Cost of power steering for 1982 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that is a mini truck conversion, it will feel the same as OEM but it uses a bracket to mount the mini truck box at the correct angle.

to add value, I would use the new fj40 PS box casting(empty PS box) fill with mini truck guts= OEM fj40 PS. the casting is not cheap...
70044131.jpg

70044127.jpg

BTW, this is what the factory PS cooler tube looks like, pretty much the same as a fj60, which may be an option of someone really wants the cooler tube...
70811430.jpg

He uses a Toyota pump and box from another older model. I think he said something about a truck. He said there would be no hacking the frame and would be reversible.

get out your reading glasses because I scanned this 15 year ago.....and the print keeps getting smaller ;)

I can't read it with my glasses!

I stack my readers on top of each other sometimes......

but I bet it can be zoomed in on on the computer thing....

I can't read it with my glasses!

the 60 cooler tube is similar but it is longer as the frame rails are wider.

I assumed that, but it would probably not take much to modify it to work on a 40.

My 60 cooler tube spung a leak(only rust on a rust free 60) over 10 years ago, under the radiator of course, I cut out the bad part and replaced with some hose. After that....I couldn't see using the oem cooler in the 40, but darn if I'll let it go ;) (maybe if/when I replace the radiator on the 40, I'd consider it again)

the 60 cooler tube is similar but it is longer as the frame rails are wider.

I assumed that, but it would probably not take much to modify it to work on a 40.

My 60 cooler tube spung a leak(only rust on a rust free 60) over 10 years ago, under the radiator of course, I cut out the bad part and replaced with some hose. After that....I couldn't see using the oem cooler in the 40, but darn if I'll let it go ;) (maybe if/when I replace the radiator on the 40, I'd consider it again)
I may try and print it. Made my eyes water trying to read it.

Control + on you computer. Or save and zoom..

Someplace(meaning in a chest or 4 of cruiser lit) I have it in print, it's from toyota trails.

I have @Racer65's power steering and it's fantastic. Well worth the money spent. Very easy to install. No welding. It's virtually plug and play.

All you do is remove your steering column, exchange a few parts, bolt it onto your rag joint and firewall then wire it up.

Iron Pig Offroad provides a good summary of the different hydraulic power steering options:
Power Steering

Definitely do your research to understand the pros and cons of each. Cost is one factor among many. IMHO it is not your primary consideration on an '82, because the wrong solution will negatively impact the value of your '82 far more than the cost of any of these solutions.

Also bear in mind is what goes into the cost equation:
  1. Total cost is the cost of the kit plus labor for installation and fabrication
  2. The quality of components being used. Cost varies depending on whether you put in used junkyard stuff vs. remanufactured vs. brand new

Last edited:
if I ever put the 78 on the road(just being lazy and not motivated), I think I will try the electronic PS, not that I don't love the OEM PS but the 78 block is not tapped for the pump and it would be fun to try something different

that said, I still have 2 PS housing, 2 OEM PS boxes and a few brackets and pumps.......

if I ever put the 78 on the road(just being lazy and not motivated), I think I will try the electronic PS, not that I don't love the OEM PS but the 78 block is not tapped for the pump and it would be fun to try something different

that said, I still have 2 PS housing, 2 OEM PS boxes and a few brackets and pumps.......

The OEM components are always precious because any truck that originally came with factory power steering will need it down the road. These cars cannot be directly switched over to electric, because the EPS kit is intended for the manual setup.

Last edited:
its like the H55 fj40 top plate I have.....pretty sure I will be buried with it ;)

Hi, I think my family will bury all my cruiser parts with me,..and that's ok. Mike

if you want factory P/S there is really nothing that needs to be hacked up(shaft is cut a wee bit where it goes into box) its pretty much bolt on. I added OEM PS to my 82 when I got in 15 years ago, parts were no easier to find then, then now. I happen to find a write up(in print form) by our own Jim C. that showed how to do it.

I had one shoulders done 6-ish years ago, my other is not far away, but of all my Cruisers(even the 100 series) my 82 Fj40 is the easiest to drive with a bum shoulder, the wheel(and shiftier) is just in the right spot. Still have two 45's with manual and I know it after a day of driving(and shifting 3 on the tree)

there are a few options, you will spend about $800-1500 on parts(plus $ for labor) My guess on labor, depending on who and where, $500-700.

In my case I started with an new empty PS housing for a fj40(can still be had), then used solid axle mini truck box for parts for the internal guts of the new box(guts are the same as fj40), OEM PS seal kit(again, same as mini truck) Sent that to Redhead Gear in Seattle to be put together. The new box bolts right in-place of the manual box. The PS pump and bracket(fJ60, same as 40) will bolt up to your 82 2f, new steering rag joint (or whatever its called, not required but I did) Manual steering shaft is cut just a tiny bit. That's really about it. You can get the high pressure hose from NAPA(for $40-ish)

As much as I am a OEM nut, the PS cooler tube is not needed, I used a small trany(or maybe a PS cooler) cooler instead. After I did all this to my 82, I ended up finding 2 factory PS boxes locally, one had the cooler tube......never had the desire to put the tube in, but also not getting rid of it ;)

GM PS would not be something I would do on a 82 myself. But you could do the standard mini truck PS, its the same as above but uses a mount to get the same position as the factory PS box, you can save problem $400 by going that way. (remember fj40 PS is the same as a solid axle mini truck PS)

Or electric, which sounds good, but I have never driven that set up myself to comment

Excuse me for reviving this thread. I'm getting ready to source all these parts for my 80 fj40 on the Power Steering. Landpimp, Do you by chance have any of the new part numbers for all these parts? I have the Housing Assembly part number, but am wondering if you have it written down anywhere. If you don't, no biggy, I'll find it eventually :) Thanks for all your insight

Maybe someplace....at some point but not that I can remember anymore

Did my electric PS on my 77 last summer and couldn't be happier. Used the kit from Ken at epowersteering.com. Have about $700 total into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom