Cold Start Video Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have run inline heaters and was thinking of adding one. I always plugin when I can. With other 3b engines I've had it will shut down as no oil pressure,(5 seconds). So I used to spin it over for a few seconds before I glowed it and started it. What is the best placement for an inline heater?

I have run inline heaters and was thinking of adding one. I always plugin when I can. With other 3b engines I've had it will shut down as no oil pressure,(5 seconds). So I used to spin it over for a few seconds before I glowed it and started it. What is the best placement for an inline heater?
Lower Rad Hose

From last year- only a few degrees below freezing...

Trying to start with 2 bad glow plugs:

After changing to new Glow Plugs:

After changing to new Glow Plugs:

That’s a perfect example of what this thread is about. Nice job.
I’m jealous of your glow controller. Mine is for a HJ and doesn’t glow and I can’t seem to find the right gauge of wire to replace. It’s glows fine just no indicator.

I thought my controller didn't work either, it had never worked until I replaced the plugs. I thought the "light" was out, as the rig started well when I used the system... now I know better. I must have had one bad glow plug, which was not a big problem starting the engine, but wouldn't glow the controller, and then had two bad plugs which made starting very difficult. Make sure you have the right ones, and even then, different brands may not work. Check Lost Marbles thread all about glow plugs, great resource!

Last edited:
Well, it really doesn't get very cold where I live, so this is the best I can contribute. Not my LJ78 obviously. This is a Hilux Surf I bought recently (with the mechanical injection 2LT-II and R151F). Bought it to boot around in while I give my LJ78 some TLC this winter. This is a single glow cycle (8 seconds) in -2C (28.5F) weather. Truck will actually start in this weather with no glow at all, but a bit more smoke.

""Cold" start after 3 days of inactivity at 32c Before that it had sat for 3 weeks and the battery was about 90%

This is a Hilux Surf I bought recently (with the mechanical injection 2LT-II and R151F)

How do you find it compared to the landcruisers? They seem to be a little better equipped interior wise, but I guess both could be optioned to a high standard new. I suspect the landcruiser door would be bigger as well.
I considered buying a Surf with 1KZ T in it recently, soccer mums car with lowish klms for age.

this is my truck starting in 10 degrees f.
2nd glow attempt and it starts right up

How do you find it compared to the landcruisers? They seem to be a little better equipped interior wise, but I guess both could be optioned to a high standard new. I suspect the landcruiser door would be bigger as well.
I considered buying a Surf with 1KZ T in it recently, soccer mums car with lowish klms for age.

Honesty I MUCH prefer my LJ78. The Surf is a totally different creature. I always found the 4runner/Surf to be more like a car body sitting on a frame. The landcruiser feels much more like a truck all around. Even though I'm only 5'10" tall the Surf feels tight. I have to sort of slide into it rather than climb into it. Has taken some getting used to. Way less head room inside. I dislike the rear electric window tail gate system compared to the 70 series ambulance doors. I don't like the clearance underneath with the different t-case and mid mount fuel tank. I don't think the interior is any better. My LJ78 has all the same options. Honestly, I even prefer the A343F of the LJ78 over the R151F for nearly everything. The only things I like about the Surf, are the mechanical injection system of the 2LT-II. I can't wait to get my LJ78 back on the road at this point. Landcruisers (even the light duty) are just so different than the 4Runner/Surf. Everything is bigger and tougher built in the Landcruiser.

Edit: One more thing I meant to include. The visibility in the 70 series is much better. Also, I feel more connected to the road/terrain in the 70 series. The Surf isolates the experience a bit. 4x4ing in the 70 series would always be preferable.

Last edited:
Honesty I MUCH prefer my LJ78. The Surf is a totally different creature. I always found the 4runner/Surf to be more like a car body sitting on a frame. The landcruiser feels much more like a truck all around. Even though I'm only 5'10" tall the Surf feels tight. I have to sort of slide into it rather than climb into it. Has taken some getting used to. Way less head room inside. I dislike the rear electric window tail gate system compared to the 70 series ambulance doors. I don't like the clearance underneath with the different t-case and mid mount fuel tank. I don't think the interior is any better. My LJ78 has all the same options. Honestly, I even prefer the A343F of the LJ78 over the R151F for nearly everything. The only things I like about the Surf, are the mechanical injection system of the 2LT-II. I can't wait to get my LJ78 back on the road at this point. Landcruisers (even the light duty) are just so different than the 4Runner/Surf. Everything is bigger and tougher built in the Landcruiser.

Edit: One more thing I meant to include. The visibility in the 70 series is much better. Also, I feel more connected to the road/terrain in the 70 series. The Surf isolates the experience a bit. 4x4ing in the 70 series would always be preferable.
I am wondering why you bought it after reading your review. It’s pretty spot on from the few people I know that owned older 4runners.

I am wondering why you bought it after reading your review. It’s pretty spot on from the few people I know that owned older 4runners.

Cause it was $2000, showed up at the right time, and is getting me around while I fix my cruiser. I'd still rather have it than most vehicles on the road... Just doesnt compare to a cruiser is all.

Cause it was $2000, showed up at the right time, and is getting me around while I fix my cruiser. I'd still rather have it than most vehicles on the road... Just doesnt compare to a cruiser is all.
Even my wife newer 4Runner is like getting in a car. Visibility has nothing on an 80 and like you said a Land Cruiser feels like sitting in a truck.

I had a 4Runner and it felt and drove like a car.

Actually, I intended using it mainly as a car. My main concern was headroom and ease of access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom