizontal. Then weld on the cat. Are you missing the y pipe? John

Well, my y pipe and 1st cat have some holes. my y pipe has a leak right at the fork where the pipes meet so it likely can't be reused. so i could buy something like the bosal i guess. but that is oem-like and that cat wouldn't be tucked neatly and unexposed. i suppose i could have my exhaust guy cut the cat off the bosal and just weld a single high flow cat on that is neatly tucked underneath. that just seems like a waste of a new cat though.

Good to see this thread is showing some good ideas! I am happy with the hi-flow cat I welded to the factory Y-pipe. I kept the O2 sensors in stock location. The clearance is not stellar at the muffler (stock), but hugely improved at the cat. Pics of what was, and what now is are below...
IMG_0648.jpg
IMG_0646.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg

I left my welder at a friends house and he ran it out of argon, so I had to use fluxcore wire. Gotta love the spatter. It was easier to weld after I put the truck on its roof though!:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom