Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@cavboy78 The Dobinsons tapered rear definitely needs some weight to get it down. I'm running just plain 4x4 labs rear currently until I complete the swing arm. The rear of my rig is pumped up like a drag car currently. I'm thinking once I can get the weight over the back it should trim out. I'm not sure what the load specs say on it for additional weight.

@cavboy78 The Dobinsons tapered rear definitely needs some weight to get it down. I'm running just plain 4x4 labs rear currently until I complete the swing arm. The rear of my rig is pumped up like a drag car currently. I'm thinking once I can get the weight over the back it should trim out. I'm not sure what the load specs say on it for additional weight.

You run the Flexys, not the tapereds, correct? I am trying to decide on rear coils for my truck and cant decide on which dobinsons rear option would be the best for me. Steel rear bumper but no swing out, LCPs tire carrier w/35. no plans for drawers.

@NateMob pm me if you want to check em out. I live over on the east side of town, but i'm always out and about.

You run the Flexys, not the tapereds, correct? I am trying to decide on rear coils for my truck and cant decide on which dobinsons rear option would be the best for me. Steel rear bumper but no swing out, LCPs tire carrier w/35. no plans for drawers.

I had the dual rate non-tapered wire before. I switched earlier this year to the dual rate tapered wire coil. The tapered rear is obviously setup for a lot more load than what I had in it before. If you are just running a rear bumper with tire then the non-tapered or Flexi coils should make a nice even looking setup for you.

I had the dual rate non-tapered wire before. I switched earlier this year to the dual rate tapered wire coil. The tapered rear is obviously setup for a lot more load than what I had in it before. If you are just running a rear bumper with tire then the non-tapered or Flexi coils should make a nice even looking setup for you.

Thank you for the reply, that really helps! So you went from the 3" non tapered to the 3" tapereds?

Last edited:
Mine is supposed to be 2.5'' tapered front and 2.0'' tapered rear.

Sorry to hammer you with questions, so did you gain height from the 3" non tapered to the 2" tapereds?

@NateMob I'm running the 3" tapered, bior rear dual swing out and it's sitting at 4 inches of lift like 24.25 from center hub to flare bottom

@cavboy78 truck looks good with the Dobinsons tapered. How did you address caster?

putting cc bushings on this week actually. it wasn't that bad without, but def wanders more than i would like. we'll see.

Looking into replacing my front shocks. Current setup is OME stock height coils and 25mm spacer. Arb with warn 12k. Not sure what length I should be using to get the most out of it without possibly causing damage to the shock. Opinions welcome!

Looking into replacing my front shocks. Current setup is OME stock height coils and 25mm spacer. Arb with warn 12k. Not sure what length I should be using to get the most out of it without possibly causing damage to the shock. Opinions welcome!
Go to the 1st page in this thread you will find the free height of the 861 plus 25mm will be tall enough to be retained with the longer OME L shock or equivalent to a 26.5" extended shock.

Go to the 1st page in this thread you will find the free height of the 861 plus 25mm will be tall enough to be retained with the longer OME L shock or equivalent to a 26.5" extended shock.
Just read all of your musings in your build thread.. extremely helpful! I went as budget as possible and it seems that I inadvertently ended up with a great setup. The OME stock height coils ride like a dream loaded and unloaded

First off...great thread/sticky! Can I get a recommendation or is this just data only? If data only, I will delete...no worries. Looking for a 50mm/2ish inch lift. Currently running OME 850/860, which is 50mm. Like the overall height, but springs are 10+ years old. Looking at Dobinsons and Slinky/autocraft only as replacement. Dobinsons sells tapered and flexi, believe the tapered is the top of the line, but not really sure on difference. Are all autocraft springs actually "slinky springs" or is that a different designation? My rig has ARB front bumper with Warn 8K, WK sliders, Cruisin off road skids, Prinsu rack, DC Fab (similar to 4x4 labs) rear single swingout with ladder, and soon to be LRA 24 aux fuel tank. Running 315/75/16 with Toyo AT-II and Fox 2.0 shocks. Looking for the best 50 mm springs for stuff/flex/all around goodness. TIA :beer:

I'm very biased to dual rate coils... there are plenty of manufactures out there nowdays & I don't think one can go wrong with any brand you purchase. Call the sales reps of any brand to get the custom fit to your type of wheelin & vehicle weight.
I have posted links as much as I could if there is anymore people can add to this thread please do.

Keep to specs as much as possible though.... to much info is as bad as not enough also. Does that make sense?

First off...great thread/sticky! Can I get a recommendation or is this just data only? If data only, I will delete...no worries. Looking for a 50mm/2ish inch lift. Currently running OME 850/860, which is 50mm. Like the overall height, but springs are 10+ years old. Looking at Dobinsons and Slinky/autocraft only as replacement. Dobinsons sells tapered and flexi, believe the tapered is the top of the line, but not really sure on difference. Are all autocraft springs actually "slinky springs" or is that a different designation? My rig has ARB front bumper with Warn 8K, WK sliders, Cruisin off road skids, Prinsu rack, DC Fab (similar to 4x4 labs) rear single swingout with ladder, and soon to be LRA 24 aux fuel tank. Running 315/75/16 with Toyo AT-II and Fox 2.0 shocks. Looking for the best 50 mm springs for stuff/flex/all around goodness. TIA :beer:

Autocraft makes both "Slinky" and non "Slinky" springs. I ended up with Slinky over Dobinsons because I didn't want to go over the advertised lift height with my rig. In my research, it seems like the Dobinsons Taper springs are made for heavier rigs. This would reduce my flex and increase my ride height. I ordered the 75mm intermediate Slinky stage 1 and got exactly 75mm of lift. (I have front bumper, winch, sliders, full belly skid, rear bumper but no swing out)

Can I use Toyota Genuine Suspension along with 2" Iron Man Coil Spring and visa versa ?
Would it preform perfectly or not?

Can I use Toyota Genuine Suspension along with 2" Iron Man Coil Spring and visa versa ?
Would it preform perfectly or not?
I am sure there is a question in there somewhere, but I can't figure out what it is.

Sorry to hammer you with questions, so did you gain height from the 3" non tapered to the 2" tapereds?

Dude, totally never saw this and I apologize. To answer your question the 2.5'' front definitely brought me down in front. The 2.0 tapered rear is currently sitting at least as high as I was with the 3'' . The difference is I currently don't have any swingouts or spare tire sitting over the rear. These springs definitely are designed with extra carrying capacity in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom