Crank but No Start (Solved) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW: Cover/cap/tape off the water pipe nipple coming off oil cooler, to keep dirt out.

You stated: "When I reinstalled the sensor, I used a torque wrench set at 65 flbs on the longer bolt (see below photo) and snapped it. I soon discovered my tongue wrench was bad"

I'll assume that 65 flbs wasn't a typo, since you busted the bolt (stud). The proper torque is 66 IN-lbf (INCH) which is about 5ft-lbf. (foot). I use a 1/4" drive torque wrench for these very lite INCH torques.

While in there:

Check bearing of fan bracket. First by spinning. Any sound, it's no good, any rough or binding feel, it's no good. Then try to move shaft up and down. Any lateral movement whatsoever it's no good.

Check tensions of drive belt tensioner. I do this by feel, putting my 1/2" dr ratchet wrench w/socket on the 14mm pulley bolt. Then pull on wrench turning counter clock wise (CCW), as we do to take tension off drive belt. Since it's a left hand thread. You should feel a good amount of spring back pressure as you pull on wrench, turning CCW up to about 30 degrees. The pressure increases as you pull CCW. I've been using a spring scale on the end of my ratchet wrench to get reads of tension as I pull, at each of the 4 points on indicator of tensioner. New tensioner I get about 6.5lb @1st point, 9lb @ 2nd, 10.6lb @ 3rd and 12.6lb @4th. I give you those reading, just so you've an idea of how much feel. You don't need to use a spring (fish) scale, Just the feel is good enough. Since my angle of pull and distance out on wrench handle, is going to be different than yours. You readings would be different anyway.

Next check tension and idler pulley bearings. A pulley spun by hand that keeps free spinning is likely no good. New pulley bearing will hardly make 1 revolution before it stops spinning. They should be silent, any sound they're no good.

For the tensioner pulley bearing, if tensioner good. I just replace the bearing. If idler bearing bad, I replace the pulley (OEM best) which comes with bearing.

The tensioner of drive (AKA fan or serpentine) belt and fan bracket. I do with timing belt jobs, if needed. As it just then a parts cost. As labor is in the T-belt service. But if either bad, they should be replace at this time.

Tension pulley w/bearing can be purchased but best cost wise, is to buy the whole tension. I just pressing in new bearing, if tensioner good.

I no longer use old bearing to press in new. I use a socket that make contact with only outer race of bearing. Where you can use old bearing. The inner race will take some of the pressure, which we don't want excess pressure here. As it could reduce service life of bearing.

Last edited:
Update.

@2001LC, thank you for the videos/advice and it definitely wasn’t a typo 🤦‍♂️. I didn’t know about IN-lbf and assumed everything was measured in foot pounds but mistakes can be the greatest teachers 😂. I purchased a 1/4 torque wrench from Amazon for around $50. I checked all of the pulleys and everything appeared to be in working order.

Last night, I got the bolts for the camshaft sensor and three (3) hoses to complete the heater T’s replacement. Installing the sensor and timing belt cover went smooth. Installing the heater T and related hoses was more of a pain. The hose clamps that came with the heater T kit were too small for the larger hoses at the top of the T so I had to use the old ones. I reinstalled the fan shroud and hand tightened the fluid coupler to the pulley. Today, I’ll be purchasing crowfoot wrench set to torque the bolts on the fluid coupler and finish up the install.

One thing I did notice last night was the wiring harness from the oil sending unit and crankshaft sensor transitioned from a black plastic wiring loom to black tape as it routed behind the water pump (see yellow circle in photo). Is this factory or could this be a fix by the PO? I didn’t want to pull the tape off and ruin the seal.

1655561128979.jpeg

Update.

@2001LC, thank you for the videos/advice and it definitely wasn’t a typo 🤦‍♂️. I didn’t know about IN-lbf and assumed everything was measured in foot pounds but mistakes can be the greatest teachers 😂. I purchased a 1/4 torque wrench from Amazon for around $50. I checked all of the pulleys and everything appeared to be in working order.

Last night, I got the bolts for the camshaft sensor and three (3) hoses to complete the heater T’s replacement. Installing the sensor and timing belt cover went smooth. Installing the heater T and related hoses was more of a pain. The hose clamps that came with the heater T kit were too small for the larger hoses at the top of the T so I had to use the old ones. I reinstalled the fan shroud and hand tightened the fluid coupler to the pulley. Today, I’ll be purchasing crowfoot wrench set to torque the bolts on the fluid coupler and finish up the install.

One thing I did notice last night was the wiring harness from the oil sending unit and crankshaft sensor transitioned from a black plastic wiring loom to black tape as it routed behind the water pump (see yellow circle in photo). Is this factory or could this be a fix by the PO? I didn’t want to pull the tape off and ruin the seal.

View attachment 3037243
So crank sensor & oil sending unit wire is wrapped from factory, and goes behind the "fan bracket". Many call fan bracket a water pump, it is NOT! Provided housing/tape wire does not rub on drive belt, by keeping tucked in. I wait until day fan brackets is out, to properly route wires. I do hope you inspected that fan bracket closely while you were in there. I replace a lot of them.

Heater Tee hose clamps, use smaller clamp on the 2 lower (rear heater) hoses. I reuse all factory clamps and hoses 90% of the time. Except the first short 90 degree hose. That one I always replace. Being very very careful to not put excessive pressure on pipe it attach to (pipe coming up from rear water bypass joint).

Last edited:
@2001LC , thank you for the quick response and clearing up the wire wrap confusion. I also had a feeling after I typed “water pump” and submitted the post, I had it wrong 😂. I’ll definitely triple check the fan bracket when I get home tonight and take a video. Is there a diagram or photo that shows the proper routing of the wires? If not, I can try to post a video of how mine is routed and maybe someone can critique it?

@2001LC , Thank you for the photos for the correct placement of the wiring harness. I noticed on my timing belt cover, the tabs that hold the wiring loom are broken off. Other then that, the wiring harness follows the same path. Do you know if I can purchase the tabs separately or do I have to buy a new timing belt cover?

I triple checked the fan bracket by spinning it. It didn’t bind up or make any noises. There was also no lateral movement in the shaft when I pulled it up and down. Side note, it completely slipped my mind to take a video.

I put everything back together and Gracie started back up. On a good note, after replacing the Heater T’s, thermostat, and coolant, the heat for the front of cabin started working again. The blown air feels like it’s from the 7th level of hell and just in time for the summer 😂 Now, I have to replace an AC line that runs along the rear of the front passenger tire to the rear of the vehicle to get the AC going again. But one thing at a time

Tomorrow and for the next few days, it is supposed to be at least 95 degrees during the day and this is typically when Gracie experiences the crank, no start. So we will be putting her through her paces to see if she makes it through. I’ll keep you guys updated.

@2001LC Again, thank you for your help. It’s been greatly appreciated and it’s motivated me to keep tinkering on this old gal.

Update

The following day, the temperature reached 95 degrees and Gracie started every time during the day time hours. It wasn’t till night time when the temperature reached roughly 75 degrees did she experience the crank, no start. When it happened, I jiggled the wiring harness and battery cables to ensure everything was securely connected. My wife then turned the key and towards the end of the long crank, Gracie sounded like she was going to start. My wife turned the key again and halfway through the long crank, Gracie started. Just to double check, she turned Gracie off, waited a few seconds, and turned the key again. Gracie started right up like normal.

Today, I’m digging back into Gracie. I’ll be fishing the wiring harness up from the Oil pressure and the crankshaft position sensors to the top so I can take a much closer look at the wires.

You'll get this dialed in, I love the dedication!

Thanks, @Slickspawn .

Getting back inside and removing the intake, serpentine belt, the fan, and shroud went pretty smooth and easy. While looking at the wiring harness, I’ve noticed there are two rips/tears on the oil pressure sending unit wire (see photo) so I definitely need to replace that section. Does anyone know if there is a way to pull the wires up from behind the fan bracket or do I need to take it off?

E52DD905-9D1C-4966-8A2E-1766276F689C.jpeg

So you're asking is the can rout back in the proper path. It can be done, but difficult. You'll push one of the 2 wire housing block down the path behind fan bracket at a time. They will fit but very difficult to work in the area. Using forceps straight and curved may help. Removing wire housing block, by releasing pigtails will really help a lot.

But you can just tuck & tie them back in front of fan bracket. Then wait until day you doing a fan bracket replacement or timing belt job.

@2001LC Any idea on how to identify the gauge of the wire for the crankshaft position sensor and the oil pressure sending unit wires? I’ve also thrown the idea around about replacing the plugs. If I order the below-listed plugs, will they also come with wires to splice into the existing wires

I looked at the LC Factory Manual in the FAQ and found the below part numbers. When I put the part numbers into Toyota parts, it says they do not fit a 2006 LC or any LC for that matter. Anyone able to double check my part number before I order?

Toyota Part Number 90980-11162 (Crankshaft Position Sensor Plug)
Toyota Part Number ??????????? (Oil Pressure Sending Unit Plug)

Edit: at the back of the oil pressure sending unit plug, there is a number “11363”

Last edited:

Check out this video re:fuse box issue. Next time its won't start open the fuse box and see if anything is hot.

@Phallen add 90980 in front of the plug digits to get the full plug part number

@2001LC Any idea on how to identify the gauge of the wire for the crankshaft position sensor and the oil pressure sending unit wires? I’ve also thrown the idea around about replacing the plugs. If I order the below-listed plugs, will they also come with wires to splice into the existing wires

I looked at the LC Factory Manual in the FAQ and found the below part numbers. When I put the part numbers into Toyota parts, it says they do not fit a 2006 LC or any LC for that matter. Anyone able to double check my part number before I order?

Toyota Part Number 90980-11162 (Crankshaft Position Sensor Plug)
Toyota Part Number ??????????? (Oil Pressure Sending Unit Plug)

Edit: at the back of the oil pressure sending unit plug, there is a number “11363”
Use a wire gauge.

Wire housing blocks do not come with pigtail (wire and pin). My Toyota parts guys picks pigtails for me, depending on which wire housing block. But most times I do not need the pigtail. Just last week on a 2007 I replaced 8 wire housing blocks, without any pigtails. What nice when replacing housing blocks. I can just carefully break away plastic of wire housing blocks. Careful not to damage pigtails. Pigtail can be released and pulled out. But busting plastic away is easier, if plastic brittle.

Most time old wire can be carefully clipped to clean, sheathing strips and butt solider. Only losing 3 or 4 mm. Which most wire will still be long enough afterwards.

Last edited:
Update

I ordered the Crankshaft Position Sensor plug, oil pressure sending unit plug, and related pigtails (wire & pin) from a local Toyota dealership. They should be here by tomorrow. As long as weather permits, I should have them installed by the night. I’ll update with the results

Update

I picked up the plugs and pigtails (wire & pin) this morning. Once I got home, I cut the two wires from the Crankshaft Position Sensor plug and one wire from the Oil Pressure Sending Unit plug, which allowed me to pull the wires to the top of the engine. Side note.. for whatever reason, I was unable to pull the wires up to the top with the plugs attached. Once at the top, I was able to remove all of the electrical tape and wiring loom. I noticed there was actually three wires coming from the engine side of the harness with three butt splice connectors (unsure if that is the correct terminology) in between the engine and the sensor. This does not look like it is from the factory. There was a green wire and blue wire, which were initially connected to the plug but then there was an exposed wire (no sheath) that was wrapped around the green and blue wires with electrical tape, which looked very odd (see photo 1 and 2).

I measured the blue and green wires and found that they were 16 gauge. The pigtails for the new plugs measure are a little larger (see photos 4 for a size comparison). Even though Toyota recommended the wire & plug combo, does anyone think this will be an issue if I replace the 16 gauge line with the thicker wire Toyota gave me? And any idea where the third wire with no sheathing from the wiring harness of the Crankshaft Position sensor goes to or is it just a protective shell?

My “crank, no start” issue is pointing more towards the wiring repair done by the PO,

Edit. I picked up a heat gun and solder seal wire connectors to splice the wires together.

Edit. The wire from the pigtail that I picked up from Toyota is a 12 gauge wire.

6635B964-8692-450B-8A88-5507FC2611E2.jpeg

25ADF93B-8721-4EF0-86A0-98D496A94C0C.jpeg

03E8358F-44D2-4B4F-AB24-A6750C51E021.jpeg

C6132155-3738-4ABB-AD11-FE3CEEE3FF54.jpeg

Last edited:
This morning I finished the wiring and put everything back together. I drove it for an hour and everything appeared to be in working order. Time will tell on a hot day if the wiring fixed the issue. I’ll keep it updated

Great! I think you found it. High resistance potentially in the shoddy wiring repair probably done due to wiring routing fix before or after damage was done who knows.

@Phallen Did you drive with the P0335 code still illuminated on the dash via check engine light? I am here in DFW and we have had and will continue to have 105 degree days. I am sourcing a new sensor all together. I am wondering if it is still drivable because my LC is not just my project vehicle... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom