Charcoal Canister / LRA Breather Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Howdy. Am stumped.

Vehicle: 2008 LC 200 w/ LRA 24 tank. All install history is w/ PO.

Symptoms: whistle sound when filling main tank (after ~50% full), frequent off-click from pump due to positive air/fume pressure from tank/filler neck.
  • Removed wheel well cover yesterday w/ intent to deploy the fix detailed in this thread; hose and K&N filter in-hand.
  • Found that I appear to be missing the Vapor Canister Filter
  • Investigated whether I could plumb the larger-diameter line to where the installed breather originated, but no dice. Too tight.
  • thoroughly cleaned the very dirty cone filter, re-installed as high as I could (gained 4-6 inches in elevation)
Questions: is this a bad install due to missing vapor canister filter? Do I need to install canister?

Much appreciate any insight/tips. TYIA!

1650560022692.png

Apparently it is not visible,. so go look for the hose and trace where the hose leads too. They put the canister somewhere else.

How often are y’all checking or replacing the LRA breather filter. My 40 gallon started only accepting 35 gallons and it was suggested that I check the filter, picture below of filter with 8600 miles on it.

D5C0A041-B8F7-43AE-85B8-22FB0E921DA9.jpeg

I'm making it a habit to check after extremely dusty trail conditions, and oil change intervals.

Anything thst would cause me to check, clean or replace my engine air filter is a good time to at least inspect it.

Also, I run a mesh dirt bike pre-filter over mine, which I think helps a little.

This was after a week of running dusty trails in canada.

CC6F64A5-CE7F-4841-B128-6E3A4482E6B8.jpeg
0E51F575-E433-4D98-B370-DD6D79733CF5.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm making it a habit to check after extremely dusty trail conditions, and oil change intervals.

Anything thst would cause me to check, clean or replace my engine air filter is a good time to at least inspect it.

Also, I run a mesh dirt bike pre-filter over mine, which I think helps a little.

This was after a week of running dusty trails in canada.

View attachment 3093076View attachment 3093080
Wow, it gets dirtier far quicker than I had assumed.

In all fairness, this was like a week of 8-10 hour days of dirt roads with MAJOR dust. Like can't see the car in front of you dust, even with dust lights it was tricky.
Wow, it gets dirtier far quicker than I had assumed.

Is there maybe a better place to route it or put it? That would be a place accessible.

I was thinking of zip tying a piece that foam they use on the shop vac filters to it.

I live just outside of the Grand Canyon, surrounded by red dirt roads, and purchased the parts to do the larger tank vent filter setup that Tekcis and others had installed, but did not get around to installing before I sold the 200. I have the parts posted up in classified right now, so IM me if anyone needs this upgrade to the stock LRA parts.

Is there maybe a better place to route it or put it? That would be a place accessible.

I was thinking of zip tying a piece that foam they use on the shop vac filters to it.
It’s easily accessible where it’s at, I can get to it in a minute or 2. Being a foot away from the rear tire with nothing but a piece of plastic fender well with gaps all around is really the issue. It’s fine if I need to check it every so often, that trouble is offset by the gain in range.

A pre filter of some sort is something I need to get on… I’m eyeing one of my 5 year olds unmatched spider man socks at the moment.

Someone suggested running the vent up to the engine bay. It might be a little tricky with that large a diameter of hose, but I'm thinking about it.

The next time I have mine open, I think I'm going to extend the vent line a little higher at least. The thin dirtbike prefilter seems to help, but your idea is better. A surprising amount of dust makes it past my prefilter. Probably just the finer stuff, but it still clogs up the main filter eventually.

Saw that one, but I don't think fuel fumes in the engine bay is a good idea. I'm likely going to go the shop vac filter foam cover route. Likely easiest to maintain.

This should be highlighted more. I spent a couple days running trails at 8k feet and had signs/smells of gas vapor. A vent like this in the hot engine bay would be concerning. Where it is at the fill doesn't have any immediate heat sources. Even though it's another maintenance item, I'll be keeping it there for now.

Other thing to notice is that the breather can pull in moisture eventually damaging the evap canister with corrosion. Important to high loop it.

More info here:

1661182606321.png

Ooh, I missed the "high loop it" part. That's on my to do list now. Thanks!

This will highlight of my complete ignorance of how this filter works but how much air is moving in this thing and is it going in and out?

This will highlight of my complete ignorance of how this filter works but how much air is moving in this thing and is it going in and out?

Yes in and out.

Air in to pressurize the fuel evap system when driving, and air out when you shut down to release the pressure in the tanks. (simplified answer).

The pressure in the tanks is maintained at a set pressure for the evap. system, so it's constantly checking and adjusting it. This then has vapors coming out and air in as it breathers through the breather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom