Closest US approximation to 79 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought it was 99 (still narrow front). My 75 cab is a 98
Other than slightly more leg room there’s no particular advantage to the 79 Series. Certainly not enough advantage to wait years to import in my opinion.
I’m not sure the average person could even tell the difference between a 1998 HZJ75 and a 1999 HZJ79.

Last edited:
Other than slightly more leg room there’s no particular advantage to the 79 Series. Certainly not enough advantage to wait years to import in my opinion.
I’m not sure the average person could even tell the difference between a 1998 HZJ75 and a 1999 HZJ79.

Exactly; they're both slow, smelly diesels. :p

Front coils😁 rear leaf springs are longer too for the record. Also, 01 was the start of the HDJ79, but good luck getting them out of aus..... they're sought after here even.

Front coils😁 rear leaf springs are longer too for the record. Also, 01 was the start of the HDJ79, but good luck getting them out of aus..... they're sought after here even.
A smooth ride is overrated. 😁

Hello,

As stated above, there is no choice but to import a used truck under the 25 year rule.

Double cab 75 Series, fire engines among them, show up every now and then in auction sites.

It will be a while before double cab 79 Series are eligible for import.

Is it possible to build a double cab 79 on an 80 Series?

Juan

So then what would be the next best thing you could buy new in the states? Something like this?
F4769204-77C4-4A5C-8D2B-F8CAB0629DF7.png

^ mic drop

My wife is actually headed to UAE in a few weeks but I’m having trouble finding 25 year old land cruiser pickups. Anyone have a site they prefer to use for that region?

My wife is actually headed to UAE in a few weeks but I’m having trouble finding 25 year old land cruiser pickups. Anyone have a site they prefer to use for that region?

Maybe @John Young or @Honger can help. The KSA website to use is Haraj.com.

This has been done before? Is it the same as the 4runner engine?

Nobody said this has been done before. That was speculation. Even if the engine was 100% compliant you are talking about a super expensive proposition to get a vehicle modified (DOT) and imported through a registered importer.

Dubizzle is one site you can search... as well as Emirates Auction. But honestly, sourcing a 25+ year 75 series pickup is more than a "in the UAE for a few days" activity. At least if you want to find a solid one. Also, solid ones tend to actually have pretty good value over there, so the price won't be third-world bottom dollar. AND, a lot of the older ones have been used on the beaches to haul in fishing nets and then given the quick bondo special to make them look good for a quick sale.

I'm no longer in the UAE but I do source trucks from over there for resale still. It just took me 6 months to find another Troopy in the condition I wanted. Shoot me a DM if you want to discuss importing one.

Also, shoot a DM to @edmond4822, I know he gets trucks/troopies from the Middle East in LHD flavor from time to time.

25 yo FZJ75 pickups in KSA go for around 25k SAR +/- ($6600) but they are totally trashed. If you find one like I bought it will be more than 2x that price. Still relatively cheap but not easy to find. If they come from either coastline here they will have rust or are likely to have rust. Most of the best ones come from the mountains in the south near Yemen. Mine was owned by a large Saudi company based in Riyadh so all it saw was highway miles and although it rains occasionally in Riyadh it's otherwise a zero humidity environment.

back when I was looking into importing Gwagens/70 series, seems that you could import any year vehicle if you claimed it to be off road only, like farm use only and you can't drive it on the road or register it. Don't know if I remember this correctly since it's been a while.

no truth to that, really. You can't import a
2019 Moldavan tractor that has a non-EPA engine in it. Won't happen. Some mines in the US bring in landcruisers refitted with Cummins EPA-rated engines for offroad mining use, no plates. You could go that route, if you have deep pockets, can open a mine and never drive it on the highway..

I would contact a vendor on here to see what your options are, but there's nothing modern in NA like a 70 series. an F350 is quite a bit too heavy, unless you like sinking in heavy mud. A 4 Runner or an FJ Cruiser is a no-go for me.

Last edited:
Like others on hear, my ideal land cruiser would be a crew cab 70 series. I don't see that being a realistic option for me in the near future. That being the case I have eyebald a few Gladiators. Like someone else already pointed out they are one of the closest substites we can get here if that is what you want without undertaking a costly and timely custom build. I have been considering...:frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom