Events/Trails ROTM January 6, 2024: Backway to Crown King (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we are going to use 146.520 and not the usual 146.46 for this run?
AFAIK
Itinerary:

8:30am: Meet up at 33.91650, -112.32814 for air down and drivers meeting. Show up ready to go. You should have your gas, snacks and drinks already handled.

9:00am: Begin the trail - I have generally looked at this as a 5 hour trip to Crown King via this trail from the Trailhead but others have said it takes longer.

2:00pm or so depending on trail conditions and traffic: Late lunch at the Saloon in Crown King

Getting back to Phoenix:
You make your way back to Phoenix via a very scenic and graded gravel road through Cleator and ultimately joining I-17 at the Bumble Bee exit. It takes me about 2 hours to get home in Old Town Scottsdale from Crown King via this route. The graded road is passenger car friendly.

If timing works out, some of us may continue on to Prescott via Senator Highway trail (2 or 3 rating pretty tame) after lunch. This takes about an additional 3 hours. Then return to Phoenix via I-17.

AFAIK
Itinerary:

8:30am: Meet up at 33.91650, -112.32814 for air down and drivers meeting. Show up ready to go. You should have your gas, snacks and drinks already handled.

9:00am: Begin the trail - I have generally looked at this as a 5 hour trip to Crown King via this trail from the Trailhead but others have said it takes longer.

2:00pm or so depending on trail conditions and traffic: Late lunch at the Saloon in Crown King

Getting back to Phoenix:
You make your way back to Phoenix via a very scenic and graded gravel road through Cleator and ultimately joining I-17 at the Bumble Bee exit. It takes me about 2 hours to get home in Old Town Scottsdale from Crown King via this route. The graded road is passenger car friendly.

If timing works out, some of us may continue on to Prescott via Senator Highway trail (2 or 3 rating pretty tame) after lunch. This takes about an additional 3 hours. Then return to Phoenix via I-17.
I just wanted to double cheek the radio freq. Most runs use 146.46, however this thread lists 146.520 as the freq used. This might be important for people who rely on software to program their codeplugs ahead of time. People with Baofeng radios and no VFO generally don't like to program their radios on the spot.

I'm going on senator highway. I might actually skip going into crown king and get an early start on senator highway.

I just wanted to double cheek the radio freq. Most runs use 146.46, however this thread lists 146.520 as the freq used. This might be important for people who rely on software to program their codeplugs ahead of time. People with Baofeng radios and no VFO generally don't like to program their radios on the spot.

146.460 has gotten pretty crowded, particularly on Saturdays, so I my alternate has become my primary which is 146.580. Thats the reason its different. truth be told, we've ended up having to use GMRS/FRS on most runs because thats what people have. I carry extras of both HAM and FRS/GMRS. It all comes down to who shows up and what they have with them.

Last edited:
In North Phoenix, 146.520mHz gets used a lot for rag-chewing (*despite being the national 2m Calling Frequency). It's usually a morning and afternoon drive time kinda deal, but if you get on there that one guy may be chatting his head off to no one in particular, and you'll be stepping on each other.

I usually keep the radio up and running, and have 146.520mHz in the priority scan, which is how I know. I'll plan to scan and monitor your trip for as far as I can.

A solid repeater in that area would be NY7S on 147.300mHz, + offset and PL=162.2Hz, which is monitored continuously if you run into trouble. Have a safe trip, guys!

In North Phoenix, 146.520mHz gets used a lot for rag-chewing (*despite being the national 2m Calling Frequency). It's usually a morning and afternoon drive time kinda deal, but if you get on there that one guy may be chatting his head off to no one in particular, and you'll be stepping on each other.

I usually keep the radio up and running, and have 146.520mHz in the priority scan, which is how I know. I'll plan to scan and monitor your trip for as far as I can.

A solid repeater in that area would be N7YS on 147.300mHz, + offset and PL=162.2Hz, which is monitored continuously if you run into trouble. Have a safe trip, guys!

There are plenty of simplex frequencies to choose from. I just checked my radios and my secondary isn't 146.520 (must have just had that on the brain due to it being the calling frequency), it is actually 146.580. The rag chewing on 146.460 on Saturday mornings the past few months has been really annoying. The frequency I should have posted was 146.580. I'll go back and change the posts that reference it.

Last edited:
Ping me if that's what you end up planning. I'll tag along.
Okay I've decided to skip crown king and get a head start on senator highway. Thanks for coming along with me, it's nice to have someone to pull you out of the mud

I think I (hopefully we) am/are in.

what are y'all driving? I'm gonna be in a black Mitsubishi SUV with a homemade front bumper

what are y'all driving? I'm gonna be in a black Mitsubishi SUV with a homemade front bumper

It's a Land Cruiser Club run so usually its mostly Land Cruisers, but the club is open to all Toyota 4x4s (think with a transfer case) so we sometimes have 4Runners or Mini Trucks or Taco's out with us as well. Normally the only time we have have non-Toyotas is when someone in the club says "hey can I bring my friend in their insert whatever and hopefully not a jeep" which everyone is pretty cool with. Not sure how you came across this site which is all Toyota or our club or this run, but I assumed you new somebody. That said, I'm not one to exclude people (except for unrepentant Jeepers) and the Montero is at least Japanese and I've always thought they were cool so you can be my guest on this one.

To answer your question, I'll hopefully be in my 1994 80 Series Land Cruiser (which is currently at Higgy's for a fuel pump, coil, ignitor and hopefully VAF) or else I'll be in my 2013 200 Series Land Cruiser. Build thread links for both in my signature.

It's a Land Cruiser Club run so usually its mostly Land Cruisers, but the club is open to all Toyota 4x4s (think with a transfer case) so we sometimes have 4Runners or Mini Trucks or Taco's out with us as well. Normally the only time we have have non-Toyotas is when someone in the club says "hey can I bring my friend in their insert whatever and hopefully not a jeep" which everyone is pretty cool with. Not sure how you came across this site which is all Toyota or our club or this run, but I assumed you new somebody. That said, I'm not one to exclude people (except for unrepentant Jeepers) and the Montero is at least Japanese and I've always thought they were cool so you can be my guest on this one.

To answer your question, I'll hopefully be in my 1994 80 Series Land Cruiser (which is currently at Higgy's for a fuel pump, coil, ignitor and hopefully VAF) or else I'll be in my 2013 200 Series Land Cruiser. Build thread links for both in my signature.
I came across this site because you do in fact have a Mitsubishi section (it's been dead for years though) and you have an active group of people in Arizona who go off-roading (and hopefully aren't like the drunk jeepers)

@Dumkid CopperStateCruisers welcomes everyone and anyone to any of our runs (Runs of the Month-ROTM). Our only restriction is - to be a member of CSC you have to own/drive a Toyota/Lexus vehicle with a transfer case for offroading.
Please feel free to come along anytime and welcome.

I came across this site because you do in fact have a Mitsubishi section (it's been dead for years though) and you have an active group of people in Arizona who go off-roading (and hopefully aren't like the drunk jeepers)
That's funny, I never noticed the "Other Manufacturers" Tech section of Mud. Guess I never needed to look, but still amazed that it had escaped me this whole time. Just a point of clarity, ih8mud.com is totally separate from Copper State Cruiser as a club. We just use it's club section for communication and organizing. Glad you found it. Lots of good people on here from all over the world that have been become friends offline as well.

@Dumkid CopperStateCruisers welcomes everyone and anyone to any of our runs (Runs of the Month-ROTM). Our only restriction is - to be a member of CSC you have to own/drive a Toyota/Lexus vehicle with a transfer case for offroading.
Please feel free to come along anytime and welcome.

Thanks for the clarity el Presidente! I wasn't sure what our rules were for official runs but I assumed it would lean towards the inclusive. Glad thats the case.

Don't forget to check the ADOT map for closures this weekend.
For example, the Loop 101 northbound is closed from Shea to Princess.

What he said ^^^. I-17 Southbound construction affecting Bumblebee Exit should be wrapped up by Saturday - perfect timing for this run - but expect there will still be signage out restricting the apron starting at Sunset Point (*just South of Bumblebee and 59's connection to I-17).
Screenshot_20240105-103924.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom