craigslist cruiser crap (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes I was!
Now I’ve got to buy your Valentine present!
:flipoff2:

5c5b87c66e316_toyota_4runner_15488339245d565ef66e7dffCarreraG4Runner2D003-940x544.jpg

I had no idea they made 2 door 2nd gen 4Runners.

The 2-door models had a higher tariff than the 4-door models. That's what limited their numbers. I really liked the 2-door version.

I guess they were trying to "protect" the GMC Jimmy market of the same era.

I wonder if the 2 door 4runners came in manual? Same wheelbase as 4 doors?

Funny, cuz I saw plenty two door Path Finders from that era.

Actually, the 2-door Pathfinder was '89 and earlier - same as the first gen 4Runner. In 1990, they went to the 4-door Pathfinder too.
92809141990202.jpg

From the internet:
Japanese manufacturers initially found they could export "chassis cab" configurations (which included the entire light truck, less the cargo box or truck bed) with only a 4% tariff. A truck bed would subsequently be attached to the chassis in the United States and the vehicle could be sold as a light truck. The U.S. Customs Service changed vehicle classifications in 1989, automatically relegating two-door SUVs to light-truck status. Toyota Motor Corp., Nissan Motor Co., Suzuki (through a joint venture with GM), and Honda Motor Co. eventually built assembly plants in the U.S. and Canada in response to the tariff.

So, up to 1989 the 4Runner, Pathfinder, and such were not subject to the tariff - hence the 2-door models. After that, they went to 4-door models rather than pay the tariff of a 2-door model.

Last edited:
I wonder if the 2 door 4runners came in manual? Same wheelbase as 4 doors?

Both the 2-door and 4-door 4Runners were still based on the pickup and were virtually identical to the pickup from the B-pillars forward, so had the same 22R-E and 3VZ engine options and 4-speed A340H automatic and 5-speed manual transmission options. I had a friend back then with a manual 2-door that I remember fondly - both friend and 4Runner.

Actually, the 2-door Pathfinder was '89 and earlier - same as the first gen 4Runner. In 1990, they went to the 4-door Pathfinder too.
92809141990202.jpg

From the internet:

So, up to 1989 the 4Runner, Pathfinder, and such were not subject to the tariff - hence the 2-door models. After that, they went to 4-door models rather than pay the tariff of a 2-door model.
Everyday is a school day!🍺:doh:

Facebook

I'm interested in what that car is next to the 40.

It looks like a Chevy avalanche to me...

Edit...it occurred to me everyone may not have viewed the ad like I did.

Interesting listing title, I guess because it has a Chevy engine and the Avalanche has an open back? As for what's next to it, I was thinking maybe Pantera but I don't think that's it. A manufacturer that starts with a P came to mind but I can't think of the name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom