Charcoal Canister - Great Option! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've done pretty extensive off road driving over the last couple of weeks. I've decided (unscientifically) that it was exclusively or nearly exclusively heat build up that caused the gas smell/leaking and not elevation specifically.

I'm going to do the fan clutch mod and hood vents pretty soon. I believe old fan clutch fluid is a major culprit in my case.

I called Wells Vehicle Electronics, apparently they did buy out the last remaining Toyota canisters but now they have zero in stock and the part is tagged to be discontinued. I asked the customer service person if he could put in an internal request to produce more, probably not going to happen.

I called Wells Vehicle Electronics, apparently they did buy out the last remaining Toyota canisters but now they have zero in stock and the part is tagged to be discontinued. I asked the customer service person if he could put in an internal request to produce more, probably not going to happen.

Here are the few places that still have the OEM canisters:

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TOYOTA-6232356-LANDCR-4

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com...NISTER-ASSY--CHARCOAL/4057421/7774060350.html

I would rather go with the bigger Duralast canister & save yourself some $220.

With the new Duralast canister, I am getting 11.5 MPG for the first tank. I will see if that's true for the second tank. It does feel more powerful so the pressure built-up in the old 15 year old canister is not helping the performance at all.

Just read the first page, my canister purges sometimes when i open the cap, what does this actually mean? consume more fuel? Or nothing at all? (I can't notice any effect on performance)

Checked my canister per the FSM today and it is clogged. Time for a new canister and to replace some rotten hoses.

Just read the first page, my canister purges sometimes when i open the cap, what does this actually mean? consume more fuel? Or nothing at all? (I can't notice any effect on performance)

YOU WILL NOTICE THE EFFECT ON PERFORMANCE, YOU WILL GET BETTER GAS MILAGE WITH A NEW CANISTER!:cheers:

ALL THIS WILL BE AT HIGH ELEVATIONS!:beer:

With the new Duralast canister, I am getting 11.5 MPG for the first tank. I will see if that's true for the second tank. It does feel more powerful so the pressure built-up in the old 15 year old canister is not helping the performance at all.

I am getting about 13mpg by FWY...Not bad for a $40 mod.

After 3 weeks and almost 2 taks of gas....no real power change or mpg change. When I open the gas cap I don't feel like I am openning a bomb. MUCH safer now that I don't have couple of gallons of gas fume shoot out in my face just waiting for a spark. Worth every penny, thanks again for the info.

mY GAS AVERAGE PER GALLON IMPROVED BY AN AVERAGE OF 1 MPG AND THAT IS TOWING AN OFFROAD TRAILER!

This thread makes great reading! I can understand the new hoses and such....mine were rotten too. And I'm tired of the face full of fumes. But why go to all the trouble to replace the whole cannister? Can't it just be popped open and the charcoal replaced? I haven't done it, but it sure looks possible.
rScotty

This thread makes great reading! I can understand the new hoses and such....mine were rotten too. And I'm tired of the face full of fumes. But why go to all the trouble to replace the whole cannister? Can't it just be popped open and the charcoal replaced? I haven't done it, but it sure looks possible.
rScotty

The canister is soild steel and you would have to saw cut the steel can to change the charcoal. It's not a servicable part. Try to open a soup can & replace the content!:rolleyes:

rScotty

That's what I did and it worked quite well. Still, I'd love to acquire more granular activated charcoal than the larger size that I got from Petco. This procedure was outlined by FirstToy and I followed it exactly.

I was going to do what ali said but its way easier to buy a new one unless youre a good welder that can do some thin gauged steel.

Look what was in today's mail. Now I'll have a spare to take apart ;)

image-1099374250.jpg
image-1099374250.jpg

Got mine in the mail yesterday and installed it today along with some new hoses.. Went in super easy and just used zip ties on both clamps, be careful as if you pull too hard it will crush the plastic canister. No more tank pressure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom