Cross country trip advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning a road trip from West Virginia to Washington state in my 89 fj62. 213,000 miles on it and runs excellent. Just looking for advice on preparing etc for the trip. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

image.jpg

Take lots of tools and a sleeping bag, i did a lot of wrenching between CA and VA in an 84 FJ60.

In the FJ40s Mud section, there are lots of posts with good advice. Anything that is weak (exh manifold gaskets, fuel pumps, etc.) will get tested to the max on trips like this. The pinion seal that never leaked - will. I would worry most about the belt drive (are all your idler pulleys quiet and are the belts fairly new?) and the cooling system (hoses, t-stat, radiator, cap).

Bring extra antifreeze and oil. If you don't regularly drive your truck on the highway, it may burn more oil than you were expecting. Of course, basic tools (Vise-grip pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, metric sockets), a VOM, some wire, wire connectors, etc. are always worth bringing.

In theory if its well maintained you might just change the oil and filter and just keep putting gas in it when the tank gets low. You might consider changing the diff oil if it hasnt been done in a while and do the oil/filter change. Depending on how old your air and fuel filters are as well as plugs, cap, rotor, and wires etc...might change those. Bring some tools and some spare coolant hose, a roll of gorilla tape and some JB weld. Make sure your spare tire is good, the mechanism that holds it still works, and your jacket and lug wrench are in the truck. Grease all your fittings and joints. bring some spare belts, headlight bulbs or inserts etc.

Also assess your own mechanical skills....invest in a AAA membership....fixing a flat is in most peoples wheel house, fixing small things like belts or small coolant leaks can be done on the side of the road and potentially save you from an expensive tow. Mechanical failure of a larger component is likely not doable on roadside.

Just drive. keeping an eye on fluids when you fill up is a good idea.

If it's a daily driver you pretty much know it all ready and if it's reliable. You cannot plan for everything and it takes the fun out of trip. No one can bring enough spares, or tools.

AAA membership, a cell phone and go. I trust my 60 to go anywhere.

Various coolant hose sizes
Fluids (Diff/T-case/Coolant/Oil)
Tools
Jack
Belts
Wire/duct tape

I drove my sorted FJ60 from VA to CO. I brought spares, tools and a ton of things.
Had 1 issue, a broken wire for my oil pressure. My Mechanical gauge worked. I fixed the wire and kept going.
I drove a 1968 Cadillac Sedan Deville from Vancouver to Florida once when I first moved to the US. I brought a leatherman as my only tool. I arrived at my destination in Florida and blew the top rad hose, cut it and refitted it and drove it for another 3 years like that.
I made sure both were road ready (seems the Caddy was only 99% ready) and prepped for a long trip. This goes a long way to no issues.

The number one thing I can recommend is to NOT take the interstate when ever you can.

Bring an extra bottle jack a small shovel and make sure your spare is the same size.;)

Add in any fuses you may need, flashlight, blanket, radiator fluid, water. Keep it simple. If you're considering this drive then it's safe to say your confident in the vehicle and it's running well. I second the comment above, avoid interstate travel and you will find the drive much more relaxed, easier on the vehicle too. The pressure to try to drive at modern day interstate speed will be mostly relieved and views will be much better.

Cooler full of beer!

Just drive. keeping an eye on fluids when you fill up is a good idea.

If it's a daily driver you pretty much know it all ready and if it's reliable. You cannot plan for everything and it takes the fun out of trip. No one can bring enough spares, or tools.

AAA membership, a cell phone and go. I trust my 60 to go anywhere.

Exactly this. You should know if its reliable or not. If there is something specific you are worried about that you know needs addressing, then get it addressed. If not, then your truck is ready to go. Loading up with a bunch of tools and spares just takes the fun out of a long trip IMHO. Just check temps, leaks, levels periodically as you go. As others have said make sure your spare is good and aired properly, is accessible, and your factory jack works and is accessible.

I just drove mine from Texas to Colorado. Was the first long trip I did in it since getting it two years ago. Did a ton of work to it before the trip. Took some green stripe coolant hose, some coolant, some oil, fuel filter, fuel line, and a cheap tool kit. All that stuff just got in the way and cluttered the rear cargo area. I find I never end up using it so its just clutter. Would be great to have with you if you need it. I just always find I never need it. The more miles I drove, the less worried I became. Truck did great. I have taken this trip many many times, and this last one was one of the more enjoyable. Every mile was a small victory and a slap in the face to those who told me I was crazy for driving a 30+ year old truck cross country. Worry more since its old or worry less BECAUSE its old. They just don't make them like this anymore. Worry less and enjoy the trip. HTH.

Change the fluids before you go, check the fluids when you stop, and drive it as much as possible between now and your departure date to find other issues

Hammer down.

Drinking water for you. Handi wipes that cut grease off your hands or Mechanic gloves.

The wife appreciates a clean hands and no smudges on your face after roadside repairs. It also prevents spreading grease and grime in your interior.

Bring fire extinguisher, cardboard or blanket for lying on the ground underneath it, gloves, glasses, plus a tool kit. You can streamline the tools, worth it to bring them imo. Ronny Dahl has a good YouTube video on what tools to bring. Secure those heavy loose items, I've heard of people being killed by flying extinguishers in an accident.

One important resource is the Cruiser Brotherhood that is present almost every day right here on this site. You can post a RTH (real time help) thread with a current location to the 60 section or in chat. Any one of us has or will help a Brother in need. We call that Cruiser karma.
Safe travels man, keep your eye on oil pressure, temp and fuel gauges. Check tires and fluids when you stop and expect people to approach you about your traveling Cruiser. It's good for the soul to get some windshield time behind such an iconic vehicle. Enjoy the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom