Cleaning Engine Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't have a parts washer, so what should I do to wash engine/tranny/t-case parts?

What chemicals do you use, how do you minimize exposure to them, and how do you properly dispose of them? Do you filter and reuse them? How?

Thanks!

I know this may sound funny but, I used oven cleaner. It removes alot of junk and pressure washes right off, no harsh chemicals to worry about...

I bought a 5 gallon container of greased lightning at Lowes. It works pretty good. I just poured into some buckets and put the parts in. Heavy crudded stuff I let set overnight. Hosed them off the next day. Only had a couple of spots that I had to scrub. Don't use on aluminum.

I bought a 5 gallon container of greased lightning at Lowes. It works pretty good. I just poured into some buckets and put the parts in. Heavy crudded stuff I let set overnight. Hosed them off the next day. Only had a couple of spots that I had to scrub. Don't use on aluminum.

Do you find it is reusable for a while?

All the above are good. I now have a parts washer, but used to use kerosene in a 5 gallon bucket. Works well when used with a toothbrush sized wire brush.

GL

Ed

Wal Mart caries a degreaser made by Castrol called Super Clean. It is biodegradeable and can be used on almost any surface. This stuff is great for any task but avoid contact with skin as it will do a chemical peel.
For HEAVY grease talk to you local auto machine or trans shop. My trans shop guy trows my parts in his hot washer with his stuff (space available) for a couple bucks or beer on Friday.

cheap: pink partswashing fluid (aka gasoline), a paint brush and a garbage can lid. Cost: $1-5, plus you have instant week killer to use around the house.

expensive: call Safetyclean and have them deliver a new partswashing unit and have it serviced weekly. Cost : hundreds on an ongoing basis

I have an older SC unit I bought used for $75 and buy 35 gallon drums of Zep Dyna Blue every couple years at ~$14/gallon last time I checked.

I clean the really grimmy stuff with engine degreaser and the p-washer or knock the big stuff off with gasoline to make my part washer fluid last longer. Growing up around trucks and dozers we had three: one for the real grimey, another for general cleanup and another that was generally off-limits as it was used for engine componets. The SC man would come and service one/month and then we would rotate how we used them to keep the newest one for the delicate stuff. Not cheap but the old man was paying for it...not me.

Last edited:
Do you find it is reusable for a while?

Yep. I left it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I never mixed it with water. Still cleans the crud off stuff, been almost a year now. The castrol super clean is good too, but a little expensive if you need to soak large parts. I don't think your supposed to use super clean on aluminum either. Most of the good water based cleaners have Sodium Hydroxide (lye).

If your close to an airport, JET A works real well, kinda costly, but I guess all the detergent in it causes it to work really well, and like gasoline, its alot cheaper than Round Up and works quicker too.

Has anyone ever used Carb dip to clean anything but carbs? I have a gallon of this stuff (25$) and it did a number on my carb inside and out. And was extremely easy to use.

Before carb dip

1247921-IMG_7611.jpg

after

1247921-IMG_8502.jpg

I use a 5 gal bucket with lid and purple degreaser by ZEP (at home depot). Put the parts in, strap an old vibrating sander to the side of the bucket, turn it on, and pick up clean parts in about 15 minutes.

I've done everything up to a transfer case (including differentials) in my home made washer...

laundry tub - $15
5 gallon bucket (free)
5 gallons of gas - $15
stiff brush - $3
6" PVC tube, fitting for the bottom of the tub - $3
electric fuel pump - $40
Respirator - $25
Chemical resistant gloves - $5
Safety goggles - $5
5/16" fuel line (or rubber hose) - $10

Placed the bucket under the tub. I mounted the fuel pump to the laundry tub, then ran the inlet hose to about 1/2 way down the bucket. I had about a 4ft hose section from the pump to move around freely. All the grime drains into the bucket and settles to the bottom. When you are done, put the lid on the bucket and store away.

For the really tough stuff, I use lacquer thinner (or urethane reducer) in a spray bottle. Cost is about $10 per gallon, but it is a very strong solvent.

Gas and thinner are not kind to seals, plan on replacing.

For heavy stuff like the outside of my t-case/tranny/knuckles I used oven cleaner then a power wash at the local quarter wash.
For small parts I use Berrymans
0996.jpg

Hey guys,
Harbor Freight has a 20 gallon parts washer on sale right now for $69.00. Just picked one up.

Get ready for pump failure. The impeller on the pump will get cleaner inside and will not turn the fins for the pump. You have to disassemble the pump and whip out the inside of the fins and wipe off the impeller each time or the pump will quit working. Know of three that this has to be done to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom