Considering Cruise Moab 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about making plans to go.

My 93 has a 3" TJM progressive lift, OPOR sliders, Ironman front bumper with a comeup winch, prinsu rack with an ARB RTT. Stock rear bumper/trailer hitch. I have a set of 285 KO2s, and a set of 255 KM2s, so I'd have to figure out which would be preferable for the trip.

Would I be able to run many of the trails? I went to Moab last year, but was so loaded down with crap I didn't attempt much beyond dirt roads. Hitch mounted carrier with a cooler was a bad system.

I'm primarily wondering if it would be better to leave the RTT home, or if it's a minor compromise? I would be a good 1200 miles from home, and not interested in trails with rollover risk.

DSCF3529.jpg

You absolutely could run trails in Moab and have a great time. I personally would rent a cabin and leave the RTT at home but that is just my preference. A huge part of Moab isn't just the trails it is the great time you have while you are there.

I've never been to the "Cruise Moab" event, but many other gatherings in Moab over the last 30 years (yes, 30) .

There are many, many interesting trails to run that don't require risking your rig. Great scenery, cool caves, old Springs, abandoned mines. Run the lower rated trails and just enjoy yourself.

yes, go! my first time was in 2010 and I had a bone stock fzj80 and ran poison spyder mesa. I do have factory lockers. I had a blast and kept up with all the guys running huge tires, etc. I did bash the hell out of my stock running boards but did not care, those got ripped off when I got home. The only upgrade was 285 all terrains. It was a great way of really knowing what my truck was capable of doing BEFORE I modded the hell out of it. That trip made me realize that I don't need to do too much to make it a great all around 4x4.

I went 2nd time last year and had a blast. Most trails like fins and things stock trucks can do just fine with correct spotting, etc.

I would say if you trying the rubicon then it would be a whole different thing but Moab offers such a variety of trails. You will have a blast. Only reason I am not going this year is we are planning on going to the FJ summit in Ouray, CO.

Pro tip: stay the HELL AWAY from the slickrock campground. That place is just disgusting and I am not a fancy type of guy. Go to the event there but find another place to stay.

Noah

We have a house in Moab now so I haven't had to do the campgrounds in a while but one of the better ones was Moab Valley RV Resort and Campground. Cabins are clean, have little grills out front, shower/bathrooms were always spotless, etc. Like I said it has been probably 10 years but I can't imagine they have changed that much.

Looks like the event is at Kane Creek Campground this year, which looks like a good campground to me. No showers, wifi, or cell service. Perfect. :p

Tent camping would be fine, but I do prefer sleeping in the RTT. So if it's not gonna keep me out of most of the easier trails I'll bring it.

I’ve been twice now similarly loaded up and have had a great time both times. I’ve done Fins, Elephant Hill day run, and The Swell overnighter, fully loaded with the RTT and whole family on the trail. I had the RTT cuz we spent a week camping and exploring on our way out and back to Moab. If I was to just shoot out to Moab for the event and back, I’d leave the RTT at home and Holiday Inn it.

I’ve been twice now similarly loaded up and have had a great time both times. I’ve done Fins, Elephant Hill day run, and The Swell overnighter, fully loaded with the RTT and whole family on the trail. I had the RTT cuz we spent a week camping and exploring on our way out and back to Moab. If I was to just shoot out to Moab for the event and back, I’d leave the RTT at home and Holiday Inn it.
That's similar to my plan. I've got 3 weeks vacation, with cruise moab during the middle week.

Last year was my first time. I had 35s and the typical OME 2.5ish inch lift. I had open diffs. Fins and Things was a piece of cake and very fun so you might use that as a gauge. I think you would really enjoy it.

I'd echo leaving the RTT at home. Part of the fun is the up/down off camber stuff and carrying weight high up is not always ideal.

Frank

I've never used an RTT, but can they be taken off and setup on the ground, or something? I would suggest not having it on for trails too.

I've never used an RTT, but can they be taken off and setup on the ground, or something? I would suggest not having it on for trails too.
Not a chance. I park under a tree and use a winch to take it on and off. I haven't weighed it, but probably 150~ lbs? A small trailer would be my best option, if I could find one.

EDIT: Just realized my M105 might be a decent option, weighs in at 2k lbs. I've only towed it locally, but I think it would be an OK option if I don't pack much weight.
IMG_20170401_190210130.jpg

IMG_20170401_190358637.jpg

Last edited:
Your m105 scream RTT platform :)

5th time for me, bringing 3 other Aussies, we booked Holiday Inn this year, bummer the event will be 6 miles away this year .

5th time for me, bringing 3 other Aussies, we booked Holiday Inn this year, bummer the event will be 6 miles away this year .
Make sure the pinion shims dont dissolve!

Was kicking around going with the wife a few weeks ago, time off work is hard to come by in my business. Who has been before? Worth spending all my vacation days driving there/back/enjoying the event?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom