Clutch fan vs electric upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all

So my clutch fan has seized. I'm just wondering if I should replace it or delete it and go all electric cooling?

I'm in Australia so it gets damn hot.

Cheers

gas or diesel?
did you ever have an overheating issue before?
I'd stay stock and go with a fan clutch, and if a gasser UZ engine, change the fan bracket also.

Reactions: jLB
If maximum heat extraction is the goal, I think the stock fan is what you want. Stock fan is something like 10k CFM. Electric fans are 2500-4000 from what I've seen. Fine for cool climates maybe, but I'd avoid electric fans if you're somewhere hot and you want the AC on in idle traffic in the summer.

Years ago e-fans were the cool thing. They're quiet, you can turn them off to improve warm up, you can put down a tiny bit more power, but they just dont move as much air as the factory mechanical fans. When an OEM does electric fans, it's a part of a sweeping set of design changes including the electrical system. I'm a skeptic of the aftermarket e-fan retrofit.

Electric fan won't be an upgrade. Get a new viscous hub

Hey all

So my clutch fan has seized. I'm just wondering if I should replace it or delete it and go all electric cooling?

I'm in Australia so it gets damn hot.

Cheers
Skruf, just fix/replace the factory clutch fan. No electric setup will match its effectiveness and simplicity.
What engine do you have?

If maximum heat extraction is the goal, I think the stock fan is what you want. Stock fan is something like 10k CFM. Electric fans are 2500-4000 from what I've seen. Fine for cool climates maybe, but I'd avoid electric fans if you're somewhere hot and you want the AC on in idle traffic in the summer.

Years ago e-fans were the cool thing. They're quiet, you can turn them off to improve warm up, you can put down a tiny bit more power, but they just dont move as much air as the factory mechanical fans. When an OEM does electric fans, it's a part of a sweeping set of design changes including the electrical system. I'm a skeptic of the aftermarket e-fan retrofit.

I'd like to see some actual CFM data for the clutch fan. The radiator is big enough to hold two 16" electric fans which could move a healthy amount of air. They could (and should) be wired in sequentially with a thermostat which would reduce burden on the electrical system.

I'm interested in electric fans primarily from the perspective of noise reduction. A 2UZ firing up unburdened by a clutch fan is a glorious thing to hear. It would also prolong fan bracket life. I wouldn't be interested if it even slightly compromised cooling capabilities.

Good insights.

The width of an electric blade (after market) are narrow and that lone shows their poor performance. My corolla OEM electric fans (both radiator and AC condenser) blades are about 2.5-3 inches wide, which is an integral part of CFM. OEM fan on LC also got massive blades so you can understand it's CFM numbers.

On the other side, two fans running at full speed will draw about 80 to 100 Amps.

Stick to OEM if you take your cruiser into deserted areas, which I am sure you find a lot in Australia.

The width of an electric blade (after market) are narrow and that lone shows their poor performance. My corolla OEM electric fans (both radiator and AC condenser) blades are about 2.5-3 inches wide, which is an integral part of CFM. OEM fan on LC also got massive blades so you can understand it's CFM numbers.

On the other side, two fans running at full speed will draw about 80 to 100 Amps.

Stick to OEM if you take your cruiser into deserted areas, which I am sure you find a lot in Australia.
I'm convinced now. Just listening to the stuck fan roaring like a turbine it's clear it's moving way more air than electric ever could

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom