Ceramic Coating Opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I just picked up my first LC on Friday. I'm very excited to be joining this group of enthusiasts. I was shopping for a clean certified used car for about 8 months. This one was a left over 2016 that was being sold as new with 560 miles on it for nearly what the used cars were going for so I couldn't pass it up. This was a sizable investment for me and I am considering a ceramic pro coating since it will be getting a lot of use as a daily driver and also sitting outside a fair bit. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and want to keep it nice. I think I will eventually give it to my son when he turns 16. (he is 1 now) Anyway, I have never had or known anyone that had this process done, so I don't know if it's all hype and cleaver marketing or if it lives up to the manufacturer's and installer's claims. Was considering the Gold "Lifetime Warranty" package. They quoted me 1650 plus tax. What are some of your thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

That seems steep for ceramic coating. Do your home work brah. How many years should it last?

Fargo_032Pyxurz.jpg

"...you don't get that TruCoat, you're gonna have oxidation problems, ya know..."

9h is the "life time coating" this is for exotic cars not an LC. 7h is a ceramic coating that should last 3 years. It's like having another clear coat on your paint.

The answer to your question is "it depends."

First you need to know exactly what product they intend to use and how they intend to prep the vehicle. The quoted price is pretty high without them first fully correcting and polishing the vehicle's surface so it's free of imperfections. Yes, a brand new vehicle needs this process as well. On a vehicle as large as a 200, even minor correction will take several hours worth of work between washing, prepping, and correcting. This is one reason a 200 will be expensive to coat.

There are only a handful of companies currently marketing their products as a lifetime solution (let's also realize a vehicle's lifetime for the majority of $$$ car owners is roughly 5 years these days). Unless your LC will be garaged and not see a ton of use, essentially no product will offer lifetime protection. Even if the coating lasted a lifetime and offers significant scratch protection, your clear coat will still get scratched from normal daily use and will need to be corrected at some point in the future. Most companies make several coatings, a less expensive option quoted for 2/3 years of use, and a more expensive product that is often quoted 5/7 years. Any vehicle with ceramic coating will require maintenance to keep the coating at its optimal level, usually its a spray-on product designed to be used 2 to 4 times a year.

Also is this quote just to do the exterior or are they coating the interior as well? The coating industry has advanced leaps and bounds in the last couple years and there are more products than ever promising better and longer term results. There are certainly some that deliver and others that don't.

Thanks for the info. The price quoted includes a full paint correction as well as the full exterior coated like 9 times or something like that in Ceramic Pro.

I think it just comes down to personal preference. On my wife's daily, I'm having a buddy correct and coat it with a 2/3 year product for $450. I know that in 2/3 years even with a better product it'll have a enough "damage" that it'd benefit from minor paint correction again. This is side gig for my friend, I'd estimate having this done at my local reputable detailer would cost close to $1k. I also know that people regularly drop close to $2k at that detailer when they bring in cars needing significant correction and then apply a longer term coating. The 200 is just a labor intensive job so going to cost a lot between time and product needed to complete the job.

If you decide to go the coating route just be prepared to follow all the needed maintenance to preserve the coating. It's not a free pass to use car washes, neglect the 2 bucket method, etc! It will still require time and knowledge from you to protect the "investment" of having it done.

I had a Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black (which also adds a hydrophobic layer over the ceramic coating) installed on my LC when it had about 400 miles on it. I love the way it feels. It's smooth as can be. Washing is an absolute breeze because nothing really sticks. I had it applied over my hood and bumper paint protection film (PPF) as well. It made that feel less like plastic and more like a really nice painted surface. The prep and installation was $1600, but I also had the wheels treated. There's no waxing, and the finish will last 7-9 years. So far I'm VERY pleased with it. My LC is Blizzard Pearl, so I did what I could to protect the paint. Pearl white is a bugger to touch up. A simple wash and dry makes it look like a freshly detailed car. Shine Supply makes some great products in general, but has some killer products that work well with ceramic coated vehicles.

Crystal Serum

SHINE SUPPLY — Your #1 Source for Quality Detailing Supplies

Great info guys. I'm doing an H7. I should last 3 years or so while being maintained by Smooth As Glass Auto Detail. It will be done in November. I'll give updates.

Lol!!! This is EXACTLY what I thought of too.

Fargo_032Pyxurz.jpg

"...you don't get that TruCoat, you're gonna have oxidation problems, ya know..."

FWIW, my experience in the detailing industry has taught me a couple of things:
1) No coating is really 'lifetime'
2) Dealerships charge a lot for a coating that's applied by someone who I doubt has much idea what they are doing.

Plenty of companies make decent coatings, but for it to last, the surface prep is key.

I've had good results with 22PLE liquid glass and Gyeon MOHS products. Yes, it takes time and a bit of work to apply it yourself, but at least you know it's done correctly.

Last edited:
Ceramic coatings are great, but the paint will still need correction from time to time, which will remove the coating. I feel my rigs will look better overall just doing a paint correction every year. I actually have fun with a DA polisher. Took my 11 for service recently and the advisor couldn't believe how new the paint looked, and my last correction was almost a year ago.

I had a Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black (which also adds a hydrophobic layer over the ceramic coating) installed on my LC when it had about 400 miles on it. I love the way it feels. It's smooth as can be. Washing is an absolute breeze because nothing really sticks. I had it applied over my hood and bumper paint protection film (PPF) as well. It made that feel less like plastic and more like a really nice painted surface. The prep and installation was $1600, but I also had the wheels treated. There's no waxing, and the finish will last 7-9 years. So far I'm VERY pleased with it. My LC is Blizzard Pearl, so I did what I could to protect the paint. Pearl white is a bugger to touch up. A simple wash and dry makes it look like a freshly detailed car. Shine Supply makes some great products in general, but has some killer products that work well with ceramic coated vehicles.

Crystal Serum

SHINE SUPPLY — Your #1 Source for Quality Detailing Supplies

I had Ceramic Pro applied to my LC before and now run this as well. Both are good products but won't be scratch/swirl proof and will need touch ups to last longer. Both products are excellent but the Serum works really well and gives a depth on my black vehicle.

$1,600 is a good price for paint correction and the coating in the LA area so regions may vary. It's more about the detailer and his skills than the product too. I would definitely check out his work and see if the reviews are legit. My LC was the least expensive car he's ever quoted as he works mostly on exotics.

Hello,
I just joined this forum. Here's my new 2017 with complete Suntek Ultra clear wrap and coated with Cquartz.
The results are fantastic.
Highly recommend it.

LC.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom