Cold Start Video Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If its cold you should turn the key to glow it 2-3 times before hitting the starter. And turn up the fast idle. If you start it after each glow, a lot of the heat in the combustion chamber goes out with the exhaust
Its kinder on the battery and starter if it only cranks the engine once.

You have a low oil cut off sensor I think. It may be part of the problem even if you have enough oil.

If its cold you should turn the key to glow it 2-3 times before hitting the starter. And turn up the fast idle. If you start it after each glow, a lot of the heat in the combustion chamber goes out with the exhaust

You have a low oil cut off sensor I think. It may be part of the problem even if you have enough oil.

My previous video in post #40 shows unusually poor starting behavior in 11°C/56°F climate. This vehicle's starting system does not require 2-3 times glow with those temperatures.

Below is a video of the 24V BJ75 with a functioning superglow system. This system has 14v glow plugs that receive 24v of current for a few seconds, after which the glow timer then feeds the plugs 14volts.

This video shows the 3B getting two glows, then starting instantly, with no smoke or misfires. This is exactly how the glow system is supposed to function. And, mind you, the ambient temperature is -7°C/17°F, which is significantly cold than the video in post #40.

Trying to start with 2 bad glow plugs:

Firstly I would replace those bad glow plugs ! Also when Cold Starting glow it 3-4 times allowing about 5 seconds betwen glow cycles.
Also as these motors are not fuel injected allow the motor to idle without reving it up ! This allows the oil pressure to build, reving it will increase the rpm's without oil ! These motors need some time before sticking it in gear and going !
If I'm wrong on this or anyone has additional knowledge please chime in !

Be careful priming the glow plugs several time. Unless it was a odd instance...another member on here reported losing the tips of his glow plugs after doing that.

Be careful priming the glow plugs several time. Unless it was a odd instance...another member on here reported losing the tips of his glow plugs after doing that.

That was something wrong with the wiring. I dont think the glowplugs can be over glowed with the OEM timer in place. Mine glow for a shorter period each time you glow them.

When I bought my truck the previous owners had over glowed (even with super glow system) to the point that the ends of the glow plugs bulged. A couple were burn out too. When I went to replace them all, one tip broke off in the cylinder head. I had to make special tooling to drill and extract it. Based on that experience, I highly recommend not glowing for more than about 15sec at a time. Let the system cool down for a while before trying again.

That said, if you have to cycle the glow system 2-3 times, there are probably other issues. I've found with my healthy 2LTE a single 7 sec glow gives a perfect and clean start as cold as it gets here (-6C so far this winter). Engine has good compression and the injection/glow systems have been well maintained. I had a 2LT-II that started really easy too.

When I bought my truck the previous owners had over glowed (even with super glow system) to the point that the ends of the glow plugs bulged. A couple were burn out too. When I went to replace them all, one tip broke off in the cylinder head. I had to make special tooling to drill and extract it. Based on that experience, I highly recommend not glowing for more than about 15sec at a time. Let the system cool down for a while before trying again.

That said, if you have to cycle the glow system 2-3 times, there are probably other issues. I've found with my healthy 2LTE a single 7 sec glow gives a perfect and clean start as cold as it gets here (-6C so far this winter). Engine has good compression and the injection/glow systems have been well maintained. I had a 2LT-II that started really easy too.

How are you sure that overglowing caused the ends of the plugs to bulge? Is that a known outcome of overglowing?

How are you sure that overglowing caused the ends of the plugs to bulge? Is that a known outcome of overglowing?

I never really thought of that, although I really can't see anything else causing the problem. I do know for sure the previous owners were over glowing the crap out of it (engine had all sorts of issues when I bought it) to get it to start.

I have heated glow plugs out of the engine before, and it is nuts how hot they get in just a couple of seconds. I could see the ends de-forming if they were on too long. I'm not the only one who has had bulged glow plugs stuck in a cylinder head either....

I thought I would update my most recent cold start video. This is about one year from my last video. The conditions have changed considerably considering I am no long in Colorado at about 8900ft and I am now in NY at about 700ft. :lol:

In any event, the engine specifications have not changed. There is about 20K more KM's on the ticker of this engine. Most of it with a Garret GT2056. I'm coming to realize there are better turbo options for a 3B, but nonetheless, this sucker continues to tick along so I do try to kill it every day. :lol:

Conditions: About 7 days of no driving. About 15 degrees outside. Running straight 30 weight dino oil. I generally throw in about 1 quart of ATF with every fill up of my gas tank. Hand throttle about 50% engaged. 2 cycles of the glow system. Glow plugs about 2 years old and my factory glow system works very well.

I generally let it run for about 5 minutes at this RPM and then reduce to normal idle of about 650rpm. Then I crack a beer, light a stogie and hit the road to do my errands.

And my BJ70 obliges me. And that's all I ask it to do.... I think... At least most of the time....

Last edited:
My LJ78 starting cold with single oem glow (about 8seconds) in -2C (28f) (Ignore the idler bearing rattle from my engine. Fixed that the following weekend.) Motor always starts like that no matter what the temperature. Although I've only started it down to about -15C (5F) in the last few years.

Last edited:
My LJ78 starting cold with single oem glow (about 8seconds) in -2C (28f) (Ignore the idler bearing rattle from my engine. Fixed that the following weekend.) Motor always starts like that no matter what the temperature. Although I've only started it down to about -15C (5F) in the last few years.

very easy and smooth start.

Bump. November 2019. 22 degrees F outside. 4 days no driving. 500ft. Above sea level. Cold and dry out side.

Nice license plate!

Since most everyone in North America is well below average temps right now I thought it would be good for people to post up videos of their diesels starting in cold weather. May help a few see what normal or bad is. Mid twenties here this morning in Austin and it doesn't get much lower than that on average so I took the opportunity to shoot some video of both diesels starting up.

Hey Mr. Cimarron, off topic but what wheels/tire size are those on your 77 FJ40? Those look sweet.

Hey Mr. Cimarron, off topic but what wheels/tire size are those on your 77 FJ40? Those look sweet.
Stock 70 series wheel with 255/85 BFG mud terrains.

Stock 70 series wheel with 255/85 BFG mud terrains.
Awesome, much appreciate it! I called my local dealer today to ask and funnily enough he says "I thought I'd never sell these, been sitting on the shelf for years, how about $60 each (Canadian) and I have 4".....sometimes luck strikes! We have a lot of mining 70 series around here so sometimes parts are available used. I assume you're using regular acorn nuts and no spacers?

Awesome, much appreciate it! I called my local dealer today to ask and funnily enough he says "I thought I'd never sell these, been sitting on the shelf for years, how about $60 each (Canadian) and I have 4".....sometimes luck strikes! We have a lot of mining 70 series around here so sometimes parts are available used. I assume you're using regular acorn nuts and no spacers?
That’s a great price. No spacers. Not a fan of acorn nuts but they will work if they are the proper ones. You can source regular nuts from Toyota. I think they look a bit better.

-4 c. Glow screen been disconnected for years. Batteries about 5 yrs old. No pedal.
Smoke soon clears once there is some heat in the motor.

Vid a bit rushed. Busy road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom