Compact Impact Wrench for 80 Work? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone care to weigh in on the best Dremel / kit for automotive work?

The M18 says it has 1500ft/lbs of torque!? 😳

Thats 10 times more than my porter cable, which I thought was pretty good. 😄
It's a beast for sure. It has yet to hesitate at anything we have thrown at it. Buddy came to borrow it for a 15/16 bolt on a 30 year old dozer, he had been trying with a 6ft breaker bar and couldn't budge it. The m18 spun it off no problem

Hi, I like the 1/2 Makita, it’s not light however. Mike
Yeah. I'm already into the Milwaukee system and its pricey batteries. Great stuff, but the deeper in you get, the less likely you are to switch...

These 2, we don't use no stinking air tools anymore

Same here, also uses this:

The 3/8 M12 Stubby is one of the best tool I have, light and powerful.

Yeah. I'm already into the Milwaukee system and its pricey batteries. Great stuff, but the deeper in you get, the less likely you are to switch...
For me, you can't beat the 5 year warranty and the "lightning repair". We have been through well over a thousand drills and impacts at work over the last 9 years. I just get online, fill out the form for the tool. They email me the free shipping label and I send the tools back. Within 5 days, I either have a repaired tool back, or a brand new tool. Mostly, brand new. I have probably warrantied 200 tools with them, mostly from techs not taking care of their tools, and Milwaukee has stood behind their warranty.

i have a 3 year old ryobi and for the money i cant complain. there are a few bolts it doesnt like. 50% of the time it wont take the crank pulley off and, depending on rust, it doesnt like the radius arm and control arm bolts. other than that it works great. all of my buddies have the M18 stuff and it is amazing but it also cost about 4 times as much.

i will be replacing my ryobi with another ryobi when it dies. the new brushless version hits harder so it might get the few bolts i currently struggle with. the price to performance is just too good and i dont use my tools for my main income so i dont "NEED" them to work.

i have a 3 year old ryobi and for the money i cant complain. there are a few bolts it doesnt like. 50% of the time it wont take the crank pulley off and, depending on rust, it doesnt like the radius arm and control arm bolts. other than that it works great. all of my buddies have the M18 stuff and it is amazing but it also cost about 4 times as much.

i will be replacing my ryobi with another ryobi when it dies. the new brushless version hits harder so it might get the few bolts i currently struggle with. the price to performance is just too good and i dont use my tools for my main income so i dont "NEED" them to work.
Just FYI. I believe Milwaukee currently is running a special on drills. If you bring in any brand, drill and 2 batteries (don't have to be working) you get $100. off. Milwaukee does quarterly specials like this all the time but they aren't advertised. You have to go to a rep shop. Home Depot has a listing of these specials they can look up at the checkout counter as well by a knowledgeable staff member

Just FYI. I believe Milwaukee currently is running a special on drills. If you bring in any brand, drill and 2 batteries (don't have to be working) you get $100. off. Milwaukee does quarterly specials like this all the time but they aren't advertised. You have to go to a rep shop. Home Depot has a listing of these specials they can look up at the checkout counter as well by a knowledgeable staff member
All the tools we use at work are dewalt so I would rather switch to that since I am already invested in those batteries and chargers but that is a good deal.

Had the same question a few weeks back. I literally went back and looked at Ryan at OTRAMM's video on the oil pump cover seal frame by frame to see which one he uses, and bought that one off eBay. It's AWESOME: Matco Infinium 3/8 impact 2,400 bpm 16v impact wrench. I also have a 1/2" MAC Tools air impact for the bigger stuff.

This thread has me thinking about switching to electric. I currently have a big air compressor and an IR 1/2 air impact and assortment of IR tools. Ditching the compressor and hose reel would free up some much-needed room in the garage. I still have a pancake compressor and my PUMA I could use for tires and lighter compressed air duty.

What say ye? Worth the switch?

And follow-up question: I already have a wide assortment of Ryobi 18v tools (drills and saws and the like). They're not the greatest, but they get the job done for "around the house" work. I would like to stick with Ryobi mainly so I don't have to keep track of and charge different batteries. Are the Ryobi garage tools good? Better than, say, their circular saw? (which is weak, lol) Seems like Milwaukee is the standard.

@slow95z

What model is yours? their 1/2" is rated at 300 ft lbs, the 3/8 brushless is 160bft lbs. Seems 300 would be enough for suspension bolts, but maybe not the crank bolt.

This thread has me thinking about switching to electric. I currently have a big air compressor and an IR 1/2 air impact and assortment of IR tools. Ditching the compressor and hose reel would free up some much-needed room in the garage. I still have a pancake compressor and my PUMA I could use for tires and lighter compressed air duty.

And follow-up question: I already have a wide assortment of Ryobi 18v tools (drills and saws and the like). They're not the greatest, but they get the job done for "around the house" work. I would like to stick with Ryobi mainly so I don't have to keep track of and charge different batteries. Are the Ryobi garage tools good? Better than, say, their circular saw? (which is weak, lol) Seems like Milwaukee is the standard.

@slow95z
Keep the big compressor. I have a small IR vertical compressor and wished I had a larger 220v stationary vertical for running stuff like a needle scaler, paint gun, or blaster.

You never realize how important to steady stream of high CFM air is, until you run out.

That said, there’s no way I’d ever go back to air impacts tools. The silence and power are almost intoxicating.

I use the M18 1,000 ft-lb 1/2 impact when I need to exercise Monster Truck Force. I use the 3/8 M18 compact gun for most uses under 70 ft lbs.

OP: one thing to consider in addition to the electronic impacts is the sockets and extensions. Those will help with clearance more than anything. I use Sunex 3/8” sockets in deep and short form with a swivel and an array of extensions.

I wish they were US made. They are made in Taiwan, which is ok by me. Taiwan and Korea have come a long way in quality.

They are reasonably priced on Amazon and the sets are pretty complete.

@slow95z

If you already have air seems expensive and unnecessary to switch. Air is also handy to have to air chisels, nailers, sanders, etc... around the house. I also use it frequently to dust off the dog when we get back from the woods.

What model is yours? their 1/2" is rated at 300 ft lbs, the 3/8 brushless is 160bft lbs. Seems 300 would be enough for suspension bolts, but maybe not the crank bolt.
its old so not sure. i know its not the new brushless one. i think mine is only rated to 200 but i have used it on tighter stuff. the new one looks to be better. i also have 4 of the big 9AH batteries which made it hit much harder.

ok everyone, here is the review you need to see. i was checking out the new model of the ryobi to replace my old one. been talking about it for a while and this thread kinda pushed me that way. while on homedepot's site i see this and that should be all 99% of you need to see.

1600427586336.png

ok everyone, here is the review you need to see. i was checking out the new model of the ryobi to replace my old one. been talking about it for a while and this thread kinda pushed me that way. while on homedepot's site i see this and that should be all 99% of you need to see.

View attachment 2438982
I'm looking for an impact to do my water pump and fan clutch. Would you say it's better to get a Ryobi pistol grip with a set of wobble extensions, or just go for a stubby like the Matco or M18?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom