Contemplating a '79 Toyota Dolphin RV. Correction BOUGHT! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While drinking the bierz with a buddy he casually asked if I wanted to go check out a old Toyota RV that needed work. Being a sucker for old 'Yotas I readily agreed.

With little more than duct tape and a jump the anemic 20r roared to life. Not bad for sitting in a lot for over 2years. The rest of her was as careworn as one would expect from a 40 year old toyota. But everything was still in there. The refrigerator, stove , heater looked to be in working condition and the propane system had been updated at some point. And it had a BATHROOM! The holy grail of every mans significant other.

Visions of traveling the country visiting every national park flitted through my mind as I pored over every inch of her. It would take work. Quite possibly a lot of work judging by the roof. Leaks definitely likely. The 20r would definitely have to go. The 4 speed transmission would have to be upgraded as well.

So what do you think fellow mudders? Take on the task or drink more bierz?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

We need more pics, what's the cab look like? From the interior I'm guessing it's a 79-83? Looks cool from the pics you have , the dash looks mint. That's cool it has all the appliances and a bathroom

...I think it would be sweet to SAS one and build a 4x4 offroad camper!

Last edited:
What are they asking? Looks like there's some body damge in the rear corner. I've always wanted one of these.

I think this one really depends on your skills. Can you repair the camper parts, e.g. fiberglass, interior stuff, etc?

I agree with @rustED71 - with some mods (okay, a lot of mods) this could be killer expedition/camping rig.

And yeah... more pics!

Pretty sure it's a '78 chassis. The bumper hitch looks home made. From the literature its a series 200 floor plan. 16-17' length. Pre axle recall model.

Afaik he's selling for a friend. Asking 2k though I got first dibs and a drinking buddy discount if I decide to nab it.

I'll have more pics this weekend when we finish going over the mechanical side.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

What are they asking? Looks like there's some body damge in the rear corner. I've always wanted one of these.

I've always wanted one as well. But once I got my FJ80 and later the FJ40 and Zombie Trailer it kinda fell by the wayside. But the girl wants an enclosed bathroom And it is damn near impossible to fit one in a 6' x 6' box. So here I am looking at another project. 😅😱

Love the 4 eyes frontend, I should have known it was pre 79' from the door panel in the one pic...I'd nab it up!

You are asking the wrong people for advice. We are all going to say "nab it", fix it, SAS it, etc. Save the old Toyota.
Um, no. I'm going to just ask "why?" That is a lot of work for $2000. And it's not even 4WD. I know it does have a cool retro factor. But by the time you put in the effort and money, you will be better off getting the new Mercedes van.

Do you have space for it? Yes? Do it. The best part is when your wife has a conniption about another rust bucket following you home like a stray dog, you can sleep in it. As you said, it has a bathroom so technically do you even need to leave?

edit: the stray dog that follows you home can sleep in the camper with you.

Last edited:
If you are familiar with the type of repairs it needs and looking for a cool project- I'd do it!
You could probably get your money back out of it if needed.

Um, no. I'm going to just ask "why?" That is a lot of work for $2000. And it's not even 4WD. I know it does have a cool retro factor. But by the time you put in the effort and money, you will be better off getting the new Mercedes van.

As I'm still working through the pros and cons I appreciate your comment. Funny enough my buddy builds VW Vanagons for fun. He swaps Subaru EJ25's into them.

4wd is not a deal breaker for me as I already have the Old Gurl/Zombie Trailer combination which has served me well for 2 years. I'll never get rid of either so whatever I choose has to be complementary and not overlap too much.

Useable space I think is my biggest problem in the Zombie Trailer. Converting the bench/bed is a pain in the arse and gets old after a few days. Having a dedicated bed and dining/seating area would be nice.

Driving an FJ40 I've learned to be patient going up hills and on the freeway. Towing a brick with another brick has been a lesson in zenlike patience. The anemic 20r can't possibly be slower than what I'm rocking now.

I also figure anything I buy I'm gonna have to modify anyway to fit my purposes. Something I can tear into and not worry about ruining it.

I'll have to look at receipts of what I spent on the Zombie Trailer but I'm sure I came out waaay ahead of anything I could have bought that has even close to half of the stuff that I put in it. The Old Gurl...well that's a bottomless money pit but a labor of love.

Still going back and forth. keep the comments coming.

Btw. I've been studiously reading your 2FE build. I'll most likely be going a similar direction with the spare 2F engine I picked up a few months ago.

I think this one really depends on your skills. Can you repair the camper parts, e.g. fiberglass, interior stuff, etc?

I agree with @rustED71 - with some mods (okay, a lot of mods) this could be killer expedition/camping rig.

And yeah... more pics!

If you are familiar with the type of repairs it needs and looking for a cool project- I'd do it!
You could probably get your money back out of it if needed.

I have a garage full of both woodworking and metalworking tools and know how to use them. Now aesthetics...lets just say that's not my strong suit.

What final gear ratio does it have to carry the weight? It was built when the speed limit was 55 mph, will it pull at least 65 mph? It would be a neat resto project, but wouldn't want to drive it on the interstate. It's a good deal at $1200 if it runs, drives.

What final gear ratio does it have to carry the weight? It was built when the speed limit was 55 mph, will it pull at least 65 mph? It would be a neat resto project, but wouldn't want to drive it on the interstate. It's a good deal at $1200 if it runs, drives.

G082. So 4.11 gear in the rear. 8" 3rd member. Owner claims it'll do 75mph on the flats. Apparently it's been driven to both coasts. I'll be finishing up the mechanical checks this weekend. Not gonna lie this baby is calling to me.

image.jpg

After all fluids were topped off the RV was loaded up on to the trailer.
image.jpg

The Old Gurl looking on as final checks of straps are performed
image.jpg

My buddy's collection of VW Vanagons in various states of repair.
image.jpg

After drinking the bierz and haggling moneys were exchanged and I am officially the proud owner of this '79 Toyota Dolphin.

I'll be digging into this in the coming months. THIS is gonna be FUN!

image.jpg

Congratulations on the purchase! Hope the resto goes well and looking forward to the pics.
Looking at your buddy's vanagon collection brings back some memories of my '84, mostly bad memories, but memories just the same. The vanagons hold a cult following and are great driving, but that 1.9 wasserboxer engine was 💩.

Congrats! That dolphin looks like a cool project.

It's shape reminds me of a hedgehog :)

Congrats! What the plan? Keep it stock or mild build?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom