Caught the bug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after 6 months of staring, drooling, and bugging my wife I bought my first land cruiser. It’s a 1987, 215k, and I got it for a whopping $2500.

I think I bought the rustiest cruiser in North America however the frame has nothing but light surface rust (that I saw).

I will be starting somewhat of a “budget” frame up restoration. I am however needing some help from some of you guys that have been at this awhile. If anyone can’t point me in the direction of both L & R rocker panels I’d really appreciate it. I have generally been able to find everything else on the shopping list except these.

Here is my progress photos the last couple days and pictures of all the rust for your general enjoyment of the s***show I’ve gotten myself into.

adjusted carb and got it running
stripped interior to inspect for additional rust

31B0C40E-E69D-403D-AC5A-F3C31213F8AE.png

6A382092-DEA4-4F80-BC70-7169A89A4C58.jpeg

FCEFC54E-91AA-4382-AD6E-C3B4A8C15B39.jpeg

D7E7A8C3-ECC9-4BC5-B890-CBE6BA564A5A.jpeg

4C243941-CF89-4823-87B7-0CD9D7E003A6.jpeg

Nice!!! Helluva project!! Best of luck!

The rust belt guys usually head the direction of Arizona to find rust free examples of these. Living in Arizona, I can understand why you did the opposite. It makes about as much sense as buying your land cruiser parts from an Alfa Romeo site... but here you go

Looks like a fun project.

I thought about low balling that guy and picking it up for parts. The ad said the fuel tank had a hole in it so make sure the recall has been done, there’s a possibility you may get a free tank out of it.

Also, if you have no need for that rack, I’d be willing to buy it and give you some rust repair money. 😂

The rust belt guys usually head the direction of Arizona to find rust free examples of these. Living in Arizona, I can understand why you did the opposite. It makes about as much sense as buying your land cruiser parts from an Alfa Romeo site... but here you go

They do salt the state roads up north in winter, so “rust free” in Arizona can be a misconception. Unless you’re like me who lives in Phoenix, here it’s summer all year long.

What are your goals for the truck? Might be a good one to just chop the rockers, quarters, and wheelwells, throw some 37's on and go out and have some fun out on the Arizona trails.

Im not planning on wheeling with it. Ome and some 33’s is my thought.

the cruiser was bought from camp verde and lived most of its life up north.

The guy I bought it from was in a rush to sell so I got it for 2500

I don’t have the keys for the rack but if you want to deal with it I’m in central Phoenix

thank you!

rush to sell for 2,500...what was he asking?

Still seems high but idk

I thought it was a good entry point because I can weld and replacement doors and what not seem to be easy to find. $1000 & some work vs 5-8k price tags I had been seeing where if end up doing a lot of the same work.

Yank the body and sell for parts and scrap. Drop a new aluminum fj45 tub on there and build up a 45 tray back

I don’t think its that bad at all. Especially if you can swap doors and panels. Rockers and quarters aren’t hard to do.

I’m surprised it’s that rusty from a life in Camp Verde. I’ve spent a bit of time in that area, and always thought the older vehicles looked good compared to what we have back here. I almost bought an 84 last time I was in a Flagstaff.

Im not planning on wheeling with it. Ome and some 33’s is my thought.

the cruiser was bought from camp verde and lived most of its life up north.

The guy I bought it from was in a rush to sell so I got it for 2500

I don’t have the keys for the rack but if you want to deal with it I’m in central Phoenix
Sent you a message.

I thought about low balling that guy and picking it up for parts. The ad said the fuel tank had a hole in it so make sure the recall has been done, there’s a possibility you may get a free tank out of it.

Also, if you have no need for that rack, I’d be willing to buy it and give you some rust repair money. 😂

Do they still have the recall for the fuel tank? I thought I read something from Beno that they were no longer available years ago.

Do they still have the recall for the fuel tank? I thought I read something from Beno that they were no longer available years ago.

The tank is the least of my concerns. When I have the body off Ill repair/replace. I filled the tank completely full when leaving camp verde and didn’t see any drips. There is a leaking fuel line however.

Yes, AFAIK the parts are still available separately, and can be ordered that way. I believe the recall “kit” is NLA.

Got some more work done today. BlackCat and I figured out the easiest way to remove a roof rack. Neither of us would be successful locksmiths or criminals.

Doors off, wiring pulled forward, headliner removed, ebrake disconnected, dash is loose-ish.

92A0F10B-FED2-47D5-BFAB-30151AD6B407.jpeg

6A48E8C4-3D89-4A5F-91A7-D2770FB56516.jpeg

A54B7893-39C3-4C4B-890E-D5102CF7921A.jpeg

ECBEF061-1A24-4873-B63A-3D8772920C34.jpeg

881E7A81-0443-47C1-93F4-0F69D58827E0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom