Stolen Catalytic Converter LC100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The driver side catalytic converter was stolen on my 1998 Lexus LX 470. Reaching out to the forum group here to ask about whether I can replace the catalytic converter or does the mufflers need to be replaced as well. Also appreciate any comments on oxygen sensor.

I live in CA and require a smog test. Appreciate any suggestions OEM v non OEM.

71601610303__8BD64A45-AE20-4D3D-824C-EF4D05070C49.jpeg

71601606882__504DBC62-4C3D-44D5-BC00-493613AF54B1.jpeg

71601605632__2A15EA8F-B618-4DFD-8CEA-C1F495EF007C.jpeg

Last edited:
You can install just the cats without touching the muffler. Luckily they left you a nice clean cut to weld the new one in. So considerate.

Basturds were not gentle, were they.

Didn’t think this is a popular model to steal from…
Doesn't matter what model it came from as these aren't resold as is. They are broken down for precious metals extraction.

The last bust I read about was in California where the police stopped a ring stealing these and found 3 MILLION of them in a warehouse! Apparently, they were being loaded in cargo containers and to be sent overseas.

Aftermarket cats are not legal in CA as far as I know and many sellers won't shipp A/M cats to CA address. those bastards cut the trans guard too

I put aftermarket as oem is way to expensive.

There's a few aftermarket sellers that say their CAT's are CARB approved and will pass emissions in CA, but if you're considering keeping the 100 for a long term, do yourself a favor, get OEM if possible, even if used from EBAY, and guard it with a belly pan or something, I did aftermarkets so I don't have to worry about them anymore, but I kinda regret that decision cause they already rattle a bit when cold started, and they stink like cheap chemicals are burnt in there for a while. Plus I know they won't last as long..

Wish there was a resolution to the CAT delete thread about getting rid of CEL successfully. Since I'm not in a state that inspects smog, it'd be ideal, no more worry..

OEM replacement cats for 98-02 are no longer available unfortunately. One of mine was stolen 2 years ago and even then there were none left in the country and no more being made. I had to go with a Magnaflow "oem grade" which as mentioned is already rattling on cold start, I knew that would happen and damn thieves! I installed an ASFIR skid for protection after replacement.

Last edited:
Does any one have other catalytic shield suggestion for lc100s?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom