Events/Trails ROTM January 6, 2024: Backway to Crown King (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TheGrrrrr

GOLD Star
Threads
Overview:

Looking for a more challenging run? Haven't done Backway to Crown King in awhile? Well have I got good news for you! Many reports over the last year or so have suggested that the Backway to Crown King has gotten rougher due to erosion and damage from the SxS traffic. It seems many of the obstacle bypasses are still in place but the overall difficulty has stepped up a bit. Since its been close to 4 years since I've been up the trail, it seemed like a good time to knock it out. Lift, sliders and a rear locker are recommended.

Good video from a 2021 jeep run making it look harder than it is and not really showing the bypasses:

From OnX Offroad: Rated 6/10 for difficulty. Gorgeous run filled with multiple obstacles and most of them do have by-passes that takes you from the Lake Pleasant area to Crown King. This is a very popular run as it is a Jeep Badge of Honor. Do not attempt this in a stock vehicle as it is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE to get towed out.

Itinerary:

8:30am: Meet up at 33.91650, -112.32814 for air down and drivers meeting. Show up ready to go. You should have your gas, snacks and drinks already handled.

9:00am: Begin the trail - I have generally looked at this as a 5 hour trip to Crown King via this trail from the Trailhead but others have said it takes longer.

2:00pm or so depending on trail conditions and traffic: Late lunch at the Saloon in Crown King

Getting back to Phoenix:
You make your way back to Phoenix via a very scenic and graded gravel road through Cleator and ultimately joining I-17 at the Bumble Bee exit. It takes me about 2 hours to get home in Old Town Scottsdale from Crown King via this route. The graded road is passenger car friendly.

If timing works out, some of us may continue on to Prescott via Senator Highway trail (2 or 3 rating pretty tame) after lunch. This takes about an additional 3 hours. Then return to Phoenix via I-17.

Comms: HAM 146.580 or FRS/GMRS 15 if needed

Roster:

Last edited:
This is one of the most awesome trails in AZ, particularly if you take the Senator Highway all the way to Prescott at the end of the big climb. Or overnight at Bear Creek Cabins for some CK honkytonk in the evening.

That being said, I run this trail two times per year, and have done so for the past five/six years. The county (or whoever does this) has done much to maintain large portions of the trail, particularly everything that comes before the meadow by the creek. From that point on, it gets very choppy. I'm not shy about difficult trails, but advise caution on two particular bits. I'm lifted, locked, and on good big rubber; however, when I ran CK three months ago, I bent up my rear lower control arm...and something in the front end still makes some kind of clicking noise.

The two main trouble spots are the big rock ledge (34.17097587390287, -112.35127363242229) and the jagged bit just a couple of hundred yards beyond that (34.171036266980046, -112.35009081960065)

On the first of these two challenges, the left-hand bypass was not much of a bypass, and it was blocked by an abandoned truck. No idea if that's still there, but knowing this trail, it's probably been Swiss cheesed by small, fast projectiles and has become part of the terrain.

Below: me three-wheeling like a G on the first obstacle. (Yes, that WAS the good line. I had eight of my good friends trail-building after this) I'm pretty sure I bent the arm on the second of these two obstacles.

1700520240351.png

Damage:

1700520451186.png

Even on Google maps there are trucks 'working' in these locations.

1700518934045.png

1700518953346.png

Oh man, I would love to break something on my truck on this trail but I have a second Thanksgiving on Black Friday.

If nobody signs up for this one by this evening, I’ll cancel and go to the track day instead. Let’s say by 7pm local time.

I would go but I don't get off work until 2:00 AM Friday morning. Sorry

Yeah no worries at all. I’ve got a few good options for stuff tomorrow so I’m not going to be bummed out.

Too late to tag along? I could go with a buddy of mine. Both, LX470 & his GX470
You wouldn’t be tagging along, you’d be the whole group. I was going to just cancel and go racing instead. I’ll reschedule for next month or January. You are welcome to do it though.

Im a 50/50 shot last minute write in. Ill know the Friday before

Does the Club have any hard and fast rules about not dying on the trail? Asking for a,... friend...?
Screenshot_20231124-172525.jpg

I'm a definitely maybe. The road is a challenge through the rock garden and there is no bypass.
marking it on my calendar

Very very interested!

Does the Club have any hard and fast rules about not dying on the trail? Asking for a,... friend...?
View attachment 3490506
Note: this photo was not taken on a CSC club run. Also, I've consistently missed all club runs (bad member).

My personal pragmatic and reasonable philosophy: we all make it out together, or we all heroically die together. (contradictorally, I write these words under an image of a plump body bag mounted to my roof rack; alas, the exception confirms the rule)

Will my 33's make it? Just installed a 2.5 inch IRONMAN lift with diff drop.

Last time I did it yes, its just a matter of being careful not to do damage to your rockers if you don't have sliders. I personally would want sliders for this trail out of an abundance of caution. Also because I don't know how much worse its gotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom