Cold Start Video Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mr Cimarron

DRIVE, BREAK, FIX, REPEAT
SILVER Star
Threads
Since most everyone in North America is well below average temps right now I thought it would be good for people to post up videos of their diesels starting in cold weather. May help a few see what normal or bad is. Mid twenties here this morning in Austin and it doesn't get much lower than that on average so I took the opportunity to shoot some video of both diesels starting up.

Here is mine after sitting in my garage for the last 6 weeks+ The average temp insdie the garage is -10c.

Here is mine after sitting in my garage for the last 6 weeks+ The average temp insdie the garage is -10c.

Really nice. At first I was thinking you were cheating by not showing the rear but then realized your exhaust exits in front of rear tire.

Haha yes its basically straight piped. Sone to be muffled when the turbo install goes down soon. Just a slight blue haze thats it. 3 cylces of the super glow system

Haha yes its basically straight piped. Sone to be muffled when the turbo install goes down soon. Just a slight blue haze thats it. 3 cylces of the super glow system
You probably will not need a muffler if you turbo it. I don't run a muffler and it exits in front of the rear tire like yours, but on the other side. Oh, wait, maybe you are saying it will be quiter once you turbo it?

I know oil is blue , too much diesel is black , and un burnt diesel is white , but is it true cold diesel also gives off a blueish smoke ?
Mine 15b is much the same as the cummins in the first vid but has no starting aids at all... (no ACSD or Glow Screen )

Yah my duramax will give slight blue haze and has since it was a year old its now 12 haha

You probably will not need a muffler if you turbo it. I don't run a muffler and it exits in front of the rear tire like yours, but on the other side. Oh, wait, maybe you are saying it will be quiter once you turbo it?

Yes i have a aeroturbine going in under passenger floor. Sticking with side exit

I sold my bj62 just the other day but had this on the hit list to install. It currently runs a manual glow but my wife hated the button and could never seem to get the hang of it. I don't have anything good to say about that but.....I always wanted to install one of these.

Glow Plug timer 12/24V *FREE SHIPPING*

Variable constant glow cycle, 1-20 secs, followed up with a variable intermittent after glow cycle 1-20 seconds.

I know oil is blue , too much diesel is black , and un burnt diesel is white , but is it true cold diesel also gives off a blueish smoke ?

A bit of oil could be leaking down the valve guide seals. If it clears straight away I wouldn't be too bothered. 2H engines usually have a bit of blue smoke at idle even after a rebuild.

I sold my bj62 just the other day but had this on the hit list to install. It currently runs a manual glow but my wife hated the button and could never seem to get the hang of it. I don't have anything good to say about that but.....I always wanted to install one of these.

Glow Plug timer 12/24V *FREE SHIPPING*

Variable constant glow cycle, 1-20 secs, followed up with a variable intermittent after glow cycle 1-20 seconds.
My wife doesn’t do it right either. My Dakota Digital dash has an input for a glow light. That kind of timer is on my list as well.

Heres a comparison.... This is my 1pz , its done over 350,000 km ... 1 glow cycle and i turned the rpm up abit just after start up ..It gets serviced about every 8000 km and spends over half its life towing loads around 800kg

Woody if you see an ip adress from den hague, the netherlands please block it, them politicians will use this to ban diesel even more.

-24c not plugged in cold start. Double glow in the plugs then crank and immediate start up. Enough white smoke to stop traffic!! Doesn't lose any coolant which is fresh and looks like new. Oil not contaminated at all no foam etc. as this is our first winter with this Cruiser I have no comparison but now it has an intercooled turbo on the 3b. Could the smoke be caused by improper f a ratio? Once warmed to running temp ie. gauge moves smoke decreases then quits. Makes no black smoke at all even under full boost(only8-9lbs.)turbo tuning? Anytime a head gasket is bad you often see white steam at these temps in Winterpeg. Any opinions on this situation? Sorry no video to share snap doesn't do it justice

image.jpg

BJ-74 Yukon cold-temperature start procedure:
Before shut down the hand throttle is advanced to 1200 RPM
The truck has a lower rad hose heater which is plugged in with a timer that preheats the engine coolant for about 6 hours prior to start up when temperatures are below freezing.
For the glow screen to work the glow system temperature sensor is un-plugged, otherwise the warm coolant turns off the glow screen system.
With this procedure the truck starts and runs as if it was above freezing.
The plug-in pre-heat costs about 50 cents and makes cold weather start-up easy with less 'wear and tear' on the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom