Catalytic Converter Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 100 series Land Cruiser. When I start it up it sounds like its fan is running way louder. I suspected it was the catalytic converter and the mechanic confirmed the left was running hot. He suggested I replace them both (of course) but I was thinking about trying a catalytic cleaner first.
1) Is the cleaner worth a try?
2) If I do have to replace it, what should I be looking for in the part. I was quoted $2k plus for the part from the shop, but have found them pretty cheap on EBAY and online auto shops. mechanic agreed to put in what i can get.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

Going to back you up, your fan (radiator fan) is running loud and that equals the cat? Not sure I see the correlation there at all.

That said, VERY rare for cats to go bad on these trucks, unless you maybe ignored an o2 sensor for a long time and let them foul the cat material. Think you need a new mechanic too.

what’s the noise, maybe a heat shield loose vibrating against something ?

If it's a factory converter that's not rattling inside then there is a good chance it can be cleaned. I do a ultrasonic cleaning with de-greaser, rinse and then acid soak, rinse and then dry. More important to make sure nothing else is going on. any misfires? burning coolant? burning too much oil? any of these issues can cause converter issues.

First I've ever heard, using a start up sound, to diagnose a bad CAT. Especial when two CATs feeding into one muffler.
If CAT burned out. Some hit CAT while heat shields off, with rubber mallet. This is to listen for loose (burnt out) material. Hit to hard and may break up CAT, and kill the CAT.

Bad CAT will set off a DTC, and you'll get a CEL (Check engine light).

Last edited:
If it is indeed bad, try the cleaner then the cheaper pipes. Be sure to report back!

Brad

Make sure you put on a nice shirt, dress pants and remove your gloves when you clean your cat with every possible chemical you find around.

Besides the fact that a noisy fan isn't related to a catalytic issue (unless it overheats the engine and you'll see it on the gauges before your fan can feel it)), and bad cats will throw a check engine light that you can read with the cheapest scanner (o2 sensors for that matter), if you do want to try a quick way to clean your catalytic converters without going through the pain of removing (PITA job) you can use the Scotty Kilmer way, dumping a gallon of lacquer thinner in the gas tank and go for a ride.

I tried it on a car I didn't care for, and it actually worked! It was very laggy and lacked power, the CEL was flashing all the time and smelled bad, but after a day driving around in a "spirited" manner (gave it the beans as the British say), it came back to life and sold it without issues yet.

Last edited:
OP not responding is well--- We're likely wasting our time.

But I'll note: OP said "sound like" I took this to mean "Like" the "turbo sound" we hear, when fan clutch full engaged. Not that he hears the fan being loud or strange.

Last edited:
The CC is simply is a gauze so a good flush seems practical and why not just rip them out? Screw the codes
Because they do service a very valuable function.
It is also illegal, in the USA by federal law. To not have fully functioning, remove or alter any and all emission equipment.
Additionally data for A/f and 02 sensors, is used to control fuel/air mixture.
Additionally our OEM CAT's, always have external cause, resulting in their failing. Mostly upstream issues, which need addressing.

I'm going for Emission test today, in my 07LX 1/175K miles.
Last emission test, I did. Was on my 03LX w/315K miles. State calibration inspector was in shop at the time. He, approach me afterwards. Ask to see my emission print-out sheet. He couldn't believe how good the readings were. Asked if it was a new or rebuild engine. I said NOPE! It's a Toyota 4.7L 2UZ-fe factory original build and original CATs. The Million Miles Engine, as it's known/called. Even the Million mile Toyota with 4.7L had the factory CATs.

We may not be the most carbon friendly vehicles on the road. But still, we need to keep than running to spec, and as clean as possible.

Last edited:
Going to back you up, your fan (radiator fan) is running loud and that equals the cat? Not sure I see the correlation there at all.

That said, VERY rare for cats to go bad on these trucks, unless you maybe ignored an o2 sensor for a long time and let them foul the cat material. Think you need a new mechanic too.
Do you know how much time it takes to mess up the cat? Drive probably like 90 minutes so far after my o2 sensor went bad. Not gunna take my 100 on any trips until I replace it, but it did smell a little sulfur-y.

While this now ranks in my top ten YouTube videos I've ever seen - ranked both in quality of subtitles and general entertainment value - I cannot envision a circumstance in which I would actually do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom