Changing studs a PITA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ortiz-myers.com
I have a bunch of really rusty studs that I want to change out before I try and make the trip from Oklahoma to Portland. Is it a PITA to change all the studs out?

Also can anyone recommend a really good manual for the fj40's? As I have plenty o' work ahead.

Jonathan

I would ask if you're talking front or rear...but either way it's a bit of a bother so that would be kind of a dumb question. If the studs are fine structurally, then why not just get a thread chasing tool (not a die, a thread chaser doesn't cut) and clean them up?

Then, you can apply small amount of anti-seize compound on re-assembly to keep things in good shape.

~John

I have a bunch of really rusty studs that I want to change out before I try and make the trip from Oklahoma to Portland. Is it a PITA to change all the studs out?

Also can anyone recommend a really good manual for the fj40's? As I have plenty o' work ahead.

Jonathan

oregon.

The studs are really bad. THe FJ sat outside with the same rims/tires for 23 years and the centers of the rims are all rusty, and the studs are degraded.

oregon.

The studs are really bad. THe FJ sat outside with the same rims/tires for 23 years and the centers of the rims are all rusty, and the studs are degraded.

The studs are relatively inexpensive, but to the fronts you will have to remove the front hubs and for the rear, the axles should come out. It will take you a full afternoon if you're set up for it and have all the tools ready to go.

~John

pretty much piece of cake. i once you get the pieces apart and ready, thread the old nuts about six or seven threads on and whack them with a small sledge. one or two times a piece should be enough to get them off. then press new studs in.

It's not hard to swap out the studs, I was able to to knock out 2 sets out of the junk yard for spares but these are from nice no-rust california trucks. With that much rust, thing could be a little more interesting.

and don't ever pull the studs in with an impact wrench, especially used ones. pull the hub or axle and do it right. there's nothing fun about going down the freeway on three wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom