Crank bolt tightness: RTH check me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pretty damn comfortable around tools, but admittedly, this is my first foray into the world of 3/4 drive. Just tightened the crank bolt on the 1FZ to 300+ lbfts. I used the big monster Harbor Freight torque wrench, using a 6pt 30mm socket. Getting the bolt to break free (breaker bar against the frame X20) took hurculean effort. But I was a bit supprized at how easily I reached (per the click) 300#+ going back on. Granted, this is a 30" lever and I did have great angle of attack, but I expected more grunt. Is it just that I'm not used to tools this big (insert jokes here), or that I distrust Harbor Freight calibration?

IMG_0406.JPG

I too was surprised how easy it it torqued to 300 ft/lb. I used a Harbor Freight torque wrench and was able to check it with a calibrated wrench. There was no difference.

That's it. I'm switching my entire tool box over to 3/4 drive. I'm getting old. I like easy.

Now go and take your standard socket wrench and see how easy it is to remove lol.

There isn't a whole lot of stretch heppening so it buttons up real quick.

Yes, same experience here as well. Getting the bolt loose took me several tries. Torquing to 305 ft-lbs wasn't too bad. I assume the extra torque was from corrosion after being seated into the crank for 20 +/- years.

I worked in the heavy equipment industry for many years. The rule of thumb was an average mechanic could do 125#/foot, so you are right in the ball park with a 30" wrench.

I worked in the heavy equipment industry for many years. The rule of thumb was an average mechanic could do 125#/foot, so you are right in the ball park with a 30" wrench.

I think you just called me average? :(

If it was easy for you, you are above average. I just checked the torque on my 1HZ, 362#-ft, and I had to use a cheater on my MAC 3/4" torque wrench. Of course I'm getting up there in age.

Did same with HF wrench. Checked it with calibrated snap on. No difference. All good. 500 miles in.

I slipped a 4' Schedule 80 Pipe over the 3/4 Hobo Freight Breaker Bar and Hung on the handle.
Nothing broke, so it's good in my book.

I slipped a 4' Schedule 80 Pipe over the 3/4 Hobo Freight Breaker Bar and Hung on the handle.
Nothing broke, so it's good in my book.

I believe that procedure is technically called "gorilla tight"....... :)

I'm curious as to how are some of you fellas stopping the engine from rotating while doing this bidness?

I believe that procedure is technically called "gorilla tight"....... :)

I'm curious as to how are some of you fellas stopping the engine from rotating while doing this bidness?
14mm 1/2 drive deep socket on a torque converter bolt, through the bell housing inspection port from underneath the engine. Piece of cake. Took me less than a minute. One man job.
img_1214lowres-jpg.34780

I did as Midfat did,
with the same hobo freight wrench mentioned earlier.

Gorilla Tight can also be called Farmer Tight.

I did as Midfat did,

Wow!

If I did that, It'd be about 1550 Lb-Ft. You guys need to eat more and maybe work out...........

I did as Midfat did,

Or the German Spec "Gutentight".

I did the same Farmer right method the second time around. First go around ( years ago ) I rented a torque wrench.

Or Redneck Tight......Tighten till it snaps off, then back off 1/4 Turn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom