CROWN KING RUN: 14 Dec. 2013, Saturday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so, what did you buy for tires after all ?

lAnyone have experience with RUD chains? Alpine didn't carry my size.

Newbee questions for Crown King

There are several of us newbees that may need some guidance/assistance--for some of us this is a new experience. I know CSC is a great group and follow the mentality of "leave no man/woman behind" but I wanted to find out some quick info:

1. Will there be some help airing up/down of tires?

2. Does this trip require lockers?

3. How stocker friendly is the trip?

Please provide your opinions as soon as possible for some of us newbees'.

Thank you all in advance,

Zona

There are several of us newbees that may need some guidance/assistance--for some of us this is a new experience. I know CSC is a great group and follow the mentality of "leave no man/woman behind" but I wanted to find out some quick info:

Zona

There have been several "air down/up" demonstrations and training during the CSC club monthly meets. This is all good information but unfortunately nothing has been documented. There are club members that thought this would be good technical information to document via a video or a write up in perhaps PDF form that could be saved and printed at a later time if desired...

There are several members of the club that can assist with the air issue. Not sure of all that are going but there should be some experienced members along.

From what I remember and my last trip through there are no lockers "required" and as far as stocker friendly I did not see any obstacles that presented problems that were not able to be avoided.

This is all from memory of last vist but as always, trails change due to weather conditions.

You should be fine so enjoy :steer:

I will not be able to attend this run due to a TRAL commitment on that same day. This time of year there are several TRAL events and they are always on a Saturday. There is a lot of work to be done out there and time for wheeling can always be had after the event.

Have fun Zona!! I have not met you yet, only your note on my truck so maybe next time.

Zona

Weather conditions

CK@ 6000' receives an average of 2.5" of snow for the months Nov and Dec. The trail is about 500' higher then the town in the trees. With snow fall the possibility exist the trail will not be passable by any 4wd. Add ice this trail can be very dangerous in several spots. CK general store is a good resource prior to the trail date for current conditions.

If the trail is dry, 90% of the time the trail can be done with off road AT tires and no lockers. Add rain or snow and trail condition change fast.

Airing down and up has never been an issue with any CSC run...you will be in good hands.

I'm planning on being on this trip and can help with air down/up, spotting, leading, tail gunning, what ever is needed. The first third of the trail is paved dirt road and should be zero issues. Second third of the trail as you rise away from Lake Pleasant it is pretty tame, but there are multiple by passes that will give you all the trouble you'd like if you chose them. Last time we took some of the easier ones and by passed the bigger washouts. I'd say that play time on these should be gaged by the size of the group that attends. You get 10 or more vehicles and the optionals sections should be limited to the easier ones. IMHO.
The last third has a small rock garden and some brush at the beginning. Sliders are nice but not necessary if you rig is lifted sufficiently or if you have careful spotting. Expect some pinstriping in this section. There used to be a nasty little step around the Oro Belle area but had heard that was graded out. There's been a lot of summer storms since I heard that so it could have changed. It's nothing a quick tug on the strap could fix for any unlocked vehicles.

As Phil said, we just need to keep an eye on the weather, especially with a larger group.
Another helpful thing we can do, especially with newer or less experience wheelers, is to order the trucks so that you have a more experienced driver in front of the new driver with a similar wheelbased rig. That way they can watch the lines and learn more about their rig as they gain experience. You don't want a newbie with an 80 behind anyone in a 40.

Should be a great run, relax and enjoy the views. The fudge and a cold beer at the top won't be bad either :flipoff2:

-Norm

Work & domestic issues have kept me away for far too long.. I should be a go!! :steer:

So what is CSC's policy (I use the term lightly) if someone gets to a point and says, "No, I don't need that repair bill today." Is turning around acceptable behavior or are we committed for the duration? After all, I can wear humility pretty well, but a $2000 ding because "I just had to try that rock!" will be with me forever :crybaby:

I only ask because of photos like this (from a Desoto Mine run) - my FJ stock armor probably wouldn't survive this type of obstacle, and my exhaust would be forever embedded into the gravel as a testament to the attempt:

RjJENDkyMjc1NDYwRTY1MTgxNzA6YjUwMDYwYjRkYWRkOGI5YTQ3OGIyZjdkNDk0OTU0NmM=

Last edited:
It is not a contest, just a learning experience for those who are new. When we wheel, suggestions are always provided to the newbies. We also determine at the beginning of a run which route to take based on members in attendance experience and equipment.

If there is something you are not comfortable with doing, don't do it. If there is something that is questionable, ask for advice/opinion of the senior members who you are comfortable with.

Trust is earned and not given, period. You have to feel comfortable with who is giving advice and who is spotting. FWIW

CSC Members,

Thank you guys for responding to the questions about Crown King--great feedback!

This is exactly why I joined the club and I look forward to this run.

Gracias amigos!

Zona

You will not find any areas on this trail that are worthy of making you feel that way. Like others have said, this is a friendly trail and you will be able to relax and enjoy the trip. The picture you show of that white 80 was listed as much more difficult and was known to have major washouts and required lockers, lift, etc.

Others will be glad to give tips as you go but even if there is a tricky place, there are easy bypasses.

Crown King is a great first trail - and will continue to be a favorite even after you 4wheel for many years. :cheers:

the regular trail bypasses the optional obstacles, and what vegetation there is doesn't even come close enough for Arizona pinstripes

Hey - thanks everyone. I'm certainly not afraid of challenges; just wanted to get a feel for that thing called peer pressure should something unexpected come up along the trail.

As for that photo, it was an example of something I am not ready to do with my truck (primary transportation and all). Not even sure I'd do that when I have all the armor for my FJ since the exhaust hangs down and has a nice 90 degree muffler edge to catch on anything that happens by. I'd probably be out there stacking rocks.

Not even sure I'd do that when I have all the armor for my FJ since the exhaust hangs down and has a nice 90 degree muffler edge to catch on anything that happens by. I'd probably be out there stacking rocks.

With Phil's great spotting my 2012 FJC (Red TT at the meeting) did just fine over that obstacle, in fact better than several rigs. You just have to get out there to see what your truck can do and hone your skills. They are extremely capable rigs when properly equipped.

I will say this as the owner of two different new FJC's that had to go through the pin stripping ritual - It only hurts the first time. Having said that, if it's something that you're diametrically opposed to then it will really limit your trail selection. There is an opportunity on any trail, even Crown King, to get stripes, albeit very minor. Yes you can go through without any, but if you are passing rigs in a tight area, if you have to turn around or go wide in an area to avoid another obstacle then it could happen. Just want to make sure there is full disclosure. Those that haven't wheeled a truely new rig, brand new, off the lot, still making payments, daily driver, may not have the same view but I've been there and done that and understand any intrepidations that a new vehicle owner may have.

My $0.02
-Norm

I have my share of pinstripes - had more on my Escape and Explorer because I drove them around my Hawthorne brush filled property up north. Trees and scrub are amazing at reaching out to help you along, then add the fact my Toyota paint is as soft as it gets :~) Fortunately most polish out with a good hand waxing - the plastic bits though are a different story.

So Norm, what armor do you have under your TT?

Many a CSC'r busted their cherry on the Crown King trail. It is a great trip, that includes a restaurant at the top just for kicks. Just don't be too proud to ask for help and be prepared for a ribbing from all the usual suspects. Don't take the teasing seriously, everyone gets it sooner or later.

So what is CSC's policy (I use the term lightly) if someone gets to a point and says, "No, I don't need that repair bill today." Is turning around acceptable behavior or are we committed for the duration?...

FarSideLemmings.jpg

:lol: :lol:

It's a great group to go with. Thanks to excellent spotting, my daughter made it through Box Canyon with little drama when she had her learner's permit (I stayed in the passenger's seat with her)...

Hopefully I can make this one. If a run is as helpful as a meeting I will have no issue joining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom