Builds The Leviathan: My slow build of my slow truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pengfinn

dead set
Threads
Website
unixin.space
Morning, mud!

I figured it was time to start one of these, but it'll definitely be a slow-go as there's a lot going on for me right now.

I found my '91 FJ80 roughly a year and a half ago. Long story short, my boss got the short end of the stick in a deal with a used car salesman and ended up with a bunch of cars he couldn't move. We worked out a deal and I got the 80 for around $1k. It had 363k on the clock when I got it, and was generally sluggish even for a 3FE.

And for my own sake, here's a list of baselining work I'm going to do since it's starting to warm up:

• New pads, rotors (have parts.)
  • New shoes on drums (have parts)
  • Change fuel filter and prefilter (have parts)
  • New plugs & wires (have plugs, need to get wires)
  • Delete EGR and smog pump (need belt, "keychain", misc other)
  • The front axle seals are very suspect. I'm going to order a kit and either have the plant mechanic rebuild it or I'll attempt it myself. A good chance to get my hands dirty, since I've seen it done a few times and it seems not as much hard as it is a mess.
And a few planned mods:
  • New front bumper, might go custom
  • New shocks, springs
I don't have a lot of pictures at the moment, but I'll take some after work.

Here's a shot of her sitting out in a deserted gravel pit while we went out and shot off some rounds.

pevtYEng.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a lot of fun planned - good luck!

But anyone who goes out skeet shooting with an AR probably doesn't need luck! :)

Haha, that's what the shotgun was for. We have targets (not pictured) for the AR, although that sounds like something to try next time!

Slow progress with the truck so far. A week or two ago, my alternator took a dive causing it to overcharge. Ordered a new one from Denso via Amazon (which was reported compatible with the 3F-E) and it did not fit correctly. It was likely for the 1FZ. So I send it back and ask Autozone. After it "not coming in on the truck" and several useless trips down there later, I get one elsewhere which works instantly.

So, with all the downtime and most of the smog system removed, what did I do?

Went ahead and deleted the EGR, Smog Pump, and Friends. This frees up plenty of space for a second battery, which I'll install later.

Fender Space:
0p5SsPR.jpg

Wit's End Keychain (via @NLXTACY) Mounted where the EGR was.
5X7pyHj.jpg

I'm terrible at keeping this thing updated! Got some new shoes for the old girl a couple weeks ago, I'll post pics later. Finally off those tiny 235/75/15's. New battery went in yesterday, the old one never was the same after the overcharging issue. Upon removal, I noticed there was a trail where fluid seemed to have boiled out. Replaced with a battery of the correct size and all seems well.

Also replaced the #2 intake hose, the one from the AFM to the TB. The #1 hose needs some love, too, and I'll order one this week. (Pictures to come).

Last edited:
Front end was rebuilt. I don't have any pictures, but I'm now a lot less worried about something happening.

Ended up resealing the oil pan as well, as the cork gasket was leaking and petrified (I should have taken a short video of our mechanic trying to scrape that awful mess off. Valve cover gasket also weeps a bit of oil and I have the part for that when it gets warmer.

The amount of grease caked onto the hubs was insane. Removing grease for the entire project required 5 cans of brake cleaner. Ridiculous.

Fuel filter was also replaced, with the amount of gunk on it, it hadn't been replaced in a while (if ever.)

After a test drive, she seems to be driving a lot better!

Water pump decided to kick it while heading up the hill to work.
Coolant is everywhere, fan shroud is destroyed, fans not in great shape either:
DSCN3043.JPG

View attachment 1623109

Ack. You know that you have the while your in there crap to do. I did the basic package. Belts hoses pump clutch and a crapload of cleaning/degreasing. Used my old inlet but should have just bought a new one. Bought everything (Aisin) from Rock Auto. Was going to put the Koyo radiator in but mine seems okay and hear a lot about the aftermarket ones breaking so just riding mine out. Ended up cutting my own studs because the nuts were frozen on 3 of 4. Used Permatex red on the studs. And bought those nuts you saw on the other thread from Bel. Oh, I also had a hard time getting the studs lined up through the adjusting bracket that is connected to the AC idler. I took the whole damn thing off just so I didnt accidentally cross thread. 3 bolts.

Ack. You know that you have the while your in there crap to do. I did the basic package. Belts hoses pump clutch and a crapload of cleaning/degreasing. Used my old inlet but should have just bought a new one. Bought everything (Aisin) from Rock Auto. Was going to put the Koyo radiator in but mine seems okay and hear a lot about the aftermarket ones breaking so just riding mine out. Ended up cutting my own studs because the nuts were frozen on 3 of 4. Used Permatex red on the studs. And bought those nuts you saw on the other thread from Bel. Oh, I also had a hard time getting the studs lined up through the adjusting bracket that is connected to the AC idler. I took the whole damn thing off just so I didnt accidentally cross thread. 3 bolts.

Yup, getting everything put together for an order now. Perfect time to service the cooling system, especially right before a hot Alabama summer.

Bummer! I had the same thing happen on my Wagoneer this year. I dug into it, replacing 1 part at a time. By the end of it, I needed to replace water pump, Fan Clutch, Fan, radiator, and belts. Looking back, I should have just ordered everything and done all of it new from the beginning. Good call just getting everything taken care of at once!

Bummer! I had the same thing happen on my Wagoneer this year. I dug into it, replacing 1 part at a time. By the end of it, I needed to replace water pump, Fan Clutch, Fan, radiator, and belts. Looking back, I should have just ordered everything and done all of it new from the beginning. Good call just getting everything taken care of at once!

Already had a clutch with the fancy mud-approved fluid. Getting new pump, fan, belts, etc. The belts are relatively new, but it never hurts to grab a set while I have the funds. Radiator was replaced not long before I took possession of the truck and seems to be healthy and full of green coolant. Shroud is destroyed, but that's on its way as well. Eventually I'll have a new truck.

Already had a clutch with the fancy mud-approved fluid. Getting new pump, fan, belts, etc. The belts are relatively new, but it never hurts to grab a set while I have the funds. Radiator was replaced not long before I took possession of the truck and seems to be healthy and full of green coolant. Shroud is destroyed, but that's on its way as well. Eventually I'll have a new truck.
I just didnt have the gusto to mess with the fluid. I know Im supposed to do it. Im a rebel.

I just didnt have the gusto to mess with the fluid. I know Im supposed to do it. Im a rebel.

I picked up a second clutch for cheap on ebay, figured if I didn't have much into it it wouldn't hurt for a learning experience.

Got any before/after pics of the new tires? What size did u go with? I currently have the same on my 62 and was considering going slightly larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom