Clock works; however dome lights and radio do not. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pengfinn

dead set
Threads
Website
unixin.space
Hey mud, long time lurker here.

So I recently picked up a '91 80-series with >350k on the dash and need some assistance troubleshooting an electric issue.

So my clock works, but the dome light and the radio does not. I've checked all fuses (dome, radio, cig) and all of them are good. Pulling the dome fuse resets the clock, so that seems correct. I have read that all of these usually go out at once since they're all on the dome circuit.

I was wondering if my issue could be that both the radio and the dome light are bad? I'm going to test continuity tonight (going to borrow a buddy's multimeter), but was wondering if any mudders have had the same issue that might save me some time.

The (factory) radio lights up when the knob is pressed, however there is no sound and the screen does not show anything, nor does pressing any other buttons elicit a response. Per the BE section of the FSM, I'm going to test continuity behind the radio and also at the dome bulb contacts, would this be the best way?

Thanks guys, this forum is awesome.

tl;dr Anyone familiar with this problem, and does my troubleshooting plan seem correct?

how about your cigarette lighter? those three would go out on my 95 when i got water in the right rear quarter panel in the plug for the factory amp

how about your cigarette lighter? those three would go out on my 95 when i got water in the right rear quarter panel in the plug for the factory amp

Also doesn't work, is it also on the dome circuit? Don't have the FSM in front of me right now. I remember checking the "hidden" FL on the back of the lighter and it was making contact with the wiring, i.e. not burnt up as those do.

I'll be off work in roughly 30m, and after my drive to a buddy's house I'll be able to dig into things further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom