Complete ATF loss going up a hill after ATF line rupture. Potential damage to transmission? 2003 UZJ100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all.
My 2003 UZJ100R had the alternator die today.
Symptoms were the radio kept dropping out - I initially assumed it was the radio station losing signal, but then I realized the stereo was blanking out completely, i.e turning off.
At the next intersection, the car died completely.
I managed to roll it out of the traffic and checked the battery, which was very flat - putting a multimeter on it, when I tried to crank it, it would drop to below 10v immediately.
I called the RACT - our local roadside assist, and they confirmed it wasn't just a loose negative terminal, but that the alternator had failed.
They jump started it, but the battery kept dropping in volts.
The fuse tested OK.

So, it was towed to my mechanic.
He replaced the alternator, and I had it back that afternoon.

However, on the drive home, while climbing a short, steep hill in a residential street, I noticed the car losing power.
I tried to accelerate a bit more, to try to get past some parked cars, so I could pull off the road, but I had lost all acceleration, and I could smell something bad.

I immediately turned off the engine, put on the hazard lights, and hopped out, directing the traffic around me.
With the help of a passing motorist, I managed to roll the car back about 20 meters downhill in neutral to a park off the roadway.
When I popped the bonnet, it was a mess, liquid everywhere - sprayed over the firewall, bonnet, bash plates, and pretty much everywhere else.

At first I thought it was a blown head gasket or similar, however, after checking the oil, and the coolant, they were both fine, however when I checked the ATF dipstick, it was completely dry. :(
The mechanic came out and has towed it, on a flatbed, back to his garage, and assumes that, when they replaced the alternator, and the drive belt, the junior mechanic who worked on it must have bent one of the ATF lines, near the radiator, out of the way to gain access, and must have ruptured the line.

I had drove approximately 10km from the garage to where I broke down, with no issue, and only noticed it on the (fairly short, 300m or so) steep hill, when it... went downhill (pun intended).

My question is, what is the likelihood of damage to the transmission from that sudden, and I guess brief, episode?

The mechanic seems to think that replacing that damaged ATF line, and refilling the transmission fluid, should resolve it, but I am concerned that there may be some permanent damage to the transmission.
I heard no unusual sounds, no grinding, or the like, just a lack of acceleration, and very shortly afterwards, no ability to move, when I then shut off the engine.

I hope he is right, but feeling pretty deflated and disappointed after breaking down twice in one day, from two different issues.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I unfortunately had a very similar issue recently... (see post to my link)

I thought mine would be fine but no. I replaced the SLT solenoid myself and refilled and triple checked the fluid level. Still not 100% the same as before and I think I'm hyper focused everytime it shifts now to which doesn't help. I can't recall what was "normal" and feel like something is still amiss, although it could be exactly how it was before all this happened.

Fingers crossed yours comes out unscathed.

Oh dear!
Thanks for your advice @chrisbruck, but that if anything makes me worry more, as I guess, you are aware.
As you say, I hope, with fingers crossed, that all will be well, but still not happy at all. :(
I'll update, hopefully tomorrow, with any additional details.

I'm not 100% on this but the transmission holds a lot of fluid and it's not like you were towing a long distance with little to no fluid in it. You might be fine, these are pretty tough units.

Best way to tell will be by driving it after it's been refilled.

Not exactly apples to apples, but I blew a transmission line on one of my old Mercedes on the highway. Immediate loss of power and pulled off immediately for a tow. I ended up selling that car needing a transmission rebuild. I spent months messing with different fluid weights, vacuum settings, cable adjustments, etc.. it just was not coming back short of rebuild. I only mention this to suggest: expect the worst and hope for the best. In the worst case scenario, it sounds like the mechanic may be the one liable.

Oh dear!
Thanks for your advice @chrisbruck, but that if anything makes me worry more, as I guess, you are aware.
As you say, I hope, with fingers crossed, that all will be well, but still not happy at all. :(
I'll update, hopefully tomorrow, with any additional details.

Please keep us posted or message me separately. Very curious your outcome as I'm about to dig into mine again and check the other solenoids. 98% of the time mine's fine... I just can't shake that 2% where it seems off, ugh.

the line to the radiator on our 2003 failed and spilled red fluid all over the road. I probably drove a half mile during the process not realizing
I was losing ATF fluid and it was not shifting properly. Coincidentally, the alternator failed within 2 months after that incident. But interesting you had these two problems at the same time, too.

The transmission was fine.

Best way to tell will be by driving it after it's been refilled.

Not exactly apples to apples, but I blew a transmission line on one of my old Mercedes on the highway. Immediate loss of power and pulled off immediately for a tow. I ended up selling that car needing a transmission rebuild. I spent months messing with different fluid weights, vacuum settings, cable adjustments, etc.. it just was not coming back short of rebuild. I only mention this to suggest: expect the worst and hope for the best. In the worst case scenario, it sounds like the mechanic may be the one liable.
Thanks for your input @MongooseGA.
I hope its the best case, of course. :)

Thanks also for your input @Wah00.
That sounds reassuring. :)
This whole episode is really frustrating - the transmission has been the most reliable part of this car so far.
I had had the transmission filter pan replaced, and refilled with genuine Toyota red ATF, a couple of years ago.
I hope but suspect the mechanic may not replace it with the same quality AT fluid.

Just an update.
Turns out a flexible hose was moved and was left located too close to the fan.
Under acceleration, the fan moves back slightly towards the engine, causing the blade to dig into and eventually rupture the ATF line.

The hose has been replaced, new AT fluid added, and it seems to be running better than before.
Had the engine bay cleaned with a high pressure hose.

Perhaps its the new alternator actually properly charging the battery, and providing the correct voltage, or perhaps its the new drive belt, or perhaps its just psychological, but it does seem to be going better. :)

Either way, I'm breathing a huge sigh of release.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.

That's good to hear. Glad your tranny is all better.

I had the same problem with that hose. There's a clip it pops into to hold it in place away from the fan. Last time I changed my oil filter I think I knocked it loose and it started making contact with the fan until it cut all the way through it.

Does anyone have a photo of the correct hose routing here? Bonus points if we can get examples of both early and late model years for reference.

1670685943925.png

It's hose 32921D. Clips directly below the fan on the crossmember.

FWIW, that hose is unobtanium in the states...

Politely disagree... my local Atlanta dealer found one... no idea where though. Actual part number on the invoice is 32941-60290.

Just an update.
Turns out a flexible hose was moved and was left located too close to the fan.
Under acceleration, the fan moves back slightly towards the engine, causing the blade to dig into and eventually rupture the ATF line.

The hose has been replaced, new AT fluid added, and it seems to be running better than before.
Had the engine bay cleaned with a high pressure hose.

Perhaps its the new alternator actually properly charging the battery, and providing the correct voltage, or perhaps its the new drive belt, or perhaps its just psychological, but it does seem to be going better. :)

Either way, I'm breathing a huge sigh of release.

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.
The system voltage plays a major role: Both the alternator and battery are involved)
My car (not the LC) had a bad battery (unaware), alternator was producing 14.2 V and the gas mileage dropped from 26 city down to 23. I thought it is the new bigger tires I installed at the same time I noticed the mpg grop. After 2 months, got a new battery, guess what.. I am getting 26 MPG again and it ride smooth as well.

It's hose 32921D. Clips directly below the fan on the crossmember.
The clip mounts to the P/S hard line on steering rack. I have additionally added two cable to hold the trans hose to P/S hard line.

Politely disagree... my local Atlanta dealer found one... no idea where though. Actual part number on the invoice is 32941-60290.
Did you actually receive it or did they just process the order. I was able to order that part number as well but it bounced back as no longer available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom