Cost of power steering for 1982 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just joined the forum. A little background. In 1978, we bought a beautiful FJ40 which we kept for 20 years. Selling it was one of the dumbest things I ever did. It would be one of those $35K Cruisers today. Long story short. Wife got the itch to buy a Cruiser for her 65th birthday. I'm more than will to scratch her itch.

I found a really solid 1982 FJ40 at a reasonable price. It has less rust than mine did in 1998. But at 67 years old and after two shoulder overhauls power steering is mandatory. Don't think this is something I want to tackle myself. Would appreciate some guesstimates on cost to add on and sourcing for parts.

Are you planning on going OEM or aftermarket? I also picked up a 1982 without power steering and have been sourcing OEM parts. It is not easy to find, at this point I have everything but the power steering cooler (about 6 months of constant looking). Saginaw's aftermarket power steering kits are available but it also might effect the value of the FJ40 since the 1982 is rare.

Just joined the forum. A little background. In 1978, we bought a beautiful FJ40 which we kept for 20 years. Selling it was one of the dumbest things I ever did. It would be one of those $35K Cruisers today. Long story short. Wife got the itch to buy a Cruiser for her 65th birthday. I'm more than will to scratch her itch.

I found a really solid 1982 FJ40 at a reasonable price. It has less rust than mine did in 1998. But at 67 years old and after two shoulder overhauls power steering is mandatory. Don't think this is something I want to tackle myself. Would appreciate some guesstimates on cost to add on and sourcing for parts.

You can install electric power steering. As mentioned above, '82 is rare and sought after. You won't hack up the truck with electric power steering, because you're just replacing the upper column with one powered by an electric motor.

Looks like electric is it is. Don't want to hack this '82 up. How hard/long does it take to install?

Looks like electric is it is. Don't want to hack this '82 up. How hard/long does it take to install?

Guess I should have scanned down the page on the link. Doesn't look like it is too much brain damage at all.

if you want factory P/S there is really nothing that needs to be hacked up(shaft is cut a wee bit where it goes into box) its pretty much bolt on. I added OEM PS to my 82 when I got in 15 years ago, parts were no easier to find then, then now. I happen to find a write up(in print form) by our own Jim C. that showed how to do it.

I had one shoulders done 6-ish years ago, my other is not far away, but of all my Cruisers(even the 100 series) my 82 Fj40 is the easiest to drive with a bum shoulder, the wheel(and shiftier) is just in the right spot. Still have two 45's with manual and I know it after a day of driving(and shifting 3 on the tree)

there are a few options, you will spend about $800-1500 on parts(plus $ for labor) My guess on labor, depending on who and where, $500-700.

In my case I started with an new empty PS housing for a fj40(can still be had), then used solid axle mini truck box for parts for the internal guts of the new box(guts are the same as fj40), OEM PS seal kit(again, same as mini truck) Sent that to Redhead Gear in Seattle to be put together. The new box bolts right in-place of the manual box. The PS pump and bracket(fJ60, same as 40) will bolt up to your 82 2f, new steering rag joint (or whatever its called, not required but I did) Manual steering shaft is cut just a tiny bit. That's really about it. You can get the high pressure hose from NAPA(for $40-ish)

As much as I am a OEM nut, the PS cooler tube is not needed, I used a small trany(or maybe a PS cooler) cooler instead. After I did all this to my 82, I ended up finding 2 factory PS boxes locally, one had the cooler tube......never had the desire to put the tube in, but also not getting rid of it ;)

GM PS would not be something I would do on a 82 myself. But you could do the standard mini truck PS, its the same as above but uses a mount to get the same position as the factory PS box, you can save problem $400 by going that way. (remember fj40 PS is the same as a solid axle mini truck PS)

Or electric, which sounds good, but I have never driven that set up myself to comment

Does anybody here have the electric set up?

can't remember his name, but here are some pics of his ride.

DSCF0245.JPG

DSCF0246.JPG

DSCF0247.JPG

DSCF0248.JPG

DSCF0251.JPG

Thanks for your help with my power steering question. Turns out that Classic Cruisers in Salida is just 30 minutes down the road. Talked with Brandon and he said he had done maybe a thousand power steering conversions and his is cheaper than the electric.

The wife pulled the trigger last night on her new FJ40 birthday present. We'll pick it up in about three weeks after we work out the finances. Owner is an engineer who bought it to finish restoration but just didn't get around to it. Drives it several days a week to work. Looks like a real garage queen. If the mechanicals are as good as the cosmetics, I think she really scored a keeper at a good price.

Here are the highlights: 106K miles, repainted in 2000, purchased by 2nd and current owner in 2006, driven 15K since, needs brake power booster, tires aged out, needs power steering for geezers, needs locking hubs, jump seats need recovering, and AC work.

We'll lift it a couple of inches and add bigger tires for wheeling in the Buena Vista area. I told the wife to remember, if she breaks it she fixes it!

Got a bunch of pictures. Can someone point me to a tutorial on posting pictures. I'm not getting anywhere. Also what is the best place to put them?

Thanks for your help with my power steering question. Turns out that Classic Cruisers in Salida is just 30 minutes down the road. Talked with Brandon and he said he had done maybe a thousand power steering conversions and his is cheaper than the electric.

The wife pulled the trigger last night on her new FJ40 birthday present. We'll pick it up in about three weeks after we work out the finances. Owner is an engineer who bought it to finish restoration but just didn't get around to it. Drives it several days a week to work. Looks like a real garage queen. If the mechanicals are as good as the cosmetics, I think she really scored a keeper at a good price.

Here are the highlights: 106K miles, repainted in 2000, purchased by 2nd and current owner in 2006, driven 15K since, needs brake power booster, tires aged out, needs power steering for geezers, needs locking hubs, jump seats need recovering, and AC work.

We'll lift it a couple of inches and add bigger tires for wheeling in the Buena Vista area. I told the wife to remember, if she breaks it she fixes it!

Got a bunch of pictures. Can someone point me to a tutorial on posting pictures. I'm not getting anywhere. Also what is the best place to put them?

Out of curiosity, what are Brandon's plans for the steering conversion? Keep in mind certain solutions will hurt the value of your '82.

Out of curiosity, what are Brandon's plans for the steering conversion? Keep in mind certain solutions will hurt the value of your '82.

He uses a Toyota pump and box from another older model. I think he said something about a truck. He said there would be no hacking the frame and would be reversible.

He uses a Toyota pump and box from another older model. I think he said something about a truck. He said there would be no hacking the frame and would be reversible.

Sounds like a winner. Another option (although not the least expensive) would be to use his steering box and source an oem fj40 steering gearbox housing. All of the minitruck parts will go into the 40 box and it will drop onto the existing pedestal without any rivet cutting.

Sounds like a winner. Another option (although not the least expensive) would be to use his steering box and source an oem fj40 steering gearbox housing. All of the minitruck parts will go into the 40 box and it will drop onto the existing pedestal without any rivet cutting.

Wife is sitting here with me and that idea does appeal to her. We'll run it by Brandon.

Thanks, got the part number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom