Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ditto what he said! looking forward to an adapter to go from NV4500 to factory original equipment transfer case for an FJ80. I want the 6BT in my landcruiser- and, although the current adapter to A44X transmission is very tempting- I would prefer a standard transmission in my neck of the swamps/ woods...

Conversion is officially started at Jonsey's Offroad. I got the first photos sent over this morning as they are mocking up the engine/trans. The factory engine/trans/transfer case will be pulled and sold. Here is a video of it running if you or anyone in the Portland area is in need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTorX60XDtE

nice! Mr Cimarron, what year engine did you get? is it VE or P pumped? will joneys be installing an intercooler (as it seem like your engine came with one OEM).

nice! Mr Cimarron, what year engine did you get? is it VE or P pumped? will joneys be installing an intercooler (as it seem like your engine came with one OEM).
Inter cooler is still in the plans if it will fit. When I first decided on the 6bt I knew adding the inter cooler would be iffy but Jonseys thinks they can make it work.

how do yall think the trans and drivetrain will handle a P pumped intercooled 12 valve? from my research, that engine would have 10% more tq than the VE pumped non intercooled engine that is in the predator.

sorry for all the questions, planning my swap and am trying to learn as much as possible.

how do yall think the trans and drivetrain will handle a P pumped intercooled 12 valve? from my research, that engine would have 10% more tq than the VE pumped non intercooled engine that is in the predator.

sorry for all the questions, planning my swap and am trying to learn as much as possible.
I'm not a heavy foot driver so I think for me the axles will hold. The NV4500 manual trans was behind the 6bt from the factory so I'm not worried about that at all. I mainly chose the 6bt for better mileage and obviously more power. More power to me means maintaining speed on hills not 0-60.

Subscribed.

Depends on the year of the engine and what trans came behind it.

An NV4500 behind it, no sweat but he ought to be getting a southbend clutch while he's in there.

Axles... well they should hold up if he goes easy.

See Cody's build, he's mentioned he's toasted a few 9.5"s getting crazy with his.

Mine will be getting a 14 bolt and chevy 63s in the rear, and a KP chevy 60 up front on a 3 link.

Another thing I think Jonesy's needs to correct on all engines they see is the KDP. You're a damn fool if you don't while it's right there.

Also I'd be installing a pyrometer even with a stock pump if you don't end up installing an intercooler, it's a good thing to have regardless.

Last edited:
Another thing I think Jonesy's needs to correct on all engines they see is the KDP. You're a damn fool if you don't while it's right there.

Yep, KDP (killer dowel pin ) is not getting discussed enough with these engines. We're talking about a thirty minute fix with the engine out.

Pat

Depends on the year of the engine and what trans came behind it.

An NV4500 behind it, no sweat but he ought to be getting a southbend clutch while he's in there.

Axles... well they should hold up if he goes easy.

See Cody's build, he's mentioned he's toasted a few 9.5"s getting crazy with his.

Mine will be getting a 14 bolt and chevy 63s in the rear, and a KP chevy 60 up front on a 3 link.

Also I'd be installing a pyrometer even with a stock pump if you don't end up installing an intercooler, it's a good thing to have regardless.
EGT and boost gauges are getting installed. KDP has been discussed as well.

Awesome man! Not trying to attack your build in any way, just saying! :)

Looking forward to the outcome, as are you I'm sure.

I'm waiting for a few more paychecks before I buy an engine! :D

Inter cooler is still in the plans if it will fit. When I first decided on the 6bt I knew adding the inter cooler would be iffy but Jonseys thinks they can make it work.

An option for intercooling in a small grille is a water to air intercooler:

http://www.frozenboost.com/

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=216&products_id=1034&osCsid=d2a3931705b702b951d0e7be6ff68aab

It requires an extra water pump under the hood, but helps with the tight spaces because liquid to gas heat transfer rate is so much higher than gas to gas heat transfer.

Leni

Need to have a very large reserve of water with a WTA in a Diesel since they are always producing some form of boost. On a gas motor they work great because a lot of times the turbo is not producing heat. On a diesel engine the turbo is almost always pumping a good amount of boost and heat out so the WTA systems get heat soaked and can no longer efficiently cool the charge air.

There is a few threads on 4BT swaps about it and it changed me from going WTA to ATA on my diesel.

I have an A/W setup on my Cummins. Works great and all the parts were reasonable.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...s-jacket-water-after-cooler-jwac-upgrade.html

IMG_4404.JPG

IMG_4403.JPG

Cool beans.

I would just encourage anyone looking to intercool there diesel to do a bunch of research. I did and made my choice based on my intended use and geographical location with lots of steep mountain passes that can have you at peak boost for well over 20min at a time. My solution may not fit another, was just offering my input.

YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom