Builds Colonel Mustard Revival (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Body is off, Motor Transmission, and T case are out, the fun continues.

Pretty easy removing the body this way, needed a neighbor to lift up the back end, and then just lifted the body up and over, and off the frame. The only thing that was forgotten was the speedo cable.

rXb1W5SlyHzYaUb2yvlGxugMUbp4OxqUIn7gT630jaamB6SUIjWAkQpbIWT1lEpV3oVe4MmG77Hbqk7qGMRPoDv-m1g9yqcoMLzMSEHZZ4xGqgelmhtBRm05ErdvgzVr7sBq3yfeLZeiK5TyrDs0ULA

Ywfb7RkT-v6xmofs9ytI_DcKoxSC3SPbStIunkuUkLfihnpmgRtHuDzkQORCEOBR3vVBXYOyZ6IJ3lse5ssayDk66q2AdttAalF6jjiDH9gF4YQzQz_iNHr6USAs1dcqMv_UNF4iw_k2Vd_UxcAtZFw

Today I spent the time pulling off the core support and the motor and transmission. No major surprises here, it's quite easy pulling a motor when you don't have to crawl under it. As mentioned in the last post, there are some issues with the frame, looks like a few spots have some bad rust I'll need to fix, but overall, it's in better shape than I thought, for a Minnesota frame. Turns out if you use an engine hoist, and get the back end of the truck up in the air, you can use a power washer to get all the rust debris out of the frame, working pretty well.

I think I'll also post up the motor and transmission for sale, it will be years before I get to a 40 project. I'll be keeping the transfer case, everything else can go. If you are interested let me know, if not, that's cool too, I'll put it up in the classifieds when I get to it. Essentially, it's a super good running and nice shifting transmission (4 speed). I've been daily driving it in the summers since 2016 with no issues, there is about 200k on it, seems like it was well maintained, i only put about 13k on it while i had it. Rebuild it, refresh it, or just run it as is. I've had the oil pan off, and put in a new oil pump, and it looked super good. Also when I did a valve adjustment it was super clean (I have a picture). I also did a rear main seal, and a new clutch a few years back. I did some borescope pics of the cylinders, they look good too, a few score marks from the cylinders, but really you can still see cross hatching.

GIATLTBvFJl7qrfzxHbeJcl-O0l971VZp_p4sd4-mYGGwoA4KVMwGq1R5o1ITJeyKGwCSkt2NY9h4LI2EPfxYgOe2gzYVpQB18-595o_5uhXZG1hOVKRwv1OfxPOLOENaBM6mv2QBXcep_genKKySdyqx2Wy9pmcN8H2U6K3lBwQ4M20CnAH1fVN8w

7wu2F-Qt_L7pRVmQDKshz403ApXBoFG0IMJMAIBJIt4eQ0Rg1kXxnkInKDsFeR6ZJJIUamh-csHP0cdlrpmleTLhXhwtahaE_WIpbdUxB8LegEtpW7kinJv4JB7WgAmk6nWH5XOYFlnTVtfVZFP-m5s

Hopefully the next post will be rust repair on the body, and hopefully I'll have the frame sandblasted soon. Only 33 more days till the house remodel project starts, where ill be offline for about 4 months.

Thanks for the feedback!
How did you get the body off? On mine I have everything disconnected and had my cherry picker inside with chains to bolts. But when I lift it I can't drive the chassis out cuz it'll run into the cherry picker legs.

How did you get the body off? On mine I have everything disconnected and had my cherry picker inside with chains to bolts. But when I lift it I can't drive the chassis out cuz it'll run into the cherry picker legs.
Just lifted it super high, had a buddy lift the back. Then pushed the picker all the way over to the other side of the garage. Then I wheeled the frame out and put the body on jack stands. At least for now.

That’s super nice! I have some interestingness with my next post, I will be cutting out 3/4 of the inner c-channel and welding in new metal to make it all work. Also using a pressure washer sand blaster to clean up the frame.
1C441C0C-4464-4F86-9030-7B86C0C77004.jpeg

That’s super nice! I have some interestingness with my next post, I will be cutting out 3/4 of the inner c-channel and welding in new metal to make it all work. Also using a pressure washer sand blaster to clean up the frame. View attachment 3104916
Trevor,

Are you doing this today, real time? My exhaust is off, now I'm working on pulling the motor. Is this a race? Lol

16622267337718880958583904119108.jpg

Yeah… we may just be racing… although with all my rust issues. And a house I still have to remodel. I’m sure you will win. Either way. Super cool to see another body off LS swap going here.

Here is where I finished off today. Made a stand for the body that the frame can roll under to save space. It also puts most of the body rust at a more comfortable level to work on. This will also allow me to work under it comfortably.

I need a bigger shop, and a lift. Hopefully I can make that work at the next house. That will be for the fj40 project.

DBB3F75F-1822-4D01-BA33-3D15EFA2951A.jpeg

FDD2169D-42BD-4666-B2D4-DE67681DD141.jpeg

AD6711B8-6259-47E7-B690-7A967131C0BD.jpeg

Yeah… we may just be racing… although with all my rust issues. And a house I still have to remodel. I’m sure you will win. Either way. Super cool to see another body off LS swap going here.

Here is where I finished off today. Made a stand for the body that the frame can roll under to save space. It also puts most of the body rust at a more comfortable level to work on. This will also allow me to work under it comfortably.

I need a bigger shop, and a lift. Hopefully I can make that work at the next house. That will be for the fj40 project.

View attachment 3105359

View attachment 3105360

View attachment 3105361
Your way ahead of me. I got rained out for part of the day. Are you thinking of changing the color. My goal is to get out back together to drive, then next year body work.
16622577249107977525252944671714.jpg

Need a favor,

Can someone with actual sheet metal here (front of rear wheel well arch) post or send a few photos so I can reference it when I re construct it? The other side is not much better.

Even better would be with a few measurements.

What would be even more amazing is if someone has a rig in the western twin cities that I could take a look at.

This seems ridiculous, but I’m up for the challenge.

Thank you!

D679A187-7B0A-4B81-B461-F31AC9F496A1.jpeg

Need a favor,

Can someone with actual sheet metal here (front of rear wheel well arch) post or send a few photos so I can reference it when I re construct it? The other side is not much better.

Even better would be with a few measurements.

What would be even more amazing is if someone has a rig in the western twin cities that I could take a look at.

This seems ridiculous, but I’m up for the challenge.

Thank you!

View attachment 3108934
I'll try to send one in the morning.

The rust is bad…. really really bad….

Well, my home remodel project is done for a few weeks, I still have a kitchen backsplash to do, but it can wait. Metal work is more fun than housework. I did do some work on the frame, but that can wait until another update. For now, I was sick of only cutting things and wanted to actually put stuff back together. The rust is so bad, in fact, I'm willing to bet a beer no one has attempted to “restore” a 60 this rusty. if so, we should talk, I put the restoration in quotes as this won't be perfect, it will look good, but it's not going to be a high end restoration, take that for what it's worth. A body in better shape is not in the budget, so here we are. I wish I would have taken a few more photos to document before I started cutting but next thing you know, large chunks of the truck were gone. I was only able to save about a 10 inch section of the inside rocker. Most of the floor next to the rocker was bad, it's just bad… really bad, the wheel well(s) had to come out as well. Here are a few photos of what we are up against. lots of spot weld drilling

p4oqD-mLX2jgZ7rzLEoCCEsqVN9ilDivLfizfB7m3yoSiXlTq2RsnWg1gn-FotVlTW7LKfw1pE4AzucYJ9xbF9txKO0Nk9gee1wTjaWh9oNBiOG9iZUmX7-446jzIi_KEbrzcD25nzHzrURhh__Lgz0gIrfi8eJ8prbuqxiIpiOWJR6HrimP1uqZEsUkJw

rear seat mount has seen better days... i did not realize how bad it was.

j8t_eHTTo3Vsb4FdQW0BCjaXnH8Q0GWj3QVJlJtqS7OD47JPQxZZxHCKuJ8Pi1nj2coVMqfyPeXUpq_1Lf_9mIGTC-7YqxAhH-mjiWx3O-u-D0Oj4mW0TdCfmLSHC-u4bfFOe2FKO2QsfjPCvpHG0FHeTksLobZRvK7pqZjiSbQkieVFBQJI5CvD3c1FUw

Already did some work on the inner wheel well as you can see in the upper right, lots of spot welds to drill out, both wheel wells will need a lot of new metal.

MtCTxcAAWZpWqXTeCFxx45cOV0usUDtvc498OGoI3xydAVB6lH0TVsfX0j8w-JpgfCGH_vublMKpvnHqzXZqIR6EHvBJepI99F5me0YxHoIS5iBe-mFlH5iXcKT6gWR5abEy-6vJG6Q5yUFh9NdEIzuGnlTv9OxVR4EIBmduzPUGGqbD5qQD0M32WcXBTQ

You can see the inner rear door area here, mostly gone, this will be a pain to recreate later on.
Ul5X-PM8eZ7RqocrYcXhIjU2-UT4_d0nixZPd5GazmbHwjkNSmRUzP1OS9V9lUZN3yrEc20DAck0URnOn8XAOWyWaXQrzWrgvurYN1aXIixQfhzh68oLDtup_Pb3BvltslVo5M6tMWqdbUjcmfRpeNVWsRvFNOugxYrzyS7cjgnY2NjQWrY26VCY03sJCw

This is about the best photo I have of the extent of the rust that we are tackling so far, as you can see the rockers are mostly gone, as is the small flat part of the floor next to it. This was a good reason to buy a sheet metal brake, as I needed to re-create the inside rocker.

Now to start putting things back together. The driver's side is in better shape than the passenger side, so i was able to make cardboard patterns, then flip them over and use them to make parts for the other side.

OxNj9H_-i8wXqSFpPpuxbRckHzhZq-qQ-DgNxKaPmua53j_FdGDVROmtWxFD773YxDp50Mrpe6Q7mXY4sf8FerSsFlmw7ohiP7vO5SNegO9vY9SztwO2078uYzKeYmM4ZTWXm5RCJy3hcdleFTwN6TvL0RwM-5ec0HHeGTGXVZueyfo2sbMSneYMge84BA

Ill need to continue to cutting rust out the left on this one but focusing on the rockers and wheel wells for now. Trying to stay stockish looking here, so I re-created the panels as best I could with limited tools.

Now for the rockers, i used a break to recreate the inner rocker, yes, I realize I didn't put the indents in, this will be close enough. the dent in the front is actually a joggle that is there, if you look close on the front of yours, the way it all ties together is goofy, but its how it looks,

QxXGvvOXnhye5usDUmmYGT-Ey_FeTzKN2w9biUPkdxf3AsMa0I2xo5SmQ1J_l9aJxWh8bcgy2MbNN9Ov4xu40e7gJBWON2nLSmosIUGyHdKYOthdcZEsz2rGnBIDT06SJlbJKJmnw4xRriA7gjviNHZqN6yiWWWbCHad5cVKzQDJWgE3Fq-4nvx0YX0RGg

I put both doors back on to check the fit, these are the Wolf Steel rockers, they fit up pretty well, only minor modifications needed, the top was not quite at a 90 degree angle, I bought these 6ish years ago, about time I get to install them. Lots of work still on either end for the wheel well area and the front, where the font quarter interacts, that I will show in a later post.

Qz1WxP0jyWM0aWu04tEFv1KJjcLKOhyu6zkh8FNK8fr19z12Y6N_S89DyrKyfnysK25Qp2jCrzqJWshfyIpdwKUos_b22g7ObFCgcpl7Ls6W9rfOFBX-KcyXefGbhlswzMU7QdJ7TwR2XZpqqwgTnYY-3ZeOe-gsT41oJekTQCofEhPpDTUe__aqgCtRBA

Next up was the inner rear door seal area, in my previous post, it showed what was left, which was not much. I had to re-create some panels from the other side. Hard to explain how this worked, but it was a lot of cutting, welding, grinding, and repeating at least 8 times. The result looks pretty darn good I think, after some bondo and paint, no one will know, unless you read this post.

ODUO1YGRvs5FWlgEVPnaFd3R0_njYgOwXo9DGSq71xV-GoJpvrimU79nnnSkf2DACeNkZRbAQiKIw_W5emXyMDzykTtbZliI1KA8R6deZz2XwwMJsP9Y--5RhtfscHkQ3NG7-vkOC5-LyhVsF-9BfK3aoyoFpwmiKSejoZ8katnNVbUxFfyt4AXOSI2sYQ

1L2cVOGThkW4u_0f3f3WHO7ApQq8araLB7Jt1rBHE4VCpA_fAYYlvq9gh8hprhHPubOLh9xjTjxC2jDW-SZmxOOV-u08ghWMlqkgONWl8SoWcaVueyUMwdKIOUpA081ExPvI5HtFAbabSMMr730jjVJJo4u73EA3WMGhWlPHitkk6L3Ep8K4Naq7OivfRA

Next up is to get the wheel wells back in, and then continue to the back of the vehicle, should be fun. If there are any questions, or feedback let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

Well, my home remodel project is done for a few weeks, I still have a kitchen backsplash to do, but it can wait. Metal work is more fun than housework. I did do some work on the frame, but that can wait until another update. For now, I was sick of only cutting things and wanted to actually put stuff back together. The rust is so bad, in fact, I'm willing to bet a beer no one has attempted to “restore” a 60 this rusty. if so, we should talk, I put the restoration in quotes as this won't be perfect, it will look good, but it's not going to be a high end restoration, take that for what it's worth. A body in better shape is not in the budget, so here we are. I wish I would have taken a few more photos to document before I started cutting but next thing you know, large chunks of the truck were gone. I was only able to save about a 10 inch section of the inside rocker. Most of the floor next to the rocker was bad, it's just bad… really bad, the wheel well(s) had to come out as well. Here are a few photos of what we are up against. lots of spot weld drilling

p4oqD-mLX2jgZ7rzLEoCCEsqVN9ilDivLfizfB7m3yoSiXlTq2RsnWg1gn-FotVlTW7LKfw1pE4AzucYJ9xbF9txKO0Nk9gee1wTjaWh9oNBiOG9iZUmX7-446jzIi_KEbrzcD25nzHzrURhh__Lgz0gIrfi8eJ8prbuqxiIpiOWJR6HrimP1uqZEsUkJw

j8t_eHTTo3Vsb4FdQW0BCjaXnH8Q0GWj3QVJlJtqS7OD47JPQxZZxHCKuJ8Pi1nj2coVMqfyPeXUpq_1Lf_9mIGTC-7YqxAhH-mjiWx3O-u-D0Oj4mW0TdCfmLSHC-u4bfFOe2FKO2QsfjPCvpHG0FHeTksLobZRvK7pqZjiSbQkieVFBQJI5CvD3c1FUw

Already did some work on the inner wheel well as you can see in the upper right, lots of spot welds to drill out, both wheel wells will need a lot of new metal.

MtCTxcAAWZpWqXTeCFxx45cOV0usUDtvc498OGoI3xydAVB6lH0TVsfX0j8w-JpgfCGH_vublMKpvnHqzXZqIR6EHvBJepI99F5me0YxHoIS5iBe-mFlH5iXcKT6gWR5abEy-6vJG6Q5yUFh9NdEIzuGnlTv9OxVR4EIBmduzPUGGqbD5qQD0M32WcXBTQ

You can see the inner rear door area here, mostly gone, this will be a pain to recreate later on.
Ul5X-PM8eZ7RqocrYcXhIjU2-UT4_d0nixZPd5GazmbHwjkNSmRUzP1OS9V9lUZN3yrEc20DAck0URnOn8XAOWyWaXQrzWrgvurYN1aXIixQfhzh68oLDtup_Pb3BvltslVo5M6tMWqdbUjcmfRpeNVWsRvFNOugxYrzyS7cjgnY2NjQWrY26VCY03sJCw

This is about the best photo I have of the extent of the rust that we are tackling so far, as you can see the rockers are mostly gone, as is the small flat part of the floor next to it. This was a good reason to buy a sheet metal brake, as I needed to re-create the inside rocker.

Now to start putting things back together. The driver's side is in better shape than the passenger side, so i was able to make cardboard patterns, then flip them over and use them to make parts for the other side.

OxNj9H_-i8wXqSFpPpuxbRckHzhZq-qQ-DgNxKaPmua53j_FdGDVROmtWxFD773YxDp50Mrpe6Q7mXY4sf8FerSsFlmw7ohiP7vO5SNegO9vY9SztwO2078uYzKeYmM4ZTWXm5RCJy3hcdleFTwN6TvL0RwM-5ec0HHeGTGXVZueyfo2sbMSneYMge84BA

Ill need to continue to cutting rust out the left on this one but focusing on the rockers and wheel wells for now. Trying to stay stockish looking here, so I re-created the panels as best I could with limited tools.

Now for the rockers, i used a break to recreate the inner rocker, yes, I realize I didn't put the indents in, this will be close enough. the dent in the front is actually a joggle that is there, if you look close on the front of yours, the way it all ties together is goofy, but its how it looks,

QxXGvvOXnhye5usDUmmYGT-Ey_FeTzKN2w9biUPkdxf3AsMa0I2xo5SmQ1J_l9aJxWh8bcgy2MbNN9Ov4xu40e7gJBWON2nLSmosIUGyHdKYOthdcZEsz2rGnBIDT06SJlbJKJmnw4xRriA7gjviNHZqN6yiWWWbCHad5cVKzQDJWgE3Fq-4nvx0YX0RGg

I put both doors back on to check the fit, these are the Wolf Steel rockers, they fit up pretty well, only minor modifications needed, the top was not quite at a 90 degree angle, I bought these 6ish years ago, about time I get to install them. Lots of work still on either end for the wheel well area and the front, where the font quarter interacts, that I will show in a later post.

Qz1WxP0jyWM0aWu04tEFv1KJjcLKOhyu6zkh8FNK8fr19z12Y6N_S89DyrKyfnysK25Qp2jCrzqJWshfyIpdwKUos_b22g7ObFCgcpl7Ls6W9rfOFBX-KcyXefGbhlswzMU7QdJ7TwR2XZpqqwgTnYY-3ZeOe-gsT41oJekTQCofEhPpDTUe__aqgCtRBA

Next up was the inner rear door seal area, in my previous post, it showed what was left, which was not much. I had to re-create some panels from the other side. Hard to explain how this worked, but it was a lot of cutting, welding, grinding, and repeating at least 8 times. The result looks pretty darn good I think, after some bondo and paint, no one will know, unless you read this post.

ODUO1YGRvs5FWlgEVPnaFd3R0_njYgOwXo9DGSq71xV-GoJpvrimU79nnnSkf2DACeNkZRbAQiKIw_W5emXyMDzykTtbZliI1KA8R6deZz2XwwMJsP9Y--5RhtfscHkQ3NG7-vkOC5-LyhVsF-9BfK3aoyoFpwmiKSejoZ8katnNVbUxFfyt4AXOSI2sYQ

1L2cVOGThkW4u_0f3f3WHO7ApQq8araLB7Jt1rBHE4VCpA_fAYYlvq9gh8hprhHPubOLh9xjTjxC2jDW-SZmxOOV-u08ghWMlqkgONWl8SoWcaVueyUMwdKIOUpA081ExPvI5HtFAbabSMMr730jjVJJo4u73EA3WMGhWlPHitkk6L3Ep8K4Naq7OivfRA

Next up is to get the wheel wells back in, and then continue to the back of the vehicle, should be fun. If there are any questions, or feedback let me know.

Thank you,

Chris

Amazing work and nerve! I know going in this deep on a beloved vehicle would be intimidating for most of us (me included :)), so I really admire your patience, perseverance, and courage. I wonder if you have seen these videos on Youtube of someone who did similar work on their BJ60? I thought I would post them here for you and others to inspire as to the possibilities of what can be achieved:

Stripping off the lower right side of the #landcruiser #bj60 #fj60 Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8fwLWxdjc

Stripping off the lower right side of the #landcruiser #bj60 #fj60 Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVxWq3qbZo

Keep at it!

Thank you,

Chris
Chris, this is amazing work and very inspiring. You’re the first I’ve seen that’s gone this deep into a roof and the rest of this work down low is just as good. Really enjoying the detailed documentation you’re providing. Thank you for doing this so we can follow along and learn as well. Jimmy

Amazing work and nerve! I know going in this deep on a beloved vehicle would be intimidating for most of us (me included :)), so I really admire your patience, perseverance, and courage. I wonder if you have seen these videos on Youtube of someone who did similar work on their BJ60? I thought I would post them here for you and others to inspire as to the possibilities of what can be achieved:

Stripping off the lower right side of the #landcruiser #bj60 #fj60 Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL8fwLWxdjc

Stripping off the lower right side of the #landcruiser #bj60 #fj60 Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVxWq3qbZo

Excellent videos and awesome to learn so many tips from others. Appreciate you plugging these into Chris’s thread.

Not a huge update today. Not as many hours as what I’ve been able to do recently. I also took a break to work on the 80 a bit and put a new bumper and winch on.

The rear body mount on the drivers side is completely shot. Decided the easy way to get to it is to pull the rear floor. Instead of just getting the grinder out, figured it would be better the pull the floor by playing hide the spot welds again. I did drill several cleco holes for alignment in the future. So after even more spot welds here we are. Not quite to the body mount but getting close. I’m quite surprised how good the floor supports look, some minor sanding and paint and we should be good. A more detailed write up will be coming soon I suppose.

C03AE7D5-8B7A-4A11-AF1A-86A33A153AE8.jpeg
254EC347-6B4F-4AE6-AAE7-5E7DB038AEC9.jpeg
1CB09FDD-5D2F-4CED-B5EE-737F78588D76.jpeg

Awesome! This is a huge project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom