Colorado 77 Rolling Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my 77 Build

First a little about me

I’m 44 now and when I was 14, I started caddying at the local golf course to save up money for a FJ40 or a CJ5

I was born and raised in Colorado and have always loved the outdoors and just loved the idea of exploring

After about two years of carrying golf bags around for mostly adult babies I saved up about $2200 – This was in 1988

My dad realized I had worked hard and was going to chip in a bit

I looked at every CJ and FJ that popped up in the Denver Post and after about 6 months of dragging my dad everywhere

We came to the conclusion it wasn’t going to happen

The trucks I was looking at under about $3500 had no brakes, no tops, Rust, popped out of gear, barely ran, and just didn’t seem to fit the reliability and safety check – I ended up with a dune beige……………….Honda Accord

I went to college in Grand Junction Colorado where two of my room mates had FJ40’s

One was cherry (See below) one was very rough but equally reliable and fun especially in Grand Junction Colorado

We had a blast all around GJ, Moab, and everything in-between- It filled my FJ fix for the time being

My first FJ40 was in 2004 or so when I found a beat up one for $1400 – It barely ran but was all stock and original – Mostly dents as it was a farm truck from the plains in Colorado

The obsession began

I have had several since then but this isn’t about those

This is about the 77 and maybe giving back to the community as I have learned a lot from Mud

My best friend from collage (who used to have a cherry 79 until he wrapped it around a tree) found this in the POs front yard and told me about it

I bought it and here we go

I’m planning on doing a rolling restore

Trying to get it ready by March for a couple shake down runs then off to Cruise Moab

Also on a bit of a budget as I have a 99 100 series, 84 Westfalia and a BMW X5 – All expensive to keep up and going

My wife and kids love to explore the mountains close to the front range as we live in Golden Colorado (yes about 5 minutes from Slee)

Apparently it was driven as a daily driver for several years and then started making noise so the PO parked it and was about to install a 350 – The PO sourced a 350 put it in the back of the 40 and it sat for several years

The rear springs were shot and had about as much flex as PeeWee Herman does so those need to be replaced

I found a near new set in Denver and will swap those in soon

The engine was shot so I found a great one out of a 86 60 series in Wisconsin Thanks mud member Shes Mad !!!!!

It has rust on the front fenders and quarter panels and the sill is gone so I’m working on replacement panels and a sill

The PO also cut the fenders – I hate that

Everything else is in good shape compared to other 40’s I have had (Except for one HJ47 I sold to CBMontago ugg!!!)

It was sold in Gunnison in 1989 and I believe it was an original Colorado Truck

I plan on getting it as close to stock as possible and running good

I have pulled the original 2F and will be cleaning the undercarriage as much as possible and will be coating it with Master Series Rust paint and primer (great reviews) I wanted something with UV protectant as I have seen some within several years start to fade

I will be replacing plugs, wires, filters, hoses, belts, some gaskets, on the new donor engine and just basically cleaning it up and tuning it up before I pop it in

I found some steelies and will be refinishing them to a stock grey color and will be putting 31x10.5 x15s or possibly 33x10.5x15 (I want this to fit in my garage and I had a previous 74 FJ40 with 33s and it would not fit – This is important)

I’m going to keep it original Mustard Yellow – Once I get the rust cut out and replaced – I will prep and paint the exterior possibly myself

The interior is pretty clean and original- As much as I would love to paint and refinish the interior the floor and bed are really the main parts that need work – I will grind down the surface rust and treat those areas prime and then use a matching tintable mustard bed liner on the bed and floor boards (I’m not 100% on this but this is where I’m leaning as I would like something durable )

Most parts on the interior will be removed sand blasted and painted with a black epoxy paint

I sold the tube bumpers that were on the rear and the front to replace them with the stock bumberettes on the rear and a JToutfitter close to stock winch bumper for the front

So far I have the engine out ready for cleaning

Pictures to come as I go

Thanks and open to feedback!!!!

Some Pictures More to come

77 FJ side .jpg

77 Engine Pull .jpg

thanks looking forward to meeting you and seeing your rig

one question I had was on the hood

is it salvageable
I was thinking of getting the truck media blasted

The hood lots of small rust spots but they actually look like they have etched into the steel

thanks in advance

20161019_090806.jpg

20161029_080236.jpg

Definitely salvageable on that hood. You will need to do a lot of sanding, but that steel is pretty thick, so I am sure you will be able to get to nice metal. Not too bad of a rig to start with.

You're a good man. Doing a rolling restoration on a muchly desired mustard yellow 40 that is in decent condition (more than less.) Right on!

In the later portion of my project I started handing rusty parts off to a local guy who does media blasting. It's a big time saver versus doing everything by hand.

I purchased a dremel with a wand attachment to clean up small parts. They've got all sorts of sanding, polishing and grinding attachments that I've found to come in handy.

Look forward to watching your progress.

Been kind of busy with life work family but still finding some time

I love in Colorado so finding it important to time the work needed to be completed outside with the weather

Focusing on cleaning up the chassis and engine bay

Cleaning the inside of the rig getting it ready

Sourcing parts

Started by cleaning up then engine bay as well as power washing every other part

20161215_155415.jpg

Started cleaning the new to me donor engine

Ordered replacement hoses ROW oil filter belts plus from Beno

It would take bout a weekends worth of work to have it down to a bare frame. Then u could have the frame blasted and it would be easy to paint. Or in North Denver their is a company that does galvanizing. To have it acid dipped their and galvanized would probably cost as much as having the frame sand blasted. I think it's like 500 bucks.

It would take bout a weekends worth of work to have it down to a bare frame. Then u could have the frame blasted and it would be easy to paint. Or in North Denver their is a company that does galvanizing. To have it acid dipped their and galvanized would probably cost as much as having the frame sand blasted. I think it's like 500 bucks.

The frame is really in great shape
I agree with what your saying but I have read too many posts titled "x year build project "
I need to keep motivated and get running

Trying to get it going for cruise moab

Your 40 is cheering for finding someone to care for it. After a 2 year build, mine is a dream and I know you will get a ton of ebjoyment from it. Keep the photos coming. We all enjoy a good love story!

If the frame is galvanized are there any complications or considerations in then painting it? Are some paints not compatible with galvanized metal?

If the frame is galvanized are there any complications or considerations in then painting it? Are some paints not compatible with galvanized metal?
The galvanizing leaves a very smooth surface, paint usually needs a surface sanded with 600 grit sandpaper so it will stick. Their is a fair amount of info on the net on how to get paint to stick to galvanizing. Or u can just leave the bare galvanized finish. Galvanizing the frame typically increases the value of the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom