check your front lower shock mounts on diff housing for cracked welds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had to get front lower should mounts re-welded and gusseted on the front diff housing because one of them had nearly cracked fully off. I hadn't noticed it was cracked and just by chance looked at something else and spotted it. Been cracked for a long time by the extent of the fractured weld.

The guy who fixed it for me said that it's really common on LC's, etc. that use the front lower shock mounts as a steering stop as well, but I think the diff housing was cracked there when I got it but it wasn't showing up visually at the time. I had the welding re-done on both sides plus got some gusseting added.

Gives me a good excuse to do a full front driveline rebuild though. My 80 is part time 4wd and I run 3 inch springs with Icon 1.0 shocks.

sunrk: do you have photos of the cracked mounts before/after repair??

Last edited:

That's basically what was fitted by Mechfab. Before fixing, the left side front lower shock mount was cracked all the way up the vertical weld on the outside with only the top horizontal part of the weld still intact.

Last edited:
That's basically what was fitted by Mechfab. Before fixing, the left side front lower shock mount was cracked all the way up the vertical weld on the outside with only the top horizontal part of the weld still intact.
Any pics?

I've got a pic somewhere of the crack - my flickr acct was forcibly deleted a few months back so I lost everything I'd uploaded.

Alien or troll at work?

I've had to get front lower should mounts re-welded and gusseted on the front diff housing because one of them had nearly cracked fully off. I hadn't noticed it was cracked and just by chance looked at something else and spotted it. Been cracked for a long time by the extent of the fractured weld.

The guy who fixed it for me said that it's really common on LC's, etc. that use the front lower shock mounts as a steering stop as well, but I think the diff housing was cracked there when I got it but it wasn't showing up visually at the time. I had the welding re-done on both sides plus got some gusseting added.

Gives me a good excuse to do a full front driveline rebuild though. My 80 is part time 4wd and I run 3 inch springs with Icon 1.0 shocks.
My lower shock mount rear driver side just broke loose while going 65 and instantly shredded the tire it was a real eye-opener. Struggling to put the rig back together now.
don’t want to replace the entire axle looks like Alex will be tiding me over with a Saw off from rust free ca

My lower shock mount rear driver side just broke loose while going 65 and instantly shredded the tire it was a real eye-opener. Struggling to put the rig back together now.
don’t want to replace the entire axle looks like Alex will be tiding me over with a Saw off from rust free ca
Photos of carnage are always welcome here and greatly improve these sort of posts.

Photos of carnage are always welcome here and greatly improve these sort of posts.
This is where the flange snapped off and loose shock mangled my tire going 65
I took it to my friends shop they kept it over a week charged me $700 and the car didn’t even make it home before it broke again tearing up the replacement new tire in the process.
With friends like that who needs enemies lol.
Lesson learned I am going to be replacing the entire bracket with a sound one from Alex on here.
gotta love the rust belt.
Thanks for chiming in ,
really appreciate all the feedback

EDE6205B-C479-48D9-8A06-D3BBD8CE6D13.jpeg

This is where the flange snapped off and loose shock mangled my tire going 65
I took it to my friends shop they kept it over a week charged me $700 and the car didn’t even make it home before it broke again tearing up the replacement new tire in the process.
With friends like that who needs enemies lol.
Lesson learned I am going to be replacing the entire bracket with a sound one from Alex on here.
gotta love the rust belt.
Thanks for chiming in ,
really appreciate all the feedback

View attachment 3127026
Oh ok that’s the one you posted in its own thread yesterday. I’d sell that rust bucket and buy a solid rig. You’ll be fighting that cancer forever.

Oh ok that’s the one you posted in its own thread yesterday. I’d sell that rust bucket and buy a solid rig. You’ll be fighting that cancer forever.
Yeah you do have a point there it’s getting pretty bad and I’m thinkin about it
the fronts decent at least because of all the oil leaks 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom