Center Differential Actuator gone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I just bought a 2002 Land Cruiser with about 250k miles on it. realized after a day that the Center Differential lock switch didn't seem to work - at least the indicator light for it didn't go on when I pressed the button. took the car to Toyota and was told the Center Differential Actuator was not working. first - still not clear on what that meant and its impact on normal driving. am I correct in understanding that this is more than the lock not working - that I actually just have 2WD only until the actuator is fixed? is there any real impact on day to day driving? new to all of this.

First, read your manual. That will cover what the center diff lock is and when to use it, as well as the 4wd system. If you search you'll find plenty of threads with people that have a similar issue. Most of them it's because the diff has never been locked, so the motor on the actuator isn't working. Some people are able to get it to work by "exercising" the actuator and locker. Again, search, there's a specific way to do this.

As for 2WD, your truck is full time 4WD, diff regardless. The center diff button isn't a 4x4 engage button.

It's probably not what you think. I had the same problem on my 06 LC. It was the actuator switch that detects when the diff is locked. It's a very cheap part to replace. Do you hear a click near the glove box when you activate the switch? In other words, the diff is probably locking but the actuator switch isn't turning on the light. Try activating it and driving it around the block. If it is locked, you'll feel the front end push when you try to turn 90 degrees. I used this switch and it worked perfectly. It's hard to get to but it can be done without removing anything. Expect some scratches and scrapes on your hands, though.

thanks. I do hear a click near the glove box when I switch the lock on and off but I just tried driving around the block and didn't really feel a difference. I'll keep on trying to engage it - maybe I'll have some luck.

With the center diff locked and on dry pavement, be careful when making a U-turn. If you feel the truck is hesitant to move, STOP. You have to slowly reverse while keeping the steering wheel in the same position to avoid any expensive gear wheel damage. This is called binding.

FYI, you are probably not going to ruin your truck testing the center diff lock on pavement if you don't make a habit of it. But if the center lock engages you will definitely be able to tell as you'll scrub your tires when trying to turn. It will scrub and hob/bind. Sometimes when you disengage the diff lock, it's spooled up a little and you need to backup a foot or two like the above poster said to release it. No biggie. I'm triple locked so when I lock everything up on pavement I can't even turn the truck.

As everyone has mentioned, cycle the CDL several times. The switch that turns on the indicator gets fussy if it's not used.

If you need to replace the switch, it's a cramped but not difficult procedure. Toyota OEM is costly, there is an aftermarket switch that fits fine and is much cheaper.

I actually might have one sitting on the shelf if you determine it's what you need.

I posted a link in #3 above to a switch that works perfectly in place of the OEM switch and is less than $15.

If this were the case, every trip to Moab would result in expensive gear and wheel damage.
But this is not the case, and it won't hurt your truck to do a U-turn with the center diff locked.

With the center diff locked and on dry pavement, be careful when making a U-turn. If you feel the truck is hesitant to move, STOP. You have to slowly reverse while keeping the steering wheel in the same position to avoid any expensive gear wheel damage. This is called binding.

thanks for all the info. still looking into it. have tried the switch many times - diff lock hasn't engaged and the light hasn't gone on. when I took the truck into Toyota they said the test showed no current to the actuator motor. bringing the truck into a LC dedicated mechanic for another issue and I'll see what he says.

I'm in the same situation. Replaced the sensor switch on the tcase and that did not solve the problem. When I push the center diff lock switch, I hear a motor start and end over by the glovebox relay. Some people have said it makes a click at the end of the motor cycle. Is that a very audible click? I think I just need to try turning this on and off a few times and driving some big figure 8s on some gravel to see if I can persuade it to start working/indicating again. Any other tips here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom