Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CC replaced with VC120

Hi,

Replaced my CC on Sat. morning with the Autozone VC120 for $39.50. I had been noticing the issue with my truck for a couple of years both in summer heat and winter snow runs above 6000'. Went out Sat. night on snow run and did not experience gassy smells nor high pressure in fuel tank! As for milage, I discovered I left the poor LX in High Range the whole trip and only discovered towards the last of the trip when I buried it nose first in a big drift. dug and locked it up and could not get the wheels to turn. :doh: it was in high range. No wonder my milage sucked and it was a guttles wonder.

Nice find, nice fix!

Finally installed mine. JEEZ ! Only had it couple weeks after the OP shared the info.

Can't smell vapors anymore, woohoo !!

Well, I decided to swap out my new OEM canister for the GM one on the theory that the GM somehow had a better design in terms of fixing the fuel smell problem in hot weather. I had never had a problem with fuel pressure in the tank.

As I thought, the GM doesn't fix the issue either with the fuel smell at temps above 185, although it certainly seems to work identically to OEM and it is bigger and an awful lot cheaper. The notion that the GM fixes a problem that the OEM does not, however is busted in my testing. Going to have to address this via cooling system work and upgrades.

The GM canister fixes the problem only if the original canister IS the problem. There are other parts to the system that need to be troubleshooted. (troubleshot)?

The GM canister fixes the problem only if the original canister IS the problem. There are other parts to the system that need to be troubleshooted. (troubleshot)?

Agreed - there is plenty of speculation on this thread that it was perhaps doing more than that and I figured I'd post since I might well be the only person here who bought both a new OEM and new GM (neither of which did anything as my original CC was still 'working').

At high altitude where I live, at least on my truck, it is pretty simple. Get the engine temps above 185 and there will be some fuel smell. Prolonged temps over 190 and you get more smell for longer.

I'll be doing the 15k oil (or whatever) in the fan clutch for starters and will go from there.

There is also a VSV for EVAP. Since we all know how temp. sensitive the VSV for EGR is and they are both in the same location then that might be something to check.

We assume it works because it never throws a code. But our OBD2 doesnt produce codes for EVAP so how would we know to check.

According to my local dealer the vapor canister has been discontinued by Toyota. So your only options are autozone ($240) or whatever you can make fit.

CruisingMogollon said:
According to my local dealer the vapor canister has been discontinued by Toyota. So your only options are autozone ($240) or whatever you can make fit.

This is correct. Charcoal canister is disco city.

Just some info;

I was at Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton, WA the other week picking up parts for my 80. I asked about the CC myself (before reading this thread), and they quoted me $350+ and I balked at that price. So if anyone is looking for a OEM part, give them a call; Don or Jesse in parts. I believe they get the parts out of Portland, OR; you could call a regional dealer to Portland that pulls from that warehouse too.

If you want a basically new OEM at a reasonable price, PM me. I have it sitting on the bench and there is no reason for me to swap it again.

JDubble said:
I was at Bob Bridge Toyota in Renton, WA the other week picking up parts for my 80. I asked about the CC myself (before reading this thread), and they quoted me $350+ and I balked at that price. So if anyone is looking for a OEM part, give them a call; Don or Jesse in parts. I believe they get the parts out of Portland, OR; you could call a regional dealer to Portland that pulls from that warehouse too.

They are discontinued: I.e., they are not available from a Toyota warehouse in the US.

Some dealers might have NOS but that is going to be the long and short of it.

Just open up and replace with fresh active charcoal.

Now how to fix the check valves?
image-4022321088.jpg

They are discontinued: I.e., they are not available from a Toyota warehouse in the US.

Some dealers might have NOS but that is going to be the long and short of it.

No worries mang, I was just passing along what the parts dood said ( lossed in translation perhaps ). Your insight is greater than mine, and greatly welcomed. Too bad they are not discounted being discontinued.

Just open up and replace with fresh active charcoal.

Now how to fix the check valves?

I swapped the charcoal as well and so far, working great after a trip to Moab and lots of sloshing of the fuel.

Fixing the check valve - it's a simple ball with a spring. Blast it with brake spray and see if that fixes it. Use an air hose too if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom