Closest US approximation to 79 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks, after having used 79 series, 100 series and 200 series overseas in the military, nothing else comes close. In terms of the 79 series nothing has the durability, reliability and simplicity in the US. Also, it seems importing one for true daily use on a farm ,etc. is a bridge too far seeing as they must be 25 years old and are subject to the chicken tax. I looked into trying to import one for farm/off-road use only but there was little information and it seems all the same importing laws still apply. Having said that, what would you say most closely approximates the 79 series in the US that you can currently buy new? Or am I missing any loopholes on importing a 79 series?

I'm sure you already know the answer is nothing. There are still 75 series that are in decent shape that can be imported. That would be the cheapest way of getting a "close to" 79 series in the US.

New? Jeep Gladiator. maybe a manual (<2019) Dodge 3/4 ton if size isn’t a big comparison factor. If you’re looking for a truck with a spec with solid front axle, available diesel engine, manual trans (Gladiator does I think?), respectable payload... Still not a 79 Toyota I know, but it is what it is...

Yep, 75 is all you are getting legally imported. You could build something on an 80 series frame if you have time and money.

Yep, 75 is all you are getting legally imported. You could build something on an 80 series frame if you have time and money.

Lots of time and money. Or just lots of more money. :p

back when I was looking into importing Gwagens/70 series, seems that you could import any year vehicle if you claimed it to be off road only, like farm use only and you can't drive it on the road or register it. Don't know if I remember this correctly since it's been a while.

back when I was looking into importing Gwagens/70 series, seems that you could import any year vehicle if you claimed it to be off road only, like farm use only and you can't drive it on the road or register it. Don't know if I remember this correctly since it's been a while.
Any idea on how to get info on this?

It would be nice if it was LHD but it will be driven almost exclusively on the farm so I suppose RHD would work too
There are a number of importers on ‘MUD so hopefully some of them will chime in.

Wait 2 years ish for 79 series with coils, 5 lug axles and 10mm free hub studs.
1996 models came out in october1995.

Wait 2 years ish for 79 series with coils, 5 lug axles and 10mm free hub studs.
1996 models came out in october1995.
I thought it was 99 (still narrow front). My 75 cab is a 98

...you are right. 8/1999 per fiche first 79 series

Last edited:
Any idea on how to get info on this?

There is no Federal exemption for "off road only". The closest thing would be box 8 on the US DOT NHTSA form HS-7, which is the form you use to declare your vehicle's eligibility for import. If you select box 8, you're declaring that: "The vehicle was not manufactured primarily for use on the public roads and thus is not a motor vehicle subject to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards".

Which, strictly speaking, isn't true--the vehicle was manufactured for use on public roads, you're just not planning on using it that way. What we'd all like box 8 to say is "we don't intend to use it on public roads". But it doesn't say that. And if you declare that (i.e. check box 8), you've perjured yourself. Federal crime. Bad idea.

If you are going to try use the grj model with the 4 runner engine that can be made to pass emissions.

Anything newer than 25 years old needs to be imported through a Registered Importer. If you contact one, they can walk you through the process, but the simple version is that they would need to petition the US government to allow the vehicle to be imported, and the US government would need to assent. There are two hurdles: EPA and NHTSA. Yes, the grj model with the 4Runner engine would be much easier to get past the EPA--all the parts are available to make the motor EPA compliant, so that shouldn't pose a problem. NHTSA is a bit more of a concern. You may not be able to find a model with airbags, side-impact protection, crash absorbing bumpers, etc., etc. The vehicle would need to comply (or be modified to comply) with all relevant FMVSS as of the date of its manufacture. If you can find such a vehicle, you might be able to get it done, but I don't know of any market where Toyota built the 70-series with those features. OTOH, if you're successful, that model will be added to the list of vehicles we can all import. So you'd be a hero.

Find a good 75 Series and never look back.

Far and away the easiest solution.

The vehicle would need to comply (or be modified to comply) with all relevant FMVSS as of the date of its manufacture. If you can find such a vehicle, you might be able to get it done, but I don't know of any market where Toyota built the 70-series with those features. OTOH, if you're successful, that model will be added to the list of vehicles we can all import. So you'd be a hero.

Great information. People seem to forget that even if the vehicle is on or gets on the list it will still need to be imported through a registered importer and all the modifications will still need to be performed. That's typically an expensive proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom