Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool beans.

I would just encourage anyone looking to intercool there diesel to do a bunch of research. I did and made my choice based on my intended use and geographical location with lots of steep mountain passes that can have you at peak boost for well over 20min at a time. My solution may not fit another, was just offering my input.

YMMV
I will have to do some research on my own and see what Jonesy's says when they get the engine in. We don't have the mountains down here but lots of 100 degree days.

Dave,
When it comes time to make a decision I may call on you to see your setup since your local.

That is the big difference; the amount of time you spend under boost heating the water. If you spend a lot of time under boost you will heat all the water in the tank and the only way to get rid of the heat is through the exchanger. So if you are doing a lot of climbs through the mountain, going slow without a lot of air movement you will have heat soaked the water. But in Texas there are very few mountains and when you are in boost it is usually a few seconds of heavy footed driving.

I can watch my IAT go up under boost and then under cruise watch it quickly drop to my "normal" summer heat soak temp of around 119-122. I know it is kind of an apples to oranges comparison but I am running a fairly small turbo, small enough I see boost on little hills or even just increasing my speed via the cruise control. I have about a 6 gallon system.

I think Wheeling definitely has a concern, I would look at how big a tank you could fit and if it is under 2.5-3 gallons I would say it probably won't be a great solution.

I will have to do some research on my own and see what Jonesy's says when they get the engine in. We don't have the mountains down here but lots of 100 degree days.

Dave,
When it comes time to make a decision I may call on you to see your setup since your local.

Cool, no problem. One more diesel cruiserhead in Austin!

That is the big difference; the amount of time you spend under boost heating the water. If you spend a lot of time under boost you will heat all the water in the tank and the only way to get rid of the heat is through the exchanger. So if you are doing a lot of climbs through the mountain, going slow without a lot of air movement you will have heat soaked the water. But in Texas there are very few mountains and when you are in boost it is usually a few seconds of heavy footed driving.

I can watch my IAT go up under boost and then under cruise watch it quickly drop to my "normal" summer heat soak temp of around 119-122. I know it is kind of an apples to oranges comparison but I am running a fairly small turbo, small enough I see boost on little hills or even just increasing my speed via the cruise control. I have about a 6 gallon system.

I think Wheeling definitely has a concern, I would look at how big a tank you could fit and if it is under 2.5-3 gallons I would say it probably won't be a great solution.

That's where diesel's create the heat soaking issues. Also what separates the gas from diesel characteristics. On the hwy its not uncommon to see (depending on the turbo and engine) 3-8psi at all times and it just goes up from there when you get to a hill. About the only time a diesel is not producing some form of boost is deceleration. So a diesel requires much more intercooling capacity over a gas engine in most cases and why I mentioned a large capacity of cooling fluid.

One place where WTA shines in in its packaging no argument there its impressive how much options there are for cores, condensers and so on to fit almost any set-up. I did lots of research on it before settling on my choice and trust me I wanted to go WTA. In the end ATA won on the cost, simplicity and endless supply of cooling (ambient air) in my case. I did not allow budget to dictate it one way or another. If WTA had been a better match for me I would have done it.

Anyway enough of my OT side track.

The swap is looking great, look forward to watching it take shape.

:cheers:

Yeah I was agreeing with you, I think it can be made to work Gomez is proof of concept, I think A2A is a great solution and even in my thread its what I said I would have preferred but the packaging of a big A2A intercooler with a bumper, winch, lights etc makes it very difficult. And the people I have seen when they do it they usually run the piping under the frame or don't have a winch bumper, etc.

The other aspect is wheeling or slow speeds an A2A is basically worthless. I think it's just going to end up being user and use dependent and more important than the method of intercooling, is going to be the execution.

Yeah I was agreeing with you, I think it can be made to work Gomez is proof of concept, I think A2A is a great solution and even in my thread its what I said I would have preferred but the packaging of a big A2A intercooler with a bumper, winch, lights etc makes it very difficult. And the people I have seen when they do it they usually run the piping under the frame or don't have a winch bumper, etc.

The other aspect is wheeling or slow speeds an A2A is basically worthless. I think it's just going to end up being user and use dependent and more important than the method of intercooling, is going to be the execution.

I know you where, I was just explaining it with a bit more detail to the masses. ;)

I know myself going from the performance Gas to Diesel world has been a total re education. :D

any update on this? jonesys said they were busy with "paying work" in the predator thread, so i'm guessing they have been busy with this truck!

I should have another round of photos with an update this week. Talked with with the shop last week and they said its been real busy with all their projects so things have been moving slow but progress is getting made.

Engine is painted and sitting temporarily in the engine bay. I really like the Kubota grey paint Jonesy's used for the engine.

any update?

Nothing since the last round of photos. Been busy working lately so I have't bugged the shop for updates.

I am going to do the same exact swap! very excited, have contacted jonesys, they told me they weren't going to offer a kit, they do all the work...? I almost have everything I need, however the T-case adapter is killing me. anyone know where I can find one? or where jonesys got theres?

I Aint gonna jack your thread or whatever, just beyond stoked! Subscribed!

And also, how'd the trans fit/locate? what shift plate did you use?

Thanks much!!!!

I am going to do the same exact swap! very excited, have contacted jonesys, they told me they weren't going to offer a kit, they do all the work...? I almost have everything I need, however the T-case adapter is killing me. anyone know where I can find one? or where jonesys got theres?

Thanks much!!!!

dieseladapters.com

full conversion kit is susposed to be out this month

We are not selling a retail DIY conversion kit that maintains the stock auto transmission, if that is what you are talking about.

Contact diesel adapters for said DIY kit if you want to do the conversion yourself, maintaining the stock auto.

While we no longer support the DIY stock auto diesel conversion, we will soon offer a Diesel Conversion Kit that includes motor and transmission mounts for the Cummins 6BT and NV4500.

Otherwise, we do diesel conversions at our shop. :cheers:

Thanks much!!!!

We are not selling a retail DIY conversion kit that maintains the stock auto transmission, if that is what you are talking about.

Contact diesel adapters for said DIY kit if you want to do the conversion yourself, maintaining the stock auto.

While we no longer support the DIY stock auto diesel conversion, we will soon offer a Diesel Conversion Kit that includes motor and transmission mounts for the Cummins 6BT and NV4500.

Otherwise, we do diesel conversions at our shop. :cheers:

I am also not jacking...:D

Ball park price on the kits? Will it mount to the original tcase or do we have options??

Awesome! thanks for the help! still gonna watch this thread like a hawk!!!

Much appreciated! cant wait for the kit

Making some great progress, really excited for the finished product. It was already a great truck but, its going to be even better when we are done!

Unfortunately, we've been delayed by a few other projects with strict deadlines for competition/ showing. The Corvette will be a Duntov winner and the 36 Ford, hopefully best in show. See picture.

Mr Cimarron has more pictures/ info, I'll let him share! :cheers:

2013-12-16_16-51-20_840.jpg

Here is the latest photo with front grill back together. Getting excited to see everything start to come together. A couple issues that have slowed things down is my split case is getting looked at for shifting issues. It probably needed a rebuild anyway. Also the stock radiator was "iffy" with its age so it was replaced.

image-3589642125.jpg

Should tell them its is going in a show and may win Best in Show, maybe they will get it done faster ;p

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom