Contemplating a '79 Toyota Dolphin RV. Correction BOUGHT! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mild build: I wanna enjoy it so keeping the downtime to a minimum will be a priority.

I'll be prioritizing the camper side. First thing is to upgrade the dual battery setup. I have a 12V 1500w GO power puresine wave inverter from the first version of the Zombie Trailer's electrical system as well as 2 12V 200Ah AGM batteries that'll go in as well. Rewire the entire camper side for 110v. 600-900w of solar panels should fit on the roof. The camper has a propane refrigerator/freezer that I'll probably replace with a compressor based refrigerator/freezer. Stove may be upgraded to a induction cooktop like the one I have in the Zombie Trailer. The propane heaters analog temperature controller will be switched out for a digital one. Since the heater is a 10000btu unit I'll probably install a 10000btu window AC unit as well.

The cabover bed will be re foamed and new sheets added. Same with the dinette cushions.

Later in the summer after I finish the 2FE build for my FJ40 I'll pull the 20r and more than likely put in the spare 7MGTE engine I have for my '87 Supra Turbo (May source a non turbo 7MGE instead. Shoehorning the intercooler and piping may be too much a pain.) I have a W58 and R154 transmission to upgrade the 4 speed L43. The W58 appears to be the easier swap.

Since the rear is a 8" 3rd member the LSD from my Supra should fit for improved traction. Yup got a spare of that too. I'll be on the hunt for a 1ton ff dually from the later Toyota motorhomes. Although the axle is pre recall for peace of mind I'll upgrade.

That's the tentative plan. It'll keep all my vehicles inline 6 and keep the number of different spare engines/transmissions to a minimum.

Crazy? Oh yes. If anyone sees problems or has better suggestions let me know.

Oh and does anybody know of brake upgrades for a '78 Toyota hilux?

Last edited:
Love the plan - will follow for sure.

Shoehorning the intercooler and piping may be too much a pain...
Where there'a a will...
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 8.20.57 PM.png

Mild build: I wanna enjoy it so keeping the downtime to a minimum will be a priority.

I'll be prioritizing the camper side. First thing is to upgrade the dual battery setup. I have a 12V 1500w GO power puresine wave inverter from the first version of the Zombie Trailer's electrical system as well as 2 12V 200Ah AGM batteries that'll go in as well. Rewire the entire camper side for 110v. 600-900w of solar panels should fit on the roof. The camper has a propane refrigerator/freezer that I'll probably replace with a compressor based refrigerator/freezer. Stove may be upgraded to a induction cooktop like the one I have in the Zombie Trailer. The propane heaters analog temperature controller will be switched out for a digital one. Since the heater is a 10000btu unit I'll probably install a 10000btu window AC unit as well.

The cabover bed will be re foamed and new sheets added. Same with the dinette cushions.

Later in the summer after I finish the 2FE build for my FJ40 I'll pull the 20r and more than likely put in the spare 7MGTE engine I have for my '87 Supra Turbo (May source a non turbo 7MGE instead. Shoehorning the intercooler and piping may be too much a pain.) I have a W58 and R154 transmission to upgrade the 4 speed L43. The W58 appears to be the easier swap.

Since the rear is a 8" 3rd member the LSD from my Supra should fit for improved traction. Yup got a spare of that too. I'll be on the hunt for a 1ton ff dually from the later Toyota motorhomes. Although the axle is pre recall for peace of mind I'll upgrade.

That's the tentative plan. It'll keep all my vehicles inline 6 and keep the number of different spare engines/transmissions to a minimum.

Crazy? Oh yes. If anyone sees problems or has better suggestions let me know.

Oh and does anybody know of brake upgrades for a '78 Toyota hilux?

Nice plan! But you're missing one very important crucial step....

SAS!!!!!!!

Nice plan! But you're missing one very important crucial step....

SAS!!!!!!!

Mild build! Tell you what since it doesn't have power steering I'll try and source a R151F tranny so I can at least put it into 2LO for those crappy parking jobs. That'll give me the upgrade path for 4wd in the future.

First step in any project is cleaning out the vehicle and assessing what works and what doesn't. It was obvious that the PO cared for this vehicle as not only did he have a repair manual for the rig but also had brand new wheel bearings and a complete clutch kit in one of the drawers. SCORE!
image.jpg

I hooked up the propane and ran the appliances through their paces. The 4 burner stoves and oven all work. The Refrigerator works on both propane as well as 110v. The furnace unfortunately is being stubborn so I'll have to tear into it and figure out why it is firing. The freshwater tank appears to hold water but the freshwater drain is broken due to age. So that'll have to be fixed. Sink drains properly and the water pump works as well.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am pleased to note that the wastewater tank also has no leaks and that the toilet functions perfectly. I went in it a few times to mark my territory. LOL.
image.jpg

I am impressed at how well maintained this thing is. Other than some funky wiring in the engine compartment the PO seems to have done an excellent job caring for it. It's a shame (NOT!!!) to hack it up and modify it.

More pics to come. I'll be installing the inverter and welding battery brackets to hold the 2 giant batteries under the cab this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom