check your front lower shock mounts on diff housing for cracked welds

I've had to get front lower should mounts re-welded and gusseted on the front diff housing because one of them had nearly cracked fully off. I hadn't noticed it was cracked and just by chance looked at something else and spotted it. Been cracked for a long time by the extent of the fractured weld.

The guy who fixed it for me said that it's really common on LC's, etc. that use the front lower shock mounts as a steering stop as well, but I think the diff housing was cracked there when I got it but it wasn't showing up visually at the time. I had the welding re-done on both sides plus got some gusseting added.

Gives me a good excuse to do a full front driveline rebuild though. My 80 is part time 4wd and I run 3 inch springs with Icon 1.0 shocks.

sunrk: do you have photos of the cracked mounts before/after repair??

Last edited:

BROMO95

SILVER Star

That's basically what was fitted by Mechfab. Before fixing, the left side front lower shock mount was cracked all the way up the vertical weld on the outside with only the top horizontal part of the weld still intact.

Last edited:
That's basically what was fitted by Mechfab. Before fixing, the left side front lower shock mount was cracked all the way up the vertical weld on the outside with only the top horizontal part of the weld still intact.
Any pics?

I've got a pic somewhere of the crack - my flickr acct was forcibly deleted a few months back so I lost everything I'd uploaded.

Alien or troll at work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom