Cone Washers FJ40 truck (1 Viewer)

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,921
Location
Reno, NV
 
 
 
Are the steering arm cone washers the same for an FJ40 and a truck?
If so should I re-use them when I do a truck knuckle conversion?
 

airon23

SILVER Star
Joined
Jan 5, 2004
Messages
1,611
Location
Reno NV
 
 
 
hey there rusty, good luck with your conversion. Hope you get er running soon.
 

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,921
Location
Reno, NV
 
 
 
airon23 said:
hey there rusty, good luck with your conversion. Hope you get er running soon.
Thanks me to, how's the SOA coming?
 
Joined
Feb 6, 2002
Messages
15,133
Location
OC, CA
 
 
 
 
Cone washers for 79 up FJ are 12 mm and the same as 79-85 mini truck. E-78 FJ cone washers are 11 mm.
 

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
2,396
Location
Long Island, NY
 
 
 
they are different.....

pin head is correct. the early to 1978 are smaller. I found this out the hard way.

later cruiser/truck knuckles use a 12mmx1.25 nut and a 12mm cone washer.

cheers,

ragman
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
6,220
Location
Georgia Tech
 
 
 
rusty_tlc said:
What about re-using the cone washers?
Just fine.

Not a bad idea to replace all the hardware, especially if running large tires, P/S etc, but nothing wrong with reusing.
 

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,921
Location
Reno, NV
 
 
 
CruisinGA said:
Just fine.

Not a bad idea to replace all the hardware, especially if running large tires, P/S etc, but nothing wrong with reusing.
Definately going to replace the Studs I would think they take all the stress.

I don't see anything magic about the nuts, am I missing something? I was just going to pick up some from the Hardware store.
 
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
615
rusty_tlc said:
Definately going to replace the Studs I would think they take all the stress.

I don't see anything magic about the nuts, am I missing something? I was just going to pick up some from the Hardware store.
I would be carefull about were I got the studs, You need the right grade.
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
6,220
Location
Georgia Tech
 
 
 
I would only buy Toyota or upgrade hardware from a cruiser vendor...

Unless you really know your metal grades and are certain what you are getting from the store...

Loose and broken nuts/washers/studs can cause you a world of hurt.
 

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
20,451
Location
MN
 
 
 
Well beyond significantly stronger than stock butter studs....
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom