Blocked Charcoal Canister (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a 1FZ-FE and believe the charcoal canister is blocked. Bad fuel economy and over/under pressure when opening the fuel tanks for filling.

Has anyone experienced a blocked canister and how negatively did it effect your fuel economy?

Definitely something you want to address sooner rather than later or you could end up with a split fuel tank.
Check the vacuum line to the canister actually has a vacuum at the appropriate revs (FSM has all the details to test.) You can also test the lines from the fuel tank and the check valve. If needed I believe that there is a unit that is a close fit from Autozone (VC120). Alternatively you can modify your existing canister to remove the check valave and refill with fresh charcoal if necessary. There is a thread here somewhere detailing that process.

Search for this, preferably on Google as the forum doesn't work as well. Super well covered, tons of info.

They are technically serviceable, and there are procedures for diagnosis. Could be clogged, check valve could be seized, or other things. Could also be something else clogged or malfunctioning in the EGR system, for which there are also diagnostic procedures.

Fuel economy could be other things too. What servicing have you done, and what might need servicing, possibly related to performance/efficiency?

My EGR system isn't functioning correctly, have the P0401 code, used to have gas tank pressure hissing out for a second, but not anymore (don't quite know why) and I don't have abnormal fuel economy. Time to dig around and do some diagnostics.

Search for this, preferably on Google as the forum doesn't work as well. Super well covered, tons of info.

They are technically serviceable, and there are procedures for diagnosis. Could be clogged, check valve could be seized, or other things. Could also be something else clogged or malfunctioning in the EGR system, for which there are also diagnostic procedures.

Fuel economy could be other things too. What servicing have you done, and what might need servicing, possibly related to performance/efficiency?

My EGR system isn't functioning correctly, have the P0401 code, used to have gas tank pressure hissing out for a second, but not anymore (don't quite know why) and I don't have abnormal fuel economy. Time to dig around and do some diagnostics.
What economy are you getting?

I'm lifted on 315s, unloaded, mixed driving but no city, and I average about 13 overall. That's better than a lot of people get, but still normal. I keep everything lubed, and all my running bits are in good shape/not old. What are you getting?

My EGR system isn't functioning correctly, have the P0401 code, used to have gas tank pressure hissing out for a second, but not anymore (don't quite know why) and I don't have abnormal fuel economy. Time to dig around and do some

I'm lifted on 315s, unloaded, mixed driving but no city, and I average about 13 overall. That's better than a lot of people get, but still normal. What are you getting?
26L/100km

Before you do anything else put an inline fuel filter on the inlet side of the canister and leave that line unhooked and see if suction at tank stops. Takes less than 5 minutes.

IMG_7445.jpeg

Do what @Hornd says. And depending on vehicle inspections and emissions where you live consider it a possible permanent fix.....

I wish I would have calculated by before and after mileage better. However, I am fairly confident it improved my mileage. More importantly it runs and starts better now too. The prior owner had to replace the gas tank based on a crack that developed. When I was going through the vehicle I noticed that the gas tank was under crazy pressure when I filled it up (e.g. would hiss for about 10 seconds when I unscrewed the gas cap). Once I changed out the charcoal canister, the pressure went away. While I cannot correlate the gas tank crack to this issue, I presume it did not help. Having crazy pressure in these older motors/fuel systems is a recipe for things to prematurely break.

AC Delco 215-153 like an $80 Amazon replacement part that fits and functions perfectly. Why not just replace the thing?
I have the OEM coming from Japan and the AC Delco 215-153 arriving on the 5th of October. The troubling thing for me is I have replaced all items including engine rebuild, installed aftermarket ECU with a wideband O2 sensor, previously no O2 sensor at all down stream. Still using the 26L / 100km or 9MPG. Only thing that has never been replaced is the wideband O2. Fuel was terrible before engine rebuild also and without any accessories installed on the vehicle.

I wish I would have calculated by before and after mileage better. However, I am fairly confident it improved my mileage. More importantly it runs and starts better now too. The prior owner had to replace the gas tank based on a crack that developed. When I was going through the vehicle I noticed that the gas tank was under crazy pressure when I filled it up (e.g. would hiss for about 10 seconds when I unscrewed the gas cap). Once I changed out the charcoal canister, the pressure went away. While I cannot correlate the gas tank crack to this issue, I presume it did not help. Having crazy pressure in these older motors/fuel systems is a recipe for things to prematurely break.
Issue I may have is there is an aftermarket ECU on the exhaust now. There was no O2 and now I have a wideband. Hopefully this canister fixes the issues and I will have to get a refund.

Several of the members in Arizona, myself included, rebuilt them.

How did you do that if I may ask?

Not an 80 but same process.

I elected to drill out the bb check valve.

F6D81CEB-A37D-4052-8A82-648CC57F69A0.jpeg

Here is the link to the 80 rebuild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom